Desbaez

Proof of bonifide marriage

73 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

aware it is not legal, also be aware that sometimes people have no idea on what to do, so they do have up to 3 years to amend, again with that being said should someone file single but really married they are only hurting themselves not the government. The chance someone is going to have what you call Tax Fraud brought against them are slim to none, unless the it is a benefit up in the thousands of dollar range.

with that being said it is important to check on the country in which a person is filing with, is it a high fraud country? if not simple and easy things are okay, however if it is a high fraud country the more of evidence you have the better.

This is not called forcing evidence but providing as much as possible :) 

when giving out advise as to what a person has being valuable or enough, one must look into the country the visa will be issued.

I wish you tremendous luck in your journey.

Regardless of whether they are prosecuted or not it IS still classified as tax fraud, so following the law and filing as married when you are married is not evidence, it is simply following the law and filing taxes as you are legally required to. Higher fraud countries do need more evidence but the USCIS understands that there is only so much you can have when you have never lived together, having fun plentiful proof of time together in person is evidence in eyes of USCIS and adding spouse onto insurance is just some extra reassurance as USCIS will of course know you can’t have much financial mingling when you live in different countries 

Edited by LilyJohansen

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

The chance someone is going to have what you call Tax Fraud brought against them are slim to none, unless the it is a benefit up in the thousands of dollar range.

Actually, the IRS will pay you 15% reward if you report people who have cheated on their taxes.....the maximum reward is $10,000,000.00 per year...☺️

https://money.cnn.com/2010/03/02/pf/taxes/rat_out_tax_cheat/

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
3 minutes ago, LilyJohansen said:

Regardless of whether they are prosecuted or not it IS still classified as tax fraud, so following the law and filing as married when you are married is not evidence, it is simply following the law and filing taxes as you are legally required to. Higher fraud countries do need more evidence but the USCIS understands that there is only so much you can have when you have never lived together, having fun plentiful proof of time together in person is evidence in eyes of USCIS and adding spouse onto insurance is just some extra reassurance as USCIS will of course know you can’t have much financial mingling when you live in different countries 

like I stated earlier, some have done it as some have not known what to do, again with that being said they have up to 3 years to amend a tax return,.

there is plenty along the way of proof to show shared finance, at which plenty of couples have been able to show. 

Front loading and side loading a petition is in the best interest of any couple attempting to get a spouse visa.

I do not want to argue with you anymore you clearly seems to think you are right on every aspect of immigration, however you are just starting your process.

I have completed my process and I know what should be given, what can be given, and what is favored at each stage.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, missileman said:

Actually, the IRS will pay you 15% reward if you report people who have cheated on their taxes.....the maximum reward is $10,000,000.00 per year...☺️

https://money.cnn.com/2010/03/02/pf/taxes/rat_out_tax_cheat/

I am sure they do, but I was simply making a point that people have made mistakes when filing taxes and they have 3 years to amend the return here in VJ we have seen a number of people be told they can file single because there is no way to add their spouse, when we all know that isn't the case.

I was not advocating for it but explaining that it can and has happened, and how they fix it.

not to mention LilyJohansen jumped down my throat telling me that it isn't in anyway proof or evidence when doing a spouse visa.

Edited by Khallaf

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

like I stated earlier, some have done it as some have not known what to do, again with that being said they have up to 3 years to amend a tax return,.

there is plenty along the way of proof to show shared finance, at which plenty of couples have been able to show. 

Front loading and side loading a petition is in the best interest of any couple attempting to get a spouse visa.

I do not want to argue with you anymore you clearly seems to think you are right on every aspect of immigration, however you are just starting your process.

I have completed my process and I know what should be given, what can be given, and what is favored at each stage.

I do not think in any way that I am right on everything, however I trust the word of the MANY many other very seasoned members on this site who have stated multiple times on other threads that taxes are NOT proof of anything. I am not saying that finances are not good evidence, I am saying TAXES are not good evidence, as many other members who have been on this site for a very long time have also said.

Edited by LilyJohansen

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

• Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

Timeline
6 minutes ago, LilyJohansen said:

I do not think in any way that I am right on everything, however I trust the word of the MANY many other very seasoned members on this site who have stated multiple times on other threads that taxes are NOT proof of anything. I am not saying that finances are not good evidence, I am saying TAXES are not good evidence, as many other members who have been on this site for a very long time have also said.

Taxes can also affect the success of a marriage petition. If you are filing for permanent residence based on your marriage to a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident, you must prove that the marriage is bona fide, i.e. to establish a marital life together and not just to get a green card. As part of the evidence, the USCIS will review your tax returns to confirm that they were filed jointly.

