nandojourney

I-130 Stepchild Journey?

55 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, nandojourney said:

Let me send you the link to the State Dept site. It's actually a pretty good Step by Step guide of all the process . . . I'll need some time to find the flow chart and will update you soon :)

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/all-visa-categories.html

In my case I am the US Citizen petitioning for my stepdaughter.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/family-based-immigrant-visas.html

Step 1: is the I-130 petition https://www.uscis.gov/i-130

Step 2:  IF approved next step is (which depends on other factors) and may need to submit other forms are "Feed, Affidavit of Support, Required Doc". But like I said depending on your status and other factors there may be some other forms or steps.

Step 3: Submitting to the National Visa Center

Step 4: Interview

The second link I send pretty much explains everything. There is a flow diagram which is easier to explain but cant find it at the moment. I do recommend an Attorney. When I find I will update.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/family-based-immigrant-visas.html

Timeline

My stepdaughter has her interview next week in China. Our process:

1. Filed the I-130 in August 2018

2. I-130 approved at my wife's AOS interview in May 2019 (threw us for a loop)

3. Case created at NVC Oct 2019 after a lengthy 3 month delay :(

4. Submitted docs, approved, and interview scheduled all within a two-week period in Nov 2019 (also threw us for a loop)

5. Interview in December 2019

So about 16 months. It would've been 13-14 months if USCIS hadn't taken forever to send the approved I-130 to NVC. I'll report back on the interview.

My wife has sole custody of her daughter, and the father (who has been MIA since she was born) had no issue signing an affidavit that she can immigrate to the US. I've heard the interviews are usually pretty easy. Assuming no hiccups next week, my wife will fly out again 2-3 weeks later to pick her up and bring her here.

22 hours ago, RamonGomez said:

4. Submitted docs, approved, and interview scheduled all within a two-week period in Nov 2019 (also threw us for a loop)

So about 16 months. It would've been 13-14 months if USCIS hadn't taken forever to send the approved I-130 to NVC. I'll report back on the interview.

My wife has sole custody of her daughter, and the father (who has been MIA since she was born) had no issue signing an affidavit that she can immigrate to the US. I've heard the interviews are usually pretty easy. Assuming no hiccups next week, my wife will fly out again 2-3 weeks later to pick her up and bring her here.

Thanks! We expected also to be a year then there was an issue with the Birth Certificate. There was a change from a "short form" to "long form" acceptance in by the NVC, so we just took our time. So far we are about month 14 and expect another few months since we are now just taking it slow to coincide with my wife case (this way we can all go back together for both cases in one shot).

Thanks again!

On 11/28/2019 at 11:51 AM, RamonGomez said:

The estranged parent need to sign for

an affidavit? Is it required by NVC?

1 hour ago, RamonGomez said:

I don't believe it's necessary, but we did it just to be safe. 

In my case, NO, since the father is not on the birth certificate (and not in the picture) AND the laws in Honduras give the mother many rights (even if the father came out of the woodwork).

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the delay in updates! Latest update:

Dear XXXXXX XXXXX,

The National Visa Center (NVC) updated the status of your immigrant visa application. Please go to the Department of State's Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC) at https://nvc.state.gov/ceac. You will need your NVC case number and invoice ID number to log into your account.

Once you have logged into CEAC, please look in your message box or on the Status Chart at the bottom of the page. If NVC has feedback on any items you submitted, there will be a new message with details. If not, please simply follow the updated instructions on your Status Chart to complete your case. If any column says "Pay Now", "Invalid Doc", "Incomplete", or "Re-Opened", that means you must take action by paying a fee, submitting a form, or uploading a corrected/missing document.

Regards,
National Visa Center,
U.S. Department of State
https://nvc.state.gov/ask

**** To all new to the thread the "wait" was not typical since we had challenges obtaining the required birth certificate for my step daughter. During the process there was a change in what was accepted. We basically did not press the issue and let things happen as they came and my stepdaughter was starting school soon so we slowed down. Initially we were very optimistic that for things to wrap up between October to November 2019 but we all know how life can throw a wrench in things :) . . . So far we are 17 months into the process that "usually" takes 12-15 but every case is different  (I always add 2-4 month either way to set expectations).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

I am a US citizen in the process of bringing my 2 stepsons (18 & 19) from Ecuador. Their interview is scheduled for March 2nd. For this process,  it was required that I get permission from the estranged parent to take the youngest to the US. I filed the I-130 for them last May. I did end up requesting an expedited interview date on Feb 6th which was granted. The timing has been perfect as my wife’s AOS interview was on February 12th and was approved that afternoon. This has taken out most of the concern on whether the kids would be denied or delayed. I will be flying down to attend their interview and hopefully bring them home when I leave. 

