Lizzie And Zach

Visiting once K1 visa is approved

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked/ answered before.

We are in the process of planning our wedding and obtaining a K1 visa.  We were wondering if you are allowed to enter the US on a different visa (eg. ESTA or B1/B2) once your K1 visa has been approved?

We have seen lots of information about visiting DURING the K1 visa process but nothing about visiting once it has been approved.  We're I'm trying to find out if you can choose when to use your K1 for entry (for the actual wedding time) and use a tourist visa in the meantime (for planning and visits).

I hope that makes sense and I hope someone will help us!

Thank you!

Lizzie & Zach

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, LizzieR said:

Hi,

We are in the process of planning our wedding and obtaining a K1 visa.  We were wondering if you are allowed to enter the US on a different visa (eg. ESTA or B1/B2) once your K1 visa has been approved?

We have seen lots of information about visiting DURING the K1 visa process but nothing about visiting once it has been approved.  We're I'm trying to find out if you can choose when to use your K1 for entry (for the actual wedding time) and use a tourist visa in the meantime (for planning and visits).

Thank you!

Lizzie & Zach

No.  K1 in the passport trumps everything else.   Most likely if you have a b1/2 it will be cancelled upon issuance of the k1 

YMMV

Generally, any other non-immigrant visa is cancelled when they issue the K-1 visa. But more practically, CBP usually uses the K-1 visa at POE to admit you. The visa is single use.

I will say that there are cases where people have been lucky. But don't rely on it...the expectation is that they will admit you with K-1 status and then your 90 days to marry & AOS start.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As an example of what @geowrian just stated:  when I arrived at POE, in a truck with most of my belongings (land border at Lewiston, NY), the CBP Officer asked if I would be using my K-1 that day, or just a regular crossing.  I was a little surprised that he was serious because I had no idea that was an option.  I’m guessing it’s likely bc I’m Canadian and the relationship and reciprocity with record sharing, but I would most definitely not count on being able to do so.  

Edited by Cryssiekins

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
49 minutes ago, LizzieR said:

Hi,

Thank you!

Lizzie & Zach

Do you already have your visa in your passport?  You could make a trip just before your interview. But you could save that money and just plan and visit during your 90 days if needed.

1 hour ago, Cryssiekins said:

I’m guessing it’s likely bc I’m Canadian and the relationship and reciprocity with record sharing, but I would most definitely not count on being able to do so.  

Yep I’ve only seen this with Canadians and only in the land border 

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Yes, we did this. We asked them during our interview in October if they could set this up and not cancel his visa to visit me for Thanksgiving. They said yes. When I flew home to the US after the interview, I asked the CBP during my layover in Dallas if my then-fiance could do this. He also said yes. The officer just said make sure he goes into the B2 visa line.

He came over in November and no one even asked him about the K1 at JFK even though it was in his passport. He moved on the K1 in March. But I wouldn't do it without getting permission from your local consulate first. 

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.