dunebuggy

How to file ROC I-751 when already living overseas? Step by step

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi VJers! I tried to do some research to figure out how to apply for the I-751 while already overseas. Hopefully this helps someone in a similar situation. 

Some context of our situation - One USC and One LPR (Spain national)

• Conditional GC issued Aug 11, 2017
    • Conditional GC expires Aug 11, 2019
  • I-131 filed March 2018 and I-327 Travel Document / Reentry Permit (REP) issued Jun 29, 2018
    • I-327 expires Aug 11, 2019 (aligning with Conditional GC expiration)
    • REP was mostly a precaution, we don't plan on remaining outside US for more than 1 year at a time
  • We are currently living abroad on a temporary job assignment (1-2 more years) and have been outside the US since July 2, 2018. 
  • We plan to return to our permanent US residence in late June 2019 (prior to 1 year absence)

Here is what I believe are next steps for ROC I-751. Can the kind forum experts please advise if this is accurate? :) Thank you!

1. ROC can be filed from May 13, 2019 (T-90 days from GC expiration Aug 11, 2019)
    • USA-based parents will mail the physical I-751 application from our US address
    • Include US address to avoid “overseas hold”
      • To avoid the "overseas hold", an applicant should be sure to list a U.S. address. It may be also be important for the I-751 to explain the reason the LPR is overseas, demonstrate that LPR status has not been abandoned, state that the LPR will attend the scheduled biometrics interview and appointment, and request that the case not be subject to the overseas hold.
  2. Return to US to do biometrics (if required), hopefully around 3 months after May ROC filing
  3. I-797C notice (to extend residency while ROC is pending) sent to US address
    • When physical I-797C received, my US parents send to us abroad 
  4. Need to enter US again before July 2020 (to avoid 1 year absence and risk abandoning GC)

Click to expand I-751 ROC Timeline

Spoiler

I-751 ROC application

May 13, 2019: Opening of 90 day window to send application

May 25, 2019: [Day 0] Sent I-751 package to Phoenix via USPS Priority

May 31, 2019: [Day 6] NOA1 received (18 mo extension) & check cashed

June 09, 2019: [Day 15]  Biometrics Waived Letter Received, service center "NBC", text reading "This notice informs you that USCIS is able to reuse your previously captured fingerprints and other biometrics. USCIS will run the same security checks and use your biometric data as in the past, however, it is not necessary for you to appear at a USCIS Application Support Center (ASC) for biometrics appointment."

Sept 13, 2019:  Notice that I-751 was transferred to another office "That office now has jurisdiction over your case" 

Apr 7, 2020:  Notice that I-751 was transferred to another office "That office now has jurisdiction over your case" 

Mar 5, 2021:  Interview scheduled for April 16, 2021.

Apr 16, 2021:  Interview in Portland, OR. Refused entry to USCIS office due to have traveled abroad in the past 10 days. No interview. However, a few hours after refusal, received notice of approval and card produced!  

Apr 20, 2021:  Card mailed! "On April 20, 2021, we mailed your new card for your Form I751, PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS ON RESIDENCE"

Click to expand AOS Timeline / I-131 Reentry Permit Timeline

Spoiler

I-131 Reentry Permit Timeline

Mar 6, 2018: [Day -2] Sent I-131 package to Dallas Lockbox via USPS Priority

Mar 8, 2018: [Day 0] Package received at Dallas Lockbox

Mar 12, 2018: [Day 4] Credit card charged application fee

Mar 13, 2018: [Day 5] Text received confirming receipt

Mar 23, 2018: [Day 15] ASC Appointment Notice for biometrics appointment on Apr 11

Apr 18, 2018: [Day 41] Missed Apr 11 appt (on vacation), walked in Manhattan office with no appt, completed biometrics no problem

Jun 29, 2018: [Day 112] Received I-327 Travel Document / Reentry Permit (REP)

----------------------------

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

First, anyone attempting to file the I-751 from overseas is incurring risk of not being successful so these steps might be good for trying to minimize that risk but shouldn't be portrayed as any type of guide to removing conditions.

If you're using your parents address as your mailing address, it could look to the CO that you're not maintaining residence in the US which could result in rejection. Even with a re-entry permit I believe you still have to maintain a residence in the US or you will have been deemed to have abandoned your green card.