Thanks to everyone in this forum for sharing your experiences and providing valuable information. I will keep you posted !

Shawn 

45 minutes ago, Shawn_Lock said:

Hello Everyone,

I am a US citizen in the process of bringing my 2 stepsons (18 & 19) from Ecuador. Their interview is scheduled for March 2nd. For this process,  it was required that I get permission from the estranged parent to take the youngest to the US. I filed the I-130 for them last May. I did end up requesting an expedited interview date on Feb 6th which was granted. The timing has been perfect as my wife’s AOS interview was on February 12th and was approved that afternoon. This has taken out most of the concern on whether the kids would be denied or delayed. I will be flying down to attend their interview and hopefully bring them home when I leave. 

Thanks to everyone in this forum for sharing your experiences and providing valuable information. I will keep you posted !

Shawn 

This is great news! Since I am also going through the process with my wife and my stepdaughters process was held up, it should work out that my wife and I go together back (for her interview) and return with my stepdaughter, who in theory should be approved within the next two months. Worse case I go myself if if any delays and get her as Honduras has laws favoring the mother (especially if the father is not on the BC and not in the picture . . . no need for permission).

Many prayers on safe return!

- Nando

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
On 6/7/2019 at 5:28 PM, nandojourney said:

UPDATE: Attorney and I received an email from the National Visa Center with a case# after submitting for a case about 2-3 weeks ago :). Should be within a couple of months before I can go and pick up my stepdaughter.

Remaining:

1. Attorney Upload needed doc

2. Pay fees

3. Consulate Interview for my stepdaughter once all the above is accepted and NVC does their part.

Apart form that, just making sure she/we have all the required docs. Not 100% what all the requirements are as its slightly different for children.

Hi. What are the documents you have submitted for your stepchild in the NVC process? Can you please share ? My daughter has been included in the I-130 petition of my USC husband for me and we are waiting for the approval of the USCIS .Thank you. 

• 6 months later...

UPDATE: We are all still patiently waiting for the Embassy to open up as they are still closed (pen for Emergency US Services Only). However, Honduras is close to getting to opening up "soon" (I am GUESSING within 4 weeks based on steps they have taken and COVID trends there). Once that happens I imagine appointments that were cancelled will be rescheduled in order they were canceled and by priority, for example the type of visa. We can only wait like everyone else in the world who were thrown for a loop because of COVID19 and be thankful we are healthy. To be continued . . .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/14/2020 at 12:51 AM, nandojourney said:

UPDATE: My daughter arrived last week :). Her interview was rescheduled 2 weeks prior and were only given a week to depart because of "expiring documents/ medical exam" even though none the fault of her own. The State Dept extended the expiry 30 days from Sep 9 to Oct 9 and of course we did not get rescheduled notice until 2 weeks ago with her interview the following week so we had to scramble.

Thank you all for following this journey. The pandemic really did a number on the process but at the end its all good!

I wonder what were the questions during interview. My son is only 8 years old and he will just be accompanied by grandparents. My priority date is October 9th, husband is the USC. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2020 at 4:42 PM, Southern_Belle07 said:

I wonder what were the questions during interview. My son is only 8 years old and he will just be accompanied by grandparents. My priority date is October 9th, husband is the USC. 

Sorry for the late response! As for the questions asked it really truly depends on a lot of factors. In our case they only asked my stepdaughter her name. However, they did ask questions to my wife' cousin who accompanied her. Things such as where is she going, with who, etc. Due to her age MOST of the time there are simple questions.

What I do suggest is that WHOEVER does go (they typically will only allow one person with the child) that that person NOT provide any more extra information than asked. Just simple YES and NO. Provide direct answers without "stories" behind an answer. Of course lying is not going to fly :). The persons that are asking questions typically have all the answers provided as part of the case and should be the answered the way they were in the application.

For example another family we knew had an aunt bring their 7 year old child. They asked the child their name and where they were going, why, with who. When they started speaking to the aunt they were having a conversation about a better life here etc when the aunt brought up the stepmother losing her job and due to the pandemic and its been tough. The interview tone changed and focused on that. The interview then asked then how will they provide for the stepchild. The aunt said "oh its ok she found a new job today". Lets just say there was a LOOOOONG pause and eventually approved (she knew right away what she had done wrong and was horrified).

Hope all went well!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.