SimplyComplex

Question about screenshots of chat logs

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone, i wonder if some of you could put my mind at rest. I know i might be overthinking this but i don't want to risk anything going wrong and making a silly mistake anywhere. I've read that you shouldn't need to add a lot of proof of your relationship in terms of chat logs in the initial stage of the K1 packet, as they are more interested in seeing that you have met in person and the proof regarding that, but i would still like to add a few chat snippets in from over the years as something in addition and as peace of mind.

So my questions are:

1. As we have been together for 3 years now and have literally thousands and thousands of messages on facebook messenger, how often should i take snippets from? A conversation every 2 months? 3 months?

Are there any conversational subjects that would be better than others to show? Like talking about the future, lovey dovey stuff, generic conversations of us talking about our lives?

2. I am not sure where i should take the screenshots from. I could take screenshots of past chats on my phone using the messenger app, but using the conversation search on the messenger app to go back in the chat history seems to leave out pics and emotes etc within the conversations. Or i have found a browser extension that saved our entire chat history, including all pics and emotes within conversations but is not from the official fb app or fb site. Or i could use facebook website itself, but fb messenger on the browser is so large and full of other distracting things on each side. So which of these options would be best?

Again, i know i'm making a mountain out of a molehill by stressing over it so much lol, but the K1 process is a little overwhelming and starting to put together our packet is daunting. So i'd rather ask and stop stressing about it, plus then i will be getting it ready a whole lot sooner! 😃

Timeline
18 minutes ago, SimplyComplex said:

Hi everyone, i wonder if some of you could put my mind at rest. I know i might be overthinking this but i don't want to risk anything going wrong and making a silly mistake anywhere. I've read that you shouldn't need to add a lot of proof of your relationship in terms of chat logs in the initial stage of the K1 packet, as they are more interested in seeing that you have met in person and the proof regarding that, but i would still like to add a few chat snippets in from over the years as something in addition and as peace of mind.

So my questions are:

1. As we have been together for 3 years now and have literally thousands and thousands of messages on facebook messenger, how often should i take snippets from? A conversation every 2 months? 3 months?

Are there any conversational subjects that would be better than others to show? Like talking about the future, lovey dovey stuff, generic conversations of us talking about our lives?

2. I am not sure where i should take the screenshots from. I could take screenshots of past chats on my phone using the messenger app, but using the conversation search on the messenger app to go back in the chat history seems to leave out pics and emotes etc within the conversations. Or i have found a browser extension that saved our entire chat history, including all pics and emotes within conversations but is not from the official fb app or fb site. Or i could use facebook website itself, but fb messenger on the browser is so large and full of other distracting things on each side. So which of these options would be best?

Again, i know i'm making a mountain out of a molehill by stressing over it so much lol, but the K1 process is a little overwhelming and starting to put together our packet is daunting. So i'd rather ask and stop stressing about it, plus then i will be getting it ready a whole lot sooner! 😃

No messages are required. I never submitted any. My guess is they won’t read pages of private chats and those can be easily faked. Better relationship evidence would be boarding passes or passport stamps for proof you have met within the 2 years, a handful of photos with each other from varying time periods and signed letters of intent to marry within 90 days on entering the US on the K1 visa

K1 Visa (232 Days):

Spoiler

I-129F submitted - 28th July 2018

NOA1 - 2nd Aug 2018

NOA2 - 26th Dec 2018

NVC received - 14th Jan 2019

NVC case assigned - 22nd Jan 2019

Booked medical - 25th Jan 2019

NVC left - 5th Feb 2019

Embassy received - 8th Feb 2019

DS-160 submitted + booked interview  - 12th Feb 2019

Medical -  22nd Feb 2019

Interview - 22nd Mar 2019 - Approved!