Biometrics approintments are often just 2 to 3 weeks after filing the application, not 3 months, and I hadn't heard of situations where it's not required. Sounds more like an exception than a rule.

Your 4th step says you have to return to the US in a year in order to avoid risk abandoning GC. This whole scheme, from steps 1 to 4, involves risking the abandonment of GC, not just step 4.

Basically it's the CO's decision. Even if you have a re-entry permit, if your stays outside of the US are determined too long, you'll be denied.

By the way, you're going to have a difficult time collecting evidence showing that you reside with your spouse in the USA, if you live abroad for one or more years. Such evidence is crucial to having your application accepted. Is it possible that it could be achieved following the above steps? Sure. Are you running some significant risk that it might be denied? Double sure.

I wish the OP success.

EDIT: One more thing... having your parents send you the I-797 via international mail is also risky. You have to use the original copy of the I-797 to travel with. So if you're in a country where international mail is safe and relatively speedy, then good for you. If not, this is a risk you should also consider.

Edited by Russ&Caro

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, dunebuggy said:

We plan to return to our permanent US residence in late June 2019 (prior to 1 year absence)

1 hour ago, dunebuggy said:

Conditional GC expires Aug 11, 2019

I guess I don't understand why you want to make it more complicated/run the risk of denial?

Why not just wait until you are back in the US to file the ROC, since you are returning before the expiration date anyhow?

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

You are taking a HUGE risk by trying to file RoC from abroad.

The extension letter is taking a very long time to get to a lot of RoC applicants these days. What if there's an emergency and you need to return to the US before you receive the extension letter? The GC will be expired by then. I don't believe a re-entry permit will be helpful in that case.

As an immigrant, it is a very bad idea to leave the US without having a way to get back in.

Timeline

My suggestion would be to come back before GC expires (which you said you were anyhow), file the ROC from inside the US, file the travel permit from inside the US (which while that is pending you would complete your ROC biometrics by this time)....then you can make your travel plans abroad.

Honestly, you're risking playing with fire the way you've laid it out.  Russ & Caro also provided some good insight on how it may be adjudicated/looked at by IO.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

17 minutes ago, Going through said:

file the travel permit from inside the US

OP wouldn't be able to file for a second re-entry permit until their RoC was approved. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, dunebuggy said:

Conditional GC expires Aug 11, 2019

2 hours ago, dunebuggy said:

We plan to return to our permanent US residence in late June 2019 (prior to 1 year absence)

Seems like you are going to a great deal of trouble, risk, and expense, when you could just wait until you return to the US in June 2019 to file the I-751.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Thank you VJers for your thoughtful feedback! Please see additional context and questions below as we work through this:

18 hours ago, Russ&Caro said:

If you're using your parents address as your mailing address, it could look to the CO that you're not maintaining residence in the US which could result in rejection. Even with a re-entry permit I believe you still have to maintain a residence in the US or you will have been deemed to have abandoned your green card.

Biometrics approintments are often just 2 to 3 weeks after filing the application, not 3 months, and I hadn't heard of situations where it's not required. Sounds more like an exception than a rule.

@Russ&Caro This is also the address on our drivers licenses / bank accounts / federal tax returns. Yes my parents live there, but it's a big house we intend to live there when we move back to the US. Is that really a problem? I'm the USC and have never owned real estate in my life (only rented)

Regarding timing of biometrics appts, timing is crucial for us to avoid a separate biometrics trip as we will have ~3 weeks in US this summer

17 hours ago, Going through said:

My suggestion would be to come back before GC expires (which you said you were anyhow), file the ROC from inside the US, file the travel permit from inside the US (which while that is pending you would complete your ROC biometrics by this time)....then you can make your travel plans abroad.

16 hours ago, missileman said:

Seems like you are going to a great deal of trouble, risk, and expense, when you could just wait until you return to the US in June 2019 to file the I-751.

@missileman@Going through Perhaps I should have been more clear, we will only have ~3 weeks in the US before returning abroad, so want to schedule the biometrics during this window to avoid a separate trip. So maybe we should only file a month before we arrive in US if biometric appt assignment is quick? We will return again in 2020 before a year is up again 

17 hours ago, mushroomspore said:

You are taking a HUGE risk by trying to file RoC from abroad.