Similarly, if you are filing a petition to convert your two-year residence to a 10 year residence, you must again establish the bona fides of your marriage. Once again, the USCIS will want to see that you filed taxes jointly with your spouse.

http://www.nejamelaw.com/articles/taxes-and-immigration-consequences.html

1. File your taxes jointly with your spouse using “married” status, if possible. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services will consider a jointly filed, married tax return as evidence that your relationship to your spouse isbona fide

https://jgoldlaw.com/green-card/want-a-green-card-through-marriage-how-tax-returns-might-help-or-hurt/

Edited by Khallaf

Timeline
7 minutes ago, LilyJohansen said:

I am saying TAXES are not good evidence,

I disagree.  Jointly filed taxes are good evidence...as are separately filed taxes with the same as address.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, missileman said:

I disagree.  Jointly filed taxes are good evidence...as are separately filed taxes with the same as address.

Yes but for those who do not have the same address or means to file jointly it doesn’t prove for much

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

Interview Stage:

Timeline
3 minutes ago, LilyJohansen said:

Yes but for those who do not have the same address or means to file jointly it doesn’t prove for much

everyone has the means to file jointly if they are married.

you can file married filing separate, if your spouse is not in the USA you fill in the SSN field by putting NRA with all your knowledge I am sure you knew that fact.

before you continue to argue this point please take it from immigration lawyers that filing married proves that the marriage is bonafide, and is to be used as proof.

Edited by Khallaf

Timeline
26 minutes ago, LilyJohansen said:

Actually, if a person files "Married Filing Separately", he/she must still list the spouse's name on the 1040.......thereby producing a piece of marriage evidence....

You said "taxes are NOT proof of anything".....

Edited by missileman

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

everyone has the means to file jointly if they are married.

you can file married filing separate, if your spouse is not in the USA you fill in the SSN field by putting NRA with all your knowledge I am sure you knew that fact.

before you continue to argue this point please take it from immigration lawyers that filing married proves that the marriage is bonafide, and is to be used as proof.

Yes I do already know how to file separately as I have already done as it is illegal to file single as I’ve already said.  However all your points were about filing JOINTly which unless one wants to wait 8-10 weeks for an ITIN plus the time after filing to submit their petition it is not doable to file joint. Anyways like I have already said earlier none of this is even relevant to OPs question, they will be fine with their evidence along with their proof of adding their spouse on their insurances without adding taxes as evidence, they will see their taxes later at the NVC stage anyways. You seem to think I am trying to “attack you” which has never been the case so I am done with the conversation as none of this is even relevant to begin with. 

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

Interview Stage:

Timeline
4 minutes ago, missileman said:

Actually, if a person files "Married Filing Separately", he/she must still list the spouse's name on the 1040.......thereby producing a piece of marriage evidence....

You said "taxes are NOT proof of anything".....

A marriage certificate is also proof of a marriage but it is still not evidence enough on its own other than that you filed paperwork and got another piece of paper in return, taxes are also just proof you filed paperwork aka filed your taxes married as you are legally required to and separately filed taxes you aren’t commingling finances at all, but as I’ve already said to Khallaf none of this is relevant to OPs question anyways so I think it’s best dropped

Edited by LilyJohansen

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

Interview Stage:

Timeline
6 minutes ago, LilyJohansen said:

A marriage certificate is also proof of a marriage but it is still not evidence enough on its own other than that you filed paperwork and got another piece of paper in return, taxes are also just proof you filed paperwork aka filed your taxes married as you are legally required to and separately filed taxes you aren’t commingling finances at all, but as I’ve already said to Khallaf none of this is relevant to OPs question anyways so I think it’s best dropped

it is all completely relevant as the OP was asking what else they should provide with the petition, or asking if what they had was enough.

in the end it is all just paperwork right.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, LilyJohansen said:

No one piece of evidence is "enough on its own".   A good case will have a variety of pieces of evidence.  Filed taxes is a legal document normally generated during a marriage.  Thus, it can serve as good evidence.  Actually, it is relevant to the OP's question 

BTW:  A rental lease can also show is responsible for the payment of rent during the rental agreement period(not just who lives there).  

Timeline
1 minute ago, Khallaf said:

it is all completely relevant as the OP was asking what else they should provide with the petition, or asking if what they had was enough.

in the end it is all just paperwork right.

An ARGUMENT is not relevant at all to OPs post. They’ve already been given advice they can take or leave whatever they like, none of this has anything to do with OP anymore, good day.

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

Interview Stage:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.