Visa Issued - 27th March 2019

Visa in hand - 29th March 2019

US Entry - 12th May 2019 - Dublin

Married- June 2019 💕

AOS:

Spoiler

I-485, I-765 & I-131 submitted - 24th July 2019

Cheque cashed - 1st August 2019

3 NOA’s received - 31st July 2019

Biometrics - 21st August 2019

Interview - 28th Feb 2020

Approved - 3rd Mar 2020

Card received - 11th Mar 2020

ROC:

Spoiler

I-751 submitted - 15th Feb 2022

Case received - 17th Feb 2022

Text received - 22nd Feb 2022

NOA received in mail - 2nd Mar 2022 (Dated 22nd Feb 2022)

Case updated to Fingerprints were taken - 28th Mar 2022 (No Biometrics done)

Case updated to New Card Being Produced - 7th April 2023

N-400:

Spoiler

Submitted online - 4th Mar 2023

NOA dated- 5th Mar 2023

Biometrics Scheduled - 11th Mar 2023

Biometrics - 27th Mar 2023

Interview - ?

Oath Ceremony - ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree with @O-J, the only requirement at the initial stage of the K1 is the physical meeting within the past two years.  That being said, depending on the country, many folks will front load the petition with things like chat logs, emails, etc., but those are forms of secondary evidence primarily because they can be faked fairly easily.  Face time (not the Apple app) proof is a better form of primary evidence.  In our case, I had two trips and I was also present (my third trip) when my then fiancé had her interview, we did not include any chat logs.

As to including chat logs, I would just include a sampling of the logs from the years you have been in a relationship, maybe 5-10 pages, or something like that.

Good luck.

Edited by Bill & Katya

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
2 hours ago, SimplyComplex said:

So my questions are:

I screenshot wherever and check if the conversation is ok to share, about 20s, didnt bother about dates... 

We've been together for almost 3yrs the time we filed on aug2018 

(L)Our Timeline(L)

2015 Nov 03 - met online app (Skout)

2016 Jan 18 - became couple officially

2017 Sep 15 - met for the first time in person (Singapore to USA - 2 weeks)

2018 Feb 03 - met for the 2nd time (USA to Singapore - 2 weeks)

2018 Feb 08 - got engaged 

2018 Sep 01 - met for the 3rd time (Singapore to USA - 2 weeks)

2019 May 31 - 4th meeting :goofy:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K1 Visa Timeline:

2018 Aug 22 - I129f sent (DIY)

2018 Aug 29 - NOA1

worries before approval:

1) submitted 1 statement/letter of intent both signed by the pet/ben

2) petitioner's accidentally/stupidly committed DWI after i129f submission

2019 Jan 16 - NOA2 (140 days from Noa1 - No RFE)

2019 Feb 06 - case received by NVC (21 days from Noa2)

2019 Feb 08 - case number received

2019 Feb 19 - left NVC

2019 Feb 25 - case received by SG consulate

2019 Feb 28 - Packet 3 received

2019 Mar 04 - Packet 3 sent back to SG consulate

2019 Mar 07 - Packet 4 received (interview schedule)

2019 Mar 12 - Medical (additional vaccine on 19 Mar)

2019 Mar 27 - Interview (221g, medical results pending)

2019 Mar 27 - Administrative Processing

2019 Mar 27 - Clinic sent medical results to Embassy

2019 Mar 28 - Administrative Processing

2019 Mar 29 - Application Received

2019 Apr 01 - Issued

2019 Apr 04 - VOH

Timeline

Thanks for the advice so far 🙂 I did figure I was over-analysing, so I'll stress a little less over it! I think I will just grab a very small handful of snippets just to add a few even if they aren't completely necessary. But still, what would you think would be the best place to take the screenshots from? Fb messenger app, fb website from my pc browser, or a third party export? 

Timeline
38 minutes ago, SimplyComplex said:

Thanks for the advice so far 🙂 I did figure I was over-analysing, so I'll stress a little less over it! I think I will just grab a very small handful of snippets just to add a few even if they aren't completely necessary. But still, what would you think would be the best place to take the screenshots from? Fb messenger app, fb website from my pc browser, or a third party export? 

