MancRed

Help with Adjustment of Status

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi All,

I'm looking to get a head start on the AOS process. If possible, can someone provide some use links to forums etc. (which steps do I need to take first)

Thanks in advance :)

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/adjustment-of-status

Edited by Becci391
ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

I would check out the Adjustment of Status forums on here.

Look out for common mistakes, e.g. using the wrong line from the tax forms for total income from previous taxes in the I-864. It is line 22 (total income) from Form 1040 for years 2017 and prior, and line 6 from Form 1040 for 2018. Triple check everything. I have included my cover page as a template for you below for AOS from a K1. I just had my case progressed to Ready to be Scheduled for Interview, with no RFEs.

Note that you do not have to include a certified copy of your marriage certificate, as a photocopy is normally sufficient, but I have read claims of people being given RFIEs to produce it, so I decided to include a certified copy just to be on the safe side.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please find enclosed the following documents in support of this Adjustment of Status application for ..., a citizen of the United Kingdom (the applicant), who married ..., a citizen of the United States, within 90 days of entry on a K1 Fiancé visa:

1. Form G-1450 Authorization for Credit Card Transactions authorizing a payment of $1225.

2. Form G-1145 E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance for I-485, I-765 and I-131 applications.

3. Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, including the following supporting documents:

1. Form I-485, signed and dated ....

2. Two passport style photographs of the applicant, taken on ....

3. Certified copy of marriage certificate.

4. Electronic I-94 form for most recent entry of the applicant.

5. Copy of the applicant’s foreign birth certificate.

6. Copy of form I-797C Notice of Action – Approval notice for I-129F fiancé petition.

7. Copy of form I-797C Notice of Action – Receipt notice for I-129F fiancé petition.

8. DS-3025 U.S. Department of State Vaccination Document Worksheet.

9. Copy of 221(g) request for evidence issued by the US Consulate in London for missing medical report at the time of the K1 interview. Medical report was later received and the visa issued.

10. Copy of full passport including all passport pages, stamps, and visas.

4. Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization, including the following supporting documents:

1. Two passport style photographs of the applicant, taken on ....

1. Form I-131 Application for Travel Document, including the following supporting documents:

1. Two passport style photographs of the applicant, taken on ....

2. Form I-864, Affidavit of Support from sponsor (...) includes:

1. Letter describing the US sponsor’s income.

2. Copy of the US sponsor’s biographic passport page.

3. Employment verification letter.

4. Last 6 months of pay stubs.

5. Copy of latest IRS tax return, including W2s and 1099s, for tax year 2018.

Edited by coltr
Formatting

Timeline
5 minutes ago, coltr said:

I would check out the Adjustment of Status forums on here.

Look out for common mistakes, e.g. using the wrong line from the tax forms for total income from previous taxes in the I-864. It is line 22 (total income) from Form 1040 for years 2017 and prior, and line 6 from Form 1040 for 2018. Triple check everything. I have included my cover page as a template for you below for AOS from a K1. I just had my case progressed to Ready to be Scheduled for Interview, with no RFEs.

Note that you do not have to include a certified copy of your marriage certificate, as a photocopy is normally sufficient, but I have read claims of people being given RFIEs to produce it, so I decided to include a certified copy just to be on the safe side.

Amazing! Thanks for providing this info! 

If possible, can you share some links to the forums/topics I should look for?

Cheers

*~*~*non-country specific question moved from United Kingdom regional forum to “AOS from K visas”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

And when your all done and at your wits end it should like nice and pretty like this.....333381562_AOS.jpg.3a1795afd4300f5b8880c01cf8cc5486.jpg

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
16 minutes ago, coltr said:

Start off reading the forms themselves and the instructions provided by USCIS. You will find conflicting information elsewhere, and USCIS is always the golden standard. Make sure you have the latest versions and do not download copies from elsewhere, as these will be returned to you. Try to complete the forms based on USCIS instructions first, then you will know the right questions to ask, without being biased by reading potentially outdated or incorrect information on here.

I-864 https://www.uscis.gov/i-864

I-485 https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

I-765 https://www.uscis.gov/i-765

I-131 https://www.uscis.gov/i-131

G-1145 https://www.uscis.gov/g-1145

G-1450 https://www.uscis.gov/g-1450 (if paying by card, and filing at a lockbox location)

Work out where to file. For adjustment of status from a K1, this will be the Chicago lockbox. Make sure to send to the correct address, depending on whether you are sending by USPS or a courier:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-485-addresses

Calculate your filing fee. Make sure you pay the correct fee. For an individual on a K1 (no children) filing for AOS, work, and travel authorization all in one application with no other petitions, this should be $1225, but please use the fee calculator to confirm:

https://www.uscis.gov/feecalculator

These common mistakes are a useful resource:

https://cliniclegal.org/resources/five-most-common-mistakes-completing-i-864

Also, when providing evidence of income for the I-864, include either the US Citizen's/sponsor's full tax return for 2018 along with all W2s and 1099s, or full tax transcripts for at least the most recent tax year. Do not include a mixture of both, as this confuses the process and can result in an RFE. Also include the last 6 months of paystubs. USCIS usually want to see at least 6 months of income for the latest job, and not providing this is a common RFE.

