hpizzle

Can I wait until my spouse is in the USA before filing 2018 taxes?

49 posts in this topic

My spouse is overseas and I would like to avoid having to send paperwork to her for signatures. If I file for an extension then complete my taxes when she is here, will that interfere with the visa process? For the I-864 form, I plan on showing 2017, 2016, and 2015 taxes since my 2018 won't be complete. I also anticipate that my wife will be here before the extension deadline.

My only concern is that this may hold up the visa process. Is this true? Will they deny her a visa if I am showing incomplete 2018 taxes?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

the CO will issue 221 g for additional documents asking for the 2018 taxes

Do them by following the IRS site for nonresident  alien spouse 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

you are married so you need to file joint or married filing separate

she needs to fill out the W7 or U with a POA from her

you need to send marriage certificate and proof of her birth (ID copy of passport ,  national ID or birth certificate )

and you must file by paper mail as no internet efiling lets you add the W7 for the ITIN

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You can file "Married Filing Separately" now by writing "NRA" in spouse SSN area......and mailing it.........then you can amend your taxes later....just one idea.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Cuba
Timeline
46 minutes ago, missileman said:

You can file "Married Filing Separately" now by writing "NRA" in spouse SSN area......and mailing it.........then you can amend your taxes later....just one idea.

I second this. I did just that and finally amended the past 2 years in Feb. Super easy to do the amendment in Turbo Tax and I've already received the refund checks for the state returns. Just waiting on the federal ones now.

CR-1 Visa

Service Center: Texas

Consulate: Cuba  Colombia. Thanks, Trump!

Marriage: 12/31/2016

I-130 Sent: 3/2/2017

I-130 NOA1: 3/8/2017

USCIS Approval Date: 8/29/17

NOA2 hardcopy received: 9/5/2017

NOA2 issued date: 8/26/2017

Notice from USCIS Sent to NVC: 9/11/2017

NVC Received: 9/21/2017

Case Number and Invoice Number Available: 9/22/2017

Welcome Letter: 9/27/17

Received Invoices for AOS and IV and Paid Both (No DS-261 as I have a lawyer): 9/27/2017 

DS-260 Unlocked: 9/29/2017

DS-260 Submitted: 10/5/17

IV & AOS Packages Mailed: 10/5/17

Packages Physically Arrived at NVC10/10/17

Scan Date: 10/11/17

Case Complete: 11/20/17

Case Complete Email: 11/28/17

Interview Date Received: 1/31/18

Interview: 3/27/18- Approved!

POE: 4/5/18, LAX

SSN Card Received: 4/16/18

2-Year Green Card Received: 4/21/18

ROC

Package Sent: 1/13/20

NOA1 (MSC): 1/16/20

Biometrics Notice: 1/31/20

Biometrics Appt: 2/12/20 (walked in early 2/6)

Interview Ready to Be Scheduled: 10/21/20

Interview Scheduled: 5/12/21

Interview Date: 6/17/21 - Approved!

New Card is Being Produced: 6/17/21

Card Was Mailed to You: 6/21/21

Case Was Approved: 6/22/21

Card Was Picked Up by USPS: 6/23/21

Card in Hand: 6/24/21

1 hour ago, missileman said:

Will a tax preparer be ok with doing this? I have spoken to a few and they have all said I need to go the ITIN route. One said just wait until she arrives to the USA which is why I created this thread.

1 hour ago, adil-rafa said:

the CO will issue 221 g for additional documents asking for the 2018 taxes

Do them by following the IRS site for nonresident  alien spouse 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

you are married so you need to file joint or married filing separate

she needs to fill out the W7 or U with a POA from her

you need to send marriage certificate and proof of her birth (ID copy of passport ,  national ID or birth certificate )

and you must file by paper mail as no internet efiling lets you add the W7 for the ITIN

So 2018 taxes are absolutely REQUIRED to be done before the interview? What if they cannot be done for other reasons and the person has an extended deadline for their taxes?

2 minutes ago, hpizzle said:

Will a tax preparer be ok with doing this? I have spoken to a few and they have all said I need to go the ITIN route. One said just wait until she arrives to the USA which is why I created this thread.

So 2018 taxes are absolutely REQUIRED to be done before the interview? What if they cannot be done for other reasons and the person has an extended deadline for their taxes?