Honestly the source does not matter. I would not waste time including any chats. Go with the evidence I suggested earlier and you should have what is required. Chats are not a good form of evidence at all so don’t stress over providing them 

K1 Visa (232 Days):

Spoiler

I-129F submitted - 28th July 2018

NOA1 - 2nd Aug 2018

NOA2 - 26th Dec 2018

NVC received - 14th Jan 2019

NVC case assigned - 22nd Jan 2019

Booked medical - 25th Jan 2019

NVC left - 5th Feb 2019

Embassy received - 8th Feb 2019

DS-160 submitted + booked interview  - 12th Feb 2019

Medical -  22nd Feb 2019

Interview - 22nd Mar 2019 - Approved!

Visa Issued - 27th March 2019

Visa in hand - 29th March 2019

US Entry - 12th May 2019 - Dublin

Married- June 2019 💕

AOS:

Spoiler

I-485, I-765 & I-131 submitted - 24th July 2019

Cheque cashed - 1st August 2019

3 NOA’s received - 31st July 2019

Biometrics - 21st August 2019

Interview - 28th Feb 2020

Approved - 3rd Mar 2020

Card received - 11th Mar 2020

ROC:

Spoiler

I-751 submitted - 15th Feb 2022

Case received - 17th Feb 2022

Text received - 22nd Feb 2022

NOA received in mail - 2nd Mar 2022 (Dated 22nd Feb 2022)

Case updated to Fingerprints were taken - 28th Mar 2022 (No Biometrics done)

Case updated to New Card Being Produced - 7th April 2023

N-400:

Spoiler

Submitted online - 4th Mar 2023

NOA dated- 5th Mar 2023

Biometrics Scheduled - 11th Mar 2023

Biometrics - 27th Mar 2023

Interview - ?

Oath Ceremony - ?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
10 hours ago, SimplyComplex said:

As others said, save proof of bona fide relationship for later. I've never seen 129F RFE asking for "more proof of a relationship" What I have seen over and over again is "Proof that you have met face to face in last 2 years" which some people assume would be covered by photographs together, but that just proves a face to face meeting, not the time of it. I did send a single screenshot from a Telegram showing the date of us agreeing to meet for the first time, because I felt it helped reaffirm the fact we really did meet. (Windows + Shift + S on Windows PC allows easy taking of screenshots btw)  Adjudicator will look at your case for about 5 minutes, they are just checking that everything that is required is filled and checked, not much more. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

No need to send chat logs for a K-1 unless you are dealing with a high-fraud country or other red flags like differences in age, religion, culture, language, education, income, etc.  If you have any of those red flags then a few representative messages or a log showing the summary of frequency over time is all that's needed, just a few pages.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
14 hours ago, SimplyComplex said:

We put down some screenshots of our convo via whatsapp, which is the only place we chat at. another thing i put down is screenshot of my facebook post of the photo of 2 of us. 

it was suggested by our lawyer actually. the facebook post got date, ppl's comment and like, which shows that people knows about you two dating and when you two actually meet. 

Want to know more about apply for K1 VISA / Green card in TAIWAN? come visit my blog https://summerprincess.pixnet.net/blog

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It depends on the country. Some countries it is very advantageous to front load and include lots of relationship evidence. I don’t think they spend hours reading your conversations. They just want to see continued communication. A few samples of random times throughout the years. Maybe 5-10 pages at most. 

Edited by LionessDeon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

When I filled out our I did send 4 are 5 pages to show the relationship different days and different times and different conversations! 

This way they can see the relationship! What will it hurt if they decide not to read oh well ! 

The only thing I have doubt on is I sent her divorce paper but wasn’t translated to English ! 

That is the only thing ! I did everything else that I could do ! Yes when it was finished it was a novel ! Lol 

good luck !!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.