Proof of bonifide marriage

73 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Desbaez said:

All I have right now is 

1.My marriage license and the translation

2. The two passport photos of both of us 

3. 60 photos of our honeymoon, random pictures together.

4. 28 photos text conversations 

5. Copy of my passport front and back and my passport stamps 

6. And copies of the tickets for the plane tickets of me going there.

Is that enough evidence to just go ahead and send it off?  And should I write beside the picture what each picture is or does that not matter? 

1 Letter where you give some brief details about how you met

2 My husband added me to Utility bills / Insurance / Lease (sent me a copy that i signed, scanned then sent back to him ) 

3 add me to a bank account, i remember we had a visio call with the representative, he asked me some questions, they sent me a contract that i signed electronically (but im not sure IF every Bank can do that, maybe it depends on the state ? ) 

if you have a futur plan tell them so 

This is your best chance to send all you can ! Best of luck 

12 minutes ago, CappuccinoMo said:

1 Letter where you give some brief details about how you met

2 My husband added me to Utility bills / Insurance / Lease (sent me a copy that i signed, scanned then sent back to him ) 

3 add me to a bank account, i remember we had a visio call with the representative, he asked me some questions, they sent me a contract that i signed electronically (but im not sure IF every Bank can do that, maybe it depends on the state ? ) 

if you have a futur plan tell them so 

This is your best chance to send all you can ! Best of luck 

The only thing I have to add him to is health insurance. Would that be enough? 

21 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

if you are just starting the process you will have plenty of time to get it, you will need to turn in his bio page from his passport at the NVC stage.

Ok Great! This is so overwhelming but I will contact the embassy to see what he has to do to get the passport 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Desbaez said:

The only thing I have to add him to is health insurance. Would that be enough? 

I don't think you can add him to health insurance until he either has an ITIN or a SSN.

and you will want to check with your company specific guidelines.

I know you can add him as a beneficary to your life insurance, and get him updated on your emergency contact information.

can also add him to your car insurance as married but non driver this might help reduce your car insurance as well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
22 hours ago, Khallaf said:

if you have a home add him to the deed

That could get very expensive in the event of a divorce. 

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
1 minute ago, Khallaf said:

I don't think you can add him to health insurance until he either has an ITIN or a SSN.

No he can be added without either an SSN or ITIN. SSA is very clear about this.

Once he gets an SSN, the insurer requires the employee to notify the company of the SSN.  

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

from someone who has done it it cost just a couple of hundred dollars, but who expects their relationship to fail

Wow. You got divorced and putting your spouse on the deed only cost you $200 in the divorce settlement. I wish I had  your lawyer. 

I live in California. Suffice to say it is much more than “just a couple hunded dollars”. It’s more than a couple hundred thousand dolllars.  

I didn't expect my first marriage to fail and it cost substantially more than a couple hundred dollars. And it costs me much more in alimony each month.  

Advice to hand over assets with hundreds of thousands of dollars should be weighed very carefully.  

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

No he can be added without either an SSN or ITIN. SSA is very clear about this.

Once he gets an SSN, the insurer requires the employee to notify the company of the SSN.  

my insurance company would not let me add my husband without a ITIN or SSN, and refused to let me do it as it was out of the country.

I was able to get him added only after he had ITIN and proof he had a visa to enter the USA and only at enrollment time.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

my insurance company would not let me add my husband without a ITIN or SSN, and refused to let me do it as it was out of the country.

I was able to get him added only after he had ITIN and proof he had a visa to enter the USA and only at enrollment time.

Then apparently  some employer health insurers don’t comply with the ACA.

Marriage is a qualifying event and a spouse can be added an employer plan outside of open enrollment. 

If you were divorcing your husband and he was out of the country, I doubt they’d refuse to drop him from the insurance. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
1 hour ago, Desbaez said:

All I have right now is 

1.My marriage license and the translation

2. The two passport photos of both of us 

3. 60 photos of our honeymoon, random pictures together.

4. 28 photos text conversations 

5. Copy of my passport front and back and my passport stamps 

6. And copies of the tickets for the plane tickets of me going there.

Is that enough evidence to just go ahead and send it off?  And should I write beside the picture what each picture is or does that not matter? 

I didn’t include any photos during i130 phase (you are including those which is good). I had included the following extra evidences in my petition if it helps you.

1. my spouse as beneficiary in my 401k.

2. my spouse as beneficiary in my banking account (my bank wudn’t add her for joint account as she was overseas and no SSN/ITIN)

3. My spouse as an authorized user to my credit cards

4. Recipts of gifts/expenses i had sent to her

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Then apparently  some employer health insurers don’t comply with the ACA.

Marriage is a qualifying event and a spouse can be added an employer plan outside of open enrollment. 

If you were divorcing your husband and he was out of the country, I doubt they’d refuse to drop him from the insurance. 

its all just paperwork after all LOL

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I just had an experience with adding my husband to my bank account without SSN/ITIN. Thought it might be useful.

My husband is in the States right now visiting me on Visa Waiver Program. So we went together to my local credit union. Elas, they refused to add him to my account there. The reason: My husband did NOT have a valid visa in his passport. We showed the ESTA paperwork and I-94 record printed out as well as the stamp "Admitted" at POE in his passport, and tried to explain how VWP works, all in vain.

Then we went to Bank of America (where I also have a bank account) and it was successful. Not only they added my hubby to my checking account there but promised to mail him a debit card AND a credit card within 10 business days. The credit card would be for his name only, as a separate credit card and not as an authorized user of mine. WOW. 

Edited by portorusa

1 hour ago, portorusa said:

I just had an experience with adding my husband to my bank account without SSN/ITIN. Thought it might be useful.

My husband is in the States right now visiting me on Visa Waiver Program. So we went together to my local credit union. Elas, they refused to add him to my account there. The reason: My husband did NOT have a valid visa in his passport. We showed the ESTA paperwork and I-94 record printed out as well as the stamp "Admitted" at POE in his passport, and tried to explain how VWP works, all in vain.

Then we went to Bank of America (where I also have a bank account) and it was successful. Not only they added my hubby to my checking account there but promised to mail him a debit card AND a credit card within 10 business days. The credit card would be for his name only, as a separate credit card and not as an authorized user of mine. WOW. 

What is the visa waiver program? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.