RobynAndBradley

Does anyone have experience with a successful CR-1 expedite? How long did your process take from the time of expedite request to when your spouse could enter the USA?

35 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Robynski said:

That is great to hear! We were very close to going with the K-1 route, so thank you for the information on the CR-1 as we are not as familiar with it yet.  I am deploying later this year so time is not on our side unfortunately, but from the sounds of it CR-1 is the way to go for us. Thanks again :)

I am glad you guys decided to go the CR-1 route. As mentioned before, we see a lot of people regret doing the K-1, mostly because of the "dead time" after entering of 6 or so months of not being able to do anything, work or travel wise. I don't think I see one regret doing the CR-1 and said they should have done K-1 instead!

Active military deployment definitely is ground for expedite. 

Again, thank you for your services to our country!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It's hard to nail down times for expedite since every embassy is different. Because you have to expedite at USCIS. Depending when you do it if approved it can save you 5 to 9 months who knows. Then is the long wait to get case# I have seen others get their Senator involved with getting approved petition through faster. Otherwise that can be 2 to 3 months waiting for a case#.

Once you have case# then you have to request expedite again which means NVC has to contact embassy and get a yes or no. If approved petition goes to embassy and you do processing  and the embassy not NVC schedules interview.
If done correctly with legitimate reasons you could shave off 6 months or less maybe in wait time.

And that 10 to 12 months is truly the time jut at USCIS currently . Expect 12 to 15 month total processing if you don't expedite and get approved for it. Good Luck. :)

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

10 minutes ago, dwheels76 said:

And that 10 to 12 months is truly the time jut at USCIS currently . Expect 12 to 15 month total processing if you don't expedite and get approved for it. Good Luck. :)

We were very lucky because our CR-1 got NOA2 in just 4 months.  

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
2 hours ago, John & Rose said:

Active deployment is one of the acceptable USCIS expedite reasons, just to make this more complicated.  LOL

K-1 vs CR-1 Full Analysis

K-1

More expensive than CR-1    

Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    

Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (about 5-6 months)    

Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (about 5-6 months)    

Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    

Spouse will not receive Green Card for 10 to 12 months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

Estimated timeline is approximately 8 to 10 months (NOA1 to Interview)  This is officially quoted as 6 to 12 months.

K-1 Fees

$535 - USCIS Filing Fee

$265 per person - DS-160 (Visa Application)

$200 to $400 - Medical Fee

$1,225 per person - AOS Fee (Includes EAD/AP if filed together)

$750 per child under 14

$680 per person - ROC Fee

$640 per person Naturalization Fee

$85 per person Biometric Fee for Naturalization

$3,430 plus medical (K-1)

$2,895 plus medical (K-2 over 14 years old)

$2,420 plus medical (K-2 14 years old and younger)

CR-1    

Less expensive than K-1    

No Adjustment of Status  (I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    

Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    

Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    

Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    

Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to the United States

Estimated timeline is 10 to 12 months (NOA1 to Interview) This is officially quoted at 12 to 14 months.

CR-1 Fees

$535 - USCIS Filing Fee

$120 - Affidavit of Support Fee

$325 - DS-260 (Visa Application)

$200 to $400 - Medical Fee

$220 - USCIS Immigrant Fee

$680 - ROC (if married less than 2 years at POE)

$640 per person Naturalization Fee

$85 per person Biometric Fee for Naturalization

$2,605 plus medical (per person if married less than 2 years at POE)

$1,925 plus medical (per person if married more than 2 years when filing)

A K-1 is more likely to be ultimately denied than a CR-1.

A refused K-1 with the petition being sent back will sit and die.

A refused CR-1/IR-1 with the petition being sent back can be reaffirmed and not refused again for the same reason if based upon the same evidence.

If concerned about the CO's evaluation of the relationship, then a spousal visa would be an optimal path.

Also, certain crimes can be an issue with an I-129F, but only very few crimes are an issue for an I-130 (e.g. AWA).

Regarding K-2: Just correcting a few things: 

When Child arrived with the parent or gets GC within 90 of parents the ROC fee for the child is waived only the $85 bio fee is required.

If a child is under 18 when the parent naturalize the child will be a citizen when the parent becomes one so there is also no fee for the child for that one.

No Bio fee for kids under 14 for AOS.

So K-2 for kids under 14 will only land on $1,400 when coming with parent (I have not corrected your other fees)

Edited by Georgia16

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
55 minutes ago, Mieka91 said:

Yes. I expedited from Nigeria (one of the toughest countries) took a total of six months. 

Thank you for sharing, and congratulations! Did you get a RFE? Or was 6 months the time it took from beginning to end with everything processing smoothly?

Do you know if Canada is one of the “easier” countries? Sorry for all the questions, brand new to all of this. 

23 minutes ago, RobynAndBradley said:

Thank you for sharing, and congratulations! Did you get a RFE? Or was 6 months the time it took from beginning to end with everything processing smoothly?

Do you know if Canada is one of the “easier” countries? Sorry for all the questions, brand new to all of this. 

Hi, it was six months from beginning to end. I didn’t get an RFE.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Mieka91 said:

Hi, it was six months from beginning to end. I didn’t get an RFE.

Thank you :) and congratulations once again. 

57 minutes ago, dentsflogged said:

Just asking out of interest (no skin in the game for me no matter what) but is the purpose of expediting to ensure that your spouse can be stationed with you at an overseas deployment, or so they can "roost in the homestead" as it were while you're on active duty elsewhere? 

Most deployments dont allow the spouse to go with.  You may be thinking of when someone is stationed somewhere vs deployed.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

4 hours ago, RobynAndBradley said:

It is similar to other embassies in English-speaking and western countries (in terms of relationship scrutiny),  but it is not particularly fast.  Montreal has recently become quite log jammed for interviews.

Timeline
9 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

I am glad you guys decided to go the CR-1 route. As mentioned before, we see a lot of people regret doing the K-1, mostly because of the "dead time" after entering of 6 or so months of not being able to do anything, work or travel wise. I don't think I see one regret doing the CR-1 and said they should have done K-1 instead!

Active military deployment definitely is ground for expedite. 

Again, thank you for your services to our country!

Thank you very much. And thank you for the all feedback in this thread as well as the other one from yesterday. :)

This forum has been very helpful and eye opening, we feel a lot better now and more confident in our choice to go with the CR-1 route. Hopefully the expedite moves somewhat quickly, we’ll definitely post an update once we get the ball rolling and make the request with USCIS. 

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 3/11/2019 at 8:02 PM, RobynAndBradley said:

Thank you very much. And thank you for the all feedback in this thread as well as the other one from yesterday. :)

This forum has been very helpful and eye opening, we feel a lot better now and more confident in our choice to go with the CR-1 route. Hopefully the expedite moves somewhat quickly, we’ll definitely post an update once we get the ball rolling and make the request with USCIS. 

Just catching up on this thread and hoping you'll post an update on filing, expedite and the process from your prospective. If nothing else it helps the rest of us find hope and happiness in others happy endings!! 

13 hours ago, IndiaAnnie said:

Just catching up on this thread and hoping you'll post an update on filing, expedite and the process from your prospective. If nothing else it helps the rest of us find hope and happiness in others happy endings!! 

Our expedite was approved by USEM.  We are at NVC and all fees paid and files uploaded 3 weeks ago.  Not sure what the expedite will do for us but we should know something soon.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.