nandojourney

I-130 Stepchild Journey?

55 posts in this topic

Hello to all! I am looking for of those who applied for an I-130 Visa for their stepchild (under 18) but particularly from those petitioners who are US Citizen's (like myself the stepdad). Specifically, looking for the experiences of stepdads out there who had to go and get their children in the country they stepchild resides and any advise :). I have been married with my wife for over a year now and we are also in the process of her petition. However, she would not be able to leave the country yet in order to pick up our daughter in Honduras (my stepdaughter).

I have read and understand the ability/rights of petitioning for a stepchild to come t the US. However, I have not read any stories from stepdads/stepmoms once the petition is approved and any challenges they faced with things such as leaving on their international flight, any other paper work you required for that country to allow them to leave etc.

I do have an attorney and know I can ask, but looking for more of a personal story from others.

I will definitely be posting my experience online in the coming month for all (as stated nothing online I found about the stepparent GOING to pick up the stepchild and any feedback)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by nandojourney

14 minutes ago, nandojourney said:

any other paper work you required for that country to allow them to leave etc.

Varies by country. Below is some info for Honduras; http://www.interairports.hn/guia-de-viajes/?lang=en:

Requirements for a minor to leave the country:

1. Present valid passport stating that within the term of stay authorized the entry and / or the respective extension of tourism.
  2. Submitted to the immigration office.

All children of foreign residents in Honduras and children under age Honduran must present:

1. Valid passport.
  2. Identity card for countries that do not require passports.
  3. Licensing for third authenticated by a notary public.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Mozambique
Timeline

Currently in this process for my step daughter - our I-130 had been approved, NVC Case status is complete but we are waiting for an interview date -  Everything I have read indicates as long as you have all necessary paperwork to travel with the child - the actual interview is usually pretty easy

Good luck with your daughter! It would be great to know how smooth the return is. In theory, if you have all the required documents to enter the USA, you are fine :). My curiosity is the experience of leaving country X with a child that is not biologically your even though you have all the paperwork :). I have been to many many countries where rules and laws are just "suggestions" :). So it would be great to hear from those stepparents who have actually done this and their stories.

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Honduras
Timeline
On 3/27/2019 at 1:51 PM, MozambiqueSoninha said:

Currently in this process for my step daughter - our I-130 had been approved, NVC Case status is complete but we are waiting for an interview date -  Everything I have read indicates as long as you have all necessary paperwork to travel with the child - the actual interview is usually pretty easy

I am also currently waiting for my step sons appointment. We have everything in ordet as far as I know except for a recent lettet we recieved asking for his Honduras police certificate and the Copy of Birth Folio (Copia de Folio del Libro de Nacimientos). I am confused because I thought that he would not need these things until the interview? Anyone else?

Filed: IR-2 Country: Mozambique
Timeline
11 hours ago, cynmarchoa said:

I am also currently waiting for my step sons appointment. We have everything in ordet as far as I know except for a recent lettet we recieved asking for his Honduras police certificate and the Copy of Birth Folio (Copia de Folio del Libro de Nacimientos). I am confused because I thought that he would not need these things until the interview? Anyone else?

we were also asked for the police certificate at the NVC stage - I was also not expecting it - but its fine they are just helping the consulate assemble their packet.  

I am sure all things will work out. As I mentioned, I am eager to hear from a stepparent who actually has already gone through this journey where they solely are picking up there stepchild and how it went and from what country :). Definitely do not want anyone to stress out as I agree that as long as you have everything you should be good to enter, but still curious on the exit from the origin country and if anyone had any challenges even with the right documentation. As posted, some countries will have the regulations and laws BUT sometimes they will give you a "hard time" and look to try to take advantage of you. I am NOT stating this would happen but just curious . . . here is a scenario from my friend from Central America who was a US Citizen (Hispanic but hardly spoke Spanish well)  going to pick up his stepson (6). He had ALL the needed paperwork but when he got to customs they said he was missing "this type" of paper and "this other thing" and were trying to give him the runaround. At the end this agent saw that he was with family and kept telling him he did not have everything. At the end they said he would have to pay a "fine". My friend did not panic and instead said NO. They would not let him pass. He quickly then, in front of the agents, called the US Embassy for help .... they noticed him do this and without hesitation let him pass.

