Ariesown

Does age and previous marriage matter?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello. I and my fiancee would like to file a petition for the K1 visa. The issue bothering us is the fact that she's twice my age and been previously married to someone from my country. We would like to know our chances before we proceed. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Ariesown said:

Hello. I and my fiancee would like to file a petition for the K1 visa. The issue bothering us is the fact that she's twice my age and been previously married to someone from my country. We would like to know our chances before we proceed. 

from my understanding your embassy is going to be a hard one, you have an automatic red flag the age difference. Are you the USC or is she?

it would be a hard road but not one that cant be overcome with a lot of evidence.

if she is the USC has she petitioned for anyone else before?

You won’t be denied based on age difference alone. The CO will look at all the facts of your case before making a decision. 

How much time have you spent together in person? Did you get engaged on the first visit? How long ago was her previous marriage? Also, how do you feel about never being able to have children with her? I’m guessing she must be at least 40...

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
2 hours ago, Khallaf said:

from my understanding your embassy is going to be a hard one, you have an automatic red flag the age difference. Are you the USC or is she?

it would be a hard road but not one that cant be overcome with a lot of evidence.

Thanks for your response. Yes she's the USC. And no she hasn't done the K1 before. She did the spousal visa for her ex after they had gotten married here

Timeline
1 hour ago, JFH said:

You won’t be denied based on age difference alone. The CO will look at all the facts of your case before making a decision. 

How much time have you spent together in person? Did you get engaged on the first visit? How long ago was her previous marriage? Also, how do you feel about never being able to have children with her? I’m guessing she must be at least 40...

We spent 3 weeks together. Yes we got engaged during the first visit. Her previous marriage lasted 8 years. Not being able to have children is not a problem so long as we have each other. Yes she's above 40

Edited by Ariesown
Additional information

How long have you been communicating? Have you only had the one visit? 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ariesown said:

Thanks for your response. Yes she's the USC. And no she hasn't done the K1 before. She did the spousal visa for her ex after they had gotten married here

if she is twice your age, your going to need a lot more visit and a lot more evidence, how long ago was the spouse visa?

you have a tough embassy and if the age difference is not within the cultural norm, your going to have a battle on your hands.

IMO I would recommend more visits, more pictures, more time spent together.

does your family accept the difference in age?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Many others in your situation, with a similar age difference, get married and file for a CR-1, with lots of evidence of time spent together, many visits to see each other in person, co-mingling of finances, etc. in order to be successful.  So be prepared for that if the K-1 is not approved.  Or be ready to live together in Nigeria and not in the US if necessary to be together.

Timeline
8 hours ago, Khallaf said:

if she is twice your age, your going to need a lot more visit and a lot more evidence, how long ago was the spouse visa?

you have a tough embassy and if the age difference is not within the cultural norm, your going to have a battle on your hands.

IMO I would recommend more visits, more pictures, more time spent together.

does your family accept the difference in age?

Alright. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'll deliberate with my lady. 

Timeline
7 hours ago, carmel34 said:

Many others in your situation, with a similar age difference, get married and file for a CR-1, with lots of evidence of time spent together, many visits to see each other in person, co-mingling of finances, etc. in order to be successful.  So be prepared for that if the K-1 is not approved.  Or be ready to live together in Nigeria and not in the US if necessary to be together.

Okay. We'll give the K1 a shot and hope for the best 

Yeah, age difference, only 3 weeks together in person, prior spouse from same country, AND the country is Nigeria... spells a denial for K-1 almost without a doubt, BUT crazier things have happened.

Also note that when @Khallaf asked about if your family accepts the difference in age, that you will need to expect questions like this from the consulate. 

If you want the K-1 to have a chance, she or you will need to find a way to visit more. 

Depending on the consulate anything can matter. Age difference, religion difference, prior marriages, prior sponsoring of immigrants, time dated, time seen each other in person, anything.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
13 hours ago, Khallaf said:

Someone cannot be denied based on age alone, that's discrimination.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Nigeria is one of the toughest countries to go through, be prepared for A LOT of scrutiny.

I am 21 years older than my husband, we are different religions, I am divorced with two children and we married on my first visit. He is now a citizen and the entire process from start to finish was uneventful for us, not even so much as an RFE at any point.

But leading up to his interview I visited an additional 4 times for a total of almost 5 months together over 7 months time. He is also from a low fraud country, we applied for the CR-1 and I attended the interview with him.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Cathi said:

Someone cannot be denied based on age alone, that's discrimination.

And any denial will never stipulate age difference but a lack of a "bonafide " relationship because it is definitionaly ambiguous and subjective 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.