The extension letter is taking a very long time to get to a lot of RoC applicants these days. What if there's an emergency and you need to return to the US before you receive the extension letter? The GC will be expired by then. I don't believe a re-entry permit will be helpful in that case.

As an immigrant, it is a very bad idea to leave the US without having a way to get back in.

@mushroomspore As I understand it, there is indeed the risk you mentioned of needing to return to the US, but alas we have to deal with this. I have read that it is legal to apply for ROC from abroad.... You must, however, travel to the US to comply with biometrics and an interview, if you have it. This is spelled out in the Code of Federal Regulations 216.4:

"(4) Physical presence at time of filing. A petition may be filed regardless of whether the alien is physically present in the United States. However, if the alien is outside the United States at the time of filing, he or she must return to the United States, with his or her spouse and dependent children, to comply with the interview requirements contained in the Act.

18 hours ago, Russ&Caro said:

EDIT: One more thing... having your parents send you the I-797 via international mail is also risky. You have to use the original copy of the I-797 to travel with. So if you're in a country where international mail is safe and relatively speedy, then good for you. If not, this is a risk you should also consider.

@Russ&Caro good point!

Looking forward to continuing the discussion and if anyone has additional insights :)

Spoiler

I-751 ROC application

June 09, 2019: [Day 15]  Biometrics Waived Letter Received, service center "NBC", text reading "This notice informs you that USCIS is able to reuse your previously captured fingerprints and other biometrics. USCIS will run the same security checks and use your biometric data as in the past, however, it is not necessary for you to appear at a USCIS Application Support Center (ASC) for biometrics appointment."

Sept 13, 2019:  Notice that I-751 was transferred to another office "That office now has jurisdiction over your case" 

Apr 7, 2020:  Notice that I-751 was transferred to another office "That office now has jurisdiction over your case" 

Apr 16, 2021:  Interview in Portland, OR. Refused entry to USCIS office due to have traveled abroad in the past 10 days. No interview. However, a few hours after refusal, received notice of approval and card produced!  

Apr 20, 2021:  Card mailed! "On April 20, 2021, we mailed your new card for your Form I751, PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS ON RESIDENCE"

Spoiler

Mar 23, 2018: [Day 15] ASC Appointment Notice for biometrics appointment on Apr 11

Apr 18, 2018: [Day 41] Missed Apr 11 appt (on vacation), walked in Manhattan office with no appt, completed biometrics no problem

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I am writing my I-751 cover letter and trying to figure out how to describe that we are only temporarily abroad, in order to avoid abandonment and the overseas hold. Any thoughts on the paragraph below? Thanks!

"Our family is temporarily in overseas while the *USC* serves a temporary, finite job opportunity, after which we intend to return permanently to our Oregon address. *Conditional Resident Spouse* will attend the scheduled biometrics interview and appointment(s), and we request that this case not be subject to the overseas hold."

Spoiler

I-751 ROC application

Spoiler

Well I mean they will probably know you're over seas anyways when they ask for a lease/housing situation for the last two years of your marriage and one year shows another country.  Are you paying bills and utilities at your parents house? I'd assume that you would show your bills and utilities to where you're at over seas to show you are living together, but I mean... if you're trying to say "don't worry we still live in the US" and half your proof shows you're out of it, and that you plan on leaving again for another year... Ehhh.. It's a big risk.

On 4/5/2019 at 2:51 PM, Hypnos said:

OP wouldn't be able to file for a second re-entry permit until their RoC was approved. 

This is correct I believe.

Also I was always under the impression that to maintain residency that you have to spend MOST of a year within the US, not visit the US once a year to go "hey I'm here don't worry!". Any ideas @geowrian ?

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Timeline

We do have a reentry permit that expires along with the Conditional GC in August and this is a temporary position overseas, hopefully that shows intent that we still want to live permanently in the US. 

This is far from guaranteed and there are risks.... but just trying to figure out how to make the most of the situation we're in!

Spoiler

I-751 ROC application

Spoiler

Timeline
4 hours ago, dunebuggy said:

Any thoughts on the paragraph below? Thanks!

"Our family is temporarily in overseas while the *USC* serves a temporary, finite job opportunity, after which we intend to return permanently to our Oregon address. *Conditional Resident Spouse* will attend the scheduled biometrics interview and appointment(s), and we request that this case not be subject to the overseas hold."

