Texsinbad

K-1 Late Filers Note: Green Card Interview Approved

36 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, missileman said:

OP has closed his account........

I wonder if he will be back (under a new account) if/when she applies for naturalization. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Rick & Apple said:

Also glad that no one in her family in the Philippines got sick or worse and she needed to go back quickly. She would have had to start the process over.

I grouped that into "no way she would need to travel abroad in 5+ years.". :P

Yes, start over. Also with a 10 year ban that would need to be waived (around $1k more and an extra year of processing).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
38 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I wonder if he will be back (under a new account) if/when she applies for naturalization. 🤷‍♂️

Judging by the manner in which they filed AoS, she’s still like 15 years away from applying for citizenship.

Not sure why he took offense to anything that was directed at him.  I’m glad it worked well for him and his wife, who would have been in an awful position if things had gone sideways, I just didn’t want anyone to read that and think that’s a normal circumstance, because it’s not.  AoS is expensive, yes, but necessary.  What did she do all day every day for 5 years!?  I mean, you can only clean the house so much.  I would have been bored out of my mind. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Even though OP has decided to close his account, I would like to say that I was surprised by the "no reason to AoS" part. No reason? Even if your spouse has no intention to work or to travel, if they are not US citizens, they are DEPORTABLE unless they file for AoS or have legal status. If any of you had had any kind of health problems, emergencies abroad, or any other change of circumstances, a person without legal status would see their life crumble apart.

So yes, there is a reason why people in this forum recommend filing AoS as soon as you can, regardless of whether people plan to travel abroad or work. Having legal status/authorized stay is the point.

Not having to count on luck is the point.

Edited by Nat&Amy

1 minute ago, Cryssiekins said:

Judging by the manner in which they filed AoS, she’s still like 15 years away from applying for citizenship.

Not sure why he took offense to anything that was directed at him.  I’m glad it worked well for him and his wife, who would have been in an awful position if things had gone sideways, I just didn’t want anyone to read that and think that’s a normal circumstance, because it’s not.  AoS is expensive, yes, but necessary.  What did she do all day every day for 5 years!?  I mean, you can only clean the house so much.  I would have been bored out of my mind. 

Not gonna lie, when I saw @missileman post as the first response I figured the OP would take offense and leave. When you're telling someone "Man that must have been hard on your spouse being able to do nothing for that long" it can def cause some guilt on the OP's end which I'm sure just turned into immediate defensive mode, but Missile wasn't wrong in mentioning that at all.

I'm glad this post happened though, because there was a post a couple of weeks ago where a person was saying that everyone is morally obligated to AOS their spouse and that there is no reason to NOT AOS their spouse.

I mentioned that some people choose not to either because of financial issues, they simply don't want/need to and the spouse is okay with it (this case it seems), or because they don't want too and they are trapping their spouse without their spouse understanding what is happening.

If the OP is a case of getting himself a housewife, then... I mean other than the obvious could-be-deported-at-any-time fear that should always linger, it's possible that she was perfectly fine not driving anywhere, using her husbands debits cards, and staying at home and playing the good ol' 50's house wife. There are people who still crave that life, the OP may be one of those people.

One thing I truly enjoy about VJ is how each and every persons individual views on relationships and how they end up either working with or conflicting with immigration. If the OP and his spouse where USC's and they lived their life like this, they'd probably be fine, it's the lack of understanding that when you put Immigration into the mix, you can't just have that beautiful dream life you may have had if you had a USC spouse, sometimes you have to compromise.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Ash. said:

If the OP is a case of getting himself a housewife, then... I mean other than the obvious could-be-deported-at-any-time fear that should always linger, it's possible that she was perfectly fine not driving anywhere, using her husbands debits cards, and staying at home and playing the good ol' 50's house wife. There are people who still crave that life, the OP may be one of those people

But see, I think that this is where the danger resides. I think that being a housewife and having that lifestyle you mentioned is perfectly ok (I myself was one for a long time and if money wasn't so short I would have zero problems staying home, I don't drive so I don't really care about DL, etc), my issue will always be with living in a country with absolute no means to legally overcome certain circumstances.

For instance: me, a housewife, go buy my groceries and get involved in a traffic accident. Officer asks to see my papers. I don't have them. Now what?

My loving spouse whose debit card I am happy to use decides she wants to divorce me. Now what?

My mother or father (who I talk to regularly on Skype, so no need to go visit them in my home country) is diagnosed with a serious illness. I need to travel ASAP. Now what?

It's not about judging people's lifestyles. Whether a spouse is okay with being home all day or not is their decision and no one else's. More than a "moral imperative", AoS is basically a basic need for peace of mind. It's the smart, responsible decision to take because you just don't know what tomorrow will bring.

Edited by Nat&Amy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Thread locked as the OP has closed his account~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.