Check out these forums and compare your packet against what others have prepared:

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/7-adjustment-of-status-green-card-from-k1-and-k3-family-based-visas/

Assemble all of your forms in the same order as on your cover letter (use mine as a template), and clip each section together with binder clips.

Excellent..!!!

Thank you for this! I really appreciate your help! 

Good luck! Make sure to question everything. It took me a few attempts to get everything right.

A few more pointers:

• On the I-765 your eligibility category is (c)(9).
  • On the I-131 your application type in Part 2 is 1d ("I am applying for an Advance Parole Document to allow me to return to the United States after temporary foreign travel.").
  • On the I-131, estimate your travel dates. Request the document for more than one trip. You are not restricted to travel on the dates that you specify. You can just put "visiting family" or similar with a notional date some time in August. You will receive an AP document valid for multiple trips.
  • Your Alien Registration Number (A-Number), which you are asked to include on all pages, is only present on your K1 NOA2 and you won't find it anywhere else.
  • Your I-94, which you are required to include, is available electronically here https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94 and can be printed off to serve as an official copy. Check that it is correct and shows your entry on a K-1.
  • Request a Social Security Number at least 14 days before your 90 days on the K1 (shown on your I-94) is due to expire. If you do not, then you will have to wait for your EAD before you can get a Social Security Number. I received mine 2 weeks after applying. You will be asked to include it on your forms if you have received it. It is useful to have a social for opening bank accounts, building credit, setting up cell phone contracts, etc.
  • File for Adjustment of Status before your I-94 expires, otherwise technically you are out of status. Your NOA-1 for your AOS will then be used to prove your status in the US, if ever required to do so.
  • Obviously ensure you get married before the 90 days expires!
Edited by coltr
typo

Timeline
58 minutes ago, coltr said:

Good luck! Make sure to question everything. It took me a few attempts to get everything right.

A few more pointers:

• On the I-765 your eligibility category is (c)(9).
  • On the I-131 your application type in Part 2 is 1d ("I am applying for an Advance Parole Document to allow me to return to the United States after temporary foreign travel.").
  • On the I-131, estimate your travel dates. Request the document for more than one trip. You are not restricted to travel on the dates that you specify. You can just put "visiting family" or similar with a notional date some time in August. You will receive an AP document valid for multiple trips.
  • Your Alien Registration Number (A-Number), which you are asked to include on all pages, is only present on your K1 NOA2 and you won't find it anywhere else.
  • Your I-94, which you are required to include, is available electronically here https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94 and can be printed off to serve as an official copy. Check that it is correct and shows your entry on a K-1.
  • Request a Social Security Number at least 14 days before your 90 days on the K1 (shown on your I-94) is due to expire. If you do not, then you will have to wait for your EAD before you can get a Social Security Number. I received mine 2 weeks after applying. You will be asked to include it on your forms if you have received it. It is useful to have a social for opening bank accounts, building credit, setting up cell phone contracts, etc.
  • File for Adjustment of Status before your I-94 expires, otherwise technically you are out of status. Your NOA-1 for your AOS will then be used to prove your status in the US, if ever required to do so.
  • Obviously ensure you get married before the 90 days expires!

Perfect! 

Cheers for your help! :D

17 hours ago, MancRed said:

I'm looking to get a head start on the AOS process. If possible, can someone provide some use links to forums etc. (which steps do I need to take first)

Not with that display picture, no...

Just kidding. I know others have pointed you to the right direction. The only thing I would say is - take your time, be thorough and double & Triple check everything. 

Let us know if you have questions. Good luck with the process. 

And good luck with Barca today ;) 

Timeline
10 hours ago, AtlToBlr said:

Not with that display picture, no...

Just kidding. I know others have pointed you to the right direction. The only thing I would say is - take your time, be thorough and double & Triple check everything. 

Let us know if you have questions. Good luck with the process. 

And good luck with Barca today ;) 

Lmao Barca game was disappointing, best chance we’ve had to beat them in years! We blew it! ☹️

Thanks mate! Appreciate it! I will for sure be dropping you a msg in the future! 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

11 hours ago, MancRed said:

best chance we’ve had to beat them in years

Weirdly, I pick you guys as the lesser of the two evils so I was secretly rooting for you haha. 

11 hours ago, MancRed said:

Lmao Barca game was disappointing, best chance we’ve had to beat them in years! We blew it! ☹️

Thanks mate! Appreciate it! I will for sure be dropping you a msg in the future! 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

Anytime, feel free to message - I check visajourney regularly although its been a while since my wife has been done with AOS lol. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.