Again, I am looking only for peoples experiences from different countries to see if anything like this happened to them or different. I am SURE I will be fine :) and don't want to freak anyone out.

• 1 month later...

Great news my stepdaughter's I-130 petition was approved :). I meet with my attorney tomorrow to hand in the next phase info to submit. In total the petition took 8 months to approve (from date of receipt by USCIS). I will update date this topic with more news as it comes!

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: Attorney and I received an email from the National Visa Center with a case# after submitting for a case about 2-3 weeks ago :). Should be within a couple of months before I can go and pick up my stepdaughter.

Remaining:

1. Attorney Upload needed doc

2. Pay fees

3. Consulate Interview for my stepdaughter once all the above is accepted and NVC does their part.

Apart form that, just making sure she/we have all the required docs. Not 100% what all the requirements are as its slightly different for children.

• 3 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Is there any other further update with your case and getting your child here to the U.S.?

AOS Process:

I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), & I-131 (AP) File Date:  January 24, 2018

I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), & I-131 (AP) Receive Date:  January 26, 2018

I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), & I-131 (AP) Text Receipt Notification Date:  February 5, 2018

I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), & I-131 (AP) NOA1 Notice Date: February 9, 2018

I-485 (AOS) & I-765 (EAD) Biometrics Appointment Letter Arrival: February 16, 2018

I-485 (AOS) & I-765 (EAD) Biometrics Appointment: February 28, 2018

I-765 (EAD) & I-131 (AP) Approval Date: August 1, 2018

I-765 (EAD) & I-131 (AP) Combo Card Receive Date: August 7, 2018

I-485 (AOS) Interview Date Scheduled for: September 11, 2018

I-485 (AOS) Approval Date: September 11, 2018 (Approval at interview)

Green Cards Receive Date: September 18, 2018

ROC Process:

I-751 Package Mailed: July 8, 2020

I-751 Package Received: July 10, 2020

I-751 Text Receipt Notification: July 18, 2020

I-751 NOA1 for K1/K2 Received in Mail: August 1, 2020

I-512 Biometrics Letters for K1 & K2 Received (Appointments Waived): October 18, 2020

Hi Willy.

Thank you for asking. I had been busy to update ... about 2 months ago my attorney had updated all the docs and I had I paid the fees. However, we ran into an issue with the Birth Certificate. The “short form” is no longer accepted so we had to get the “Folio del acto the nacimiento”. It just so happens we just went to the Consulate today to get a letter which we will then send to my wife’s family that will allow them to get this AND my wife’s en Tegucigalpa since it will be needed for her interview because my wife the only one on the birth certificate. Next steps will be to send it in next week and have her family make the 5 hour trip to get this. We were going to have her here by her 1 year date when we submitted but we are now taken it “slow”. Since we are submitting my wife’s phase two docs we figured we would wait and then we can all go together as a family and come back as a family. This would eliminate any worries if me going it alone. Though we did learn than I would have no issues bringing her back from Honduras. Will keep everyone posted :-) (typing from my mobile is tricky lol)

• 1 month later...

Update: Due to having to get the "long form" Birth Certificate of my wife (who is here) and stepdaughter, it took some time but it's in progress. Had to go to the consulate here in the US to give permission to a relative there to be able to get the birth certificate in Tegucigalpa (this letter also has to be notarized by a lawyer). Relative will be going next week to make the trek. It took some time because once we found out its not going to be easy, we took our time. Also, the were some protest ion the capital which typically means no one can get into the city. Once both are received then they will send a digital copy to be able to submit to satisfy the NVC requirement. From there I would imagine 30 days or less for an appointment to be provided. Looking like beginning of January where things will be moving along. Will keep everyone posted.

Edited by nandojourney

Hi, will you please let me know the STEP BY STEP process you took in petitioning your stepchild? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.