I did this married filing separately and we wrote NRA/ or unavailable (I forget) in the SSN box.  A tax preparer did it for me and she said that actually we didn't qualify for an ITIN at this time anyway.  I have my 2018 transcript to take to interview.  Definitely file, it'll save you a headache.

4 minutes ago, KJ2 said:

I did this married filing separately and we wrote NRA/ or unavailable (I forget) in the SSN box.  A tax preparer did it for me and she said that actually we didn't qualify for an ITIN at this time anyway.  I have my 2018 transcript to take to interview.  Definitely file, it'll save you a headache.

Did you receive the full refund then or are you planning on amending? Also, what makes one ineligible for an ITIN? I would hate to go through the hassle of getting a certified passport when not needed. A tax preparer mentioned that since my spouse is coming to the USA, I shouldn't file for an ITIN.

Edited by hpizzle

9 minutes ago, hpizzle said:

Did you receive the full refund then or are you planning on amending? Also, what makes one ineligible for an ITIN? I would hate to go through the hassle of getting a certified passport when not needed. A tax preparer mentioned that since my spouse is coming to the USA, I shouldn't file for an ITIN.

I actually wasn't getting a refund anyway so no, but married filing separately is not a very lucrative way to file. For most of us, it is the only way though unless you can file HOH if you qualify!  The only thing you are advised not to do is file single.

I actually don't know the ins and outs of ITIN... she asked if my spouse had ever been here and I said no not yet and she said well he can't get an ITIN anyway.  So we just put SSN n/a or NRA something like that.  It was accepted by IRS.  I don't think I am going to amend it.  I plan to just file jointly when he is here for the next tax season (assuming all goes well!)  Is there some reason I should be amending? 

6 minutes ago, KJ2 said:

I actually wasn't getting a refund anyway so no, but married filing separately is not a very lucrative way to file. For most of us, it is the only way though unless you can file HOH if you qualify!  The only thing you are advised not to do is file single.

I actually don't know the ins and outs of ITIN... she asked if my spouse had ever been here and I said no not yet and she said well he can't get an ITIN anyway.  So we just put SSN n/a or NRA something like that.  It was accepted by IRS.  I don't think I am going to amend it.  I plan to just file jointly when he is here for the next tax season (assuming all goes well!)  Is there some reason I should be amending? 

I thought you were eligible for a refund so I thought once your spouse was here you amended and filed MFJ to get the refund. 

18 minutes ago, hpizzle said:

I thought you were eligible for a refund so I thought once your spouse was here you amended and filed MFJ to get the refund. 

I personally was not eligible, but if you can amend it once your spouse is here, I would go ahead and file separately now so that you can take that to your interview!

There are ITIN Certifying Acceptance agents that can help you get the ITIN number without mailing your spouses passport to the IRS  I just brought my wife's in a few weeks ago. They did a 30 second video call with her to verify, and it was finished.  It takes a little time as you have to mail the W-7 along with your taxes...no electronic filing.   But it's worth a little wait for a much larger refund.

1 minute ago, Tybeau2 said:

There are ITIN Certifying Acceptance agents that can help you get the ITIN number without mailing your spouses passport to the IRS  I just brought my wife's in a few weeks ago. They did a 30 second video call with her to verify, and it was finished.  It takes a little time as you have to mail the W-7 along with your taxes...no electronic filing.   But it's worth a little wait for a much larger refund.

I spoke to one and they said they will need a certified copy of her passport. This is where the problem arises as the embassy is the only place that will certify her passport and it is 6 hours away from her. Do you know if CAA will take any other documents such as an original marriage certificate? 

12 minutes ago, hpizzle said:

I spoke to one and they said they will need a certified copy of her passport. This is where the problem arises as the embassy is the only place that will certify her passport and it is 6 hours away from her. Do you know if CAA will take any other documents such as an original marriage certificate? 

Good question...that would have to be answered by the CAA.  I had my wife send me her passport via DHL..a little expensive but the difference the refund made paid for it many times over.   My understanding is that they require a passport or certified copy only.  In the instructions for the W-7 there is a list that shows acceptable documentation.  Here is the link:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

Hope that helps.

Edited by Tybeau2
removing image

You can file for an extension.  Hubs did that the year I immigrated. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.