While the letter may or may not do any good---might serve better if an actual end date/date of return was mentioned/estimated to the best of your ability.  Leaving it open to interpretation is never a good idea.  Temporary can be anywhere from a few weeks to a couple of years in some IO's minds.

Edited by Going through

Timeline
48 minutes ago, Going through said:

While the letter may or may not do any good---might serve better if an actual end date/date of return was mentioned/estimated to the best of your ability.  Leaving it open to interpretation is never a good idea.  Temporary can be anywhere from a few weeks to a couple of years in some IO's minds.

Good tip! Thank you 

Spoiler

I-751 ROC application

Spoiler

• 1 month later...
Timeline

OK here is an update, so far so good believe it or not. 18 month extension received and biometrics appointment not required b/c using previous biometrics!

• May 25, 2019: [Day 0] Sent I-751 package to Phoenix via USPS Priority
  • May 31, 2019: [Day 6] NOA1 dated (18 mo extension) & check cashed
  • June 04, 2019: [Day 10] Fingerprint Review Was Completed As of June 04, 2019, we completed our review of your fingerprints and are working on your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, Receipt Number MSCXXXXXX at our location. We will let you know if we make a decision or need anything from you.
  • June 09, 2019: [Day 15] NOA2 received in mail, service center "NBC", text reading "This notice informs you that USCIS is able to reuse your previously captured fingerprints and other biometrics. USCIS will run the same security checks and use your biometric data as in the past, however, it is not necessary for you to appear at a USCIS Application Support Center (ASC) for biometrics appointment."

Question: we are currently abroad, do we need to have the physical NOA1 and NOA2 docs before traveling back to USA in late June? Thank you!

On 4/5/2019 at 10:03 PM, dunebuggy said:

Hi VJers! I tried to do some research to figure out how to apply for the I-751 while already overseas. Hopefully this helps someone in a similar situation. 

Some context of our situation - One USC and One LPR (Spain national)

• Conditional GC issued Aug 11, 2017
    • Conditional GC expires Aug 11, 2019
  • I-131 filed March 2018 and I-327 Travel Document / Reentry Permit (REP) issued Jun 29, 2018
    • I-327 expires Aug 11, 2019 (aligning with Conditional GC expiration)
    • REP was mostly a precaution, we don't plan on remaining outside US for more than 1 year at a time
  • We are currently living abroad on a temporary job assignment (1-2 more years) and have been outside the US since July 2, 2018. 
  • We plan to return to our permanent US residence in late June 2019 (prior to 1 year absence)

Here is what I believe are next steps for ROC I-751. Can the kind forum experts please advise if this is accurate? :) Thank you!

1. ROC can be filed from May 13, 2019 (T-90 days from GC expiration Aug 11, 2019)
    • USA-based parents will mail the physical I-751 application from our US address
    • Include US address to avoid “overseas hold”
      • To avoid the "overseas hold", an applicant should be sure to list a U.S. address. It may be also be important for the I-751 to explain the reason the LPR is overseas, demonstrate that LPR status has not been abandoned, state that the LPR will attend the scheduled biometrics interview and appointment, and request that the case not be subject to the overseas hold.
  2. Return to US to do biometrics (if required), hopefully around 3 months after May ROC filing
  3. I-797C notice (to extend residency while ROC is pending) sent to US address
    • When physical I-797C received, my US parents send to us abroad 
  4. Need to enter US again before July 2020 (to avoid 1 year absence and risk abandoning GC)

Spoiler

I-751 ROC application

Spoiler

8 hours ago, dunebuggy said:

Question: we are currently abroad, do we need to have the physical NOA1 and NOA2 docs before traveling back to USA in late June? Thank you!

Yes. Expired card, and the original (watermarked) receipt/extension letter.

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- April 2015 [Denied]

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 - Mar 2021[Denied] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

N-400 - Feb 2018 - Apr 2021 [Denied]

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE

I-751 Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

I-751 #3 - June 2021 - Jan 2024 [Denied]

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

July 2022: Infopass for I-551 stamp number eleven.....

August 2023: Infopass for I-551 stamp number twelve....

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2024: FML. Seriously. I'm done. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.