39 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello Guys... My interview was on the 14 February 2019 here in Accra ... was at the US embassy at 6:45am while my appointment time was 7:30am...Got into the embassy around 7:20am and waited for about 2hrs45 minutes and was called to the window 11 where a dark American woman ask me basic questions about my wife 

1. What is your wife’s address 
  2. When did u get married 
  3. Have u married before 
  4. Have your wife been married before 
  5. Do your wife has kids 

Then she asked of my police report, medicals, BirthCert, marriage certificate, photo album, slips of receipts showing if she has sent me money before, Any call records, WhatsApp, Facebook, Skype, hangout, viber chat which I gave her everything. She also asked of my wife’s 2017 Tax Transcript which I gave to her... she asked me to go and have a seat and for about 6mins was called to window 5. 

The Co was a young white American about 35 years or more but not up to 40 years.. he asked me to raise my hand and swear that I will say the truth which I said YES .. then he started with the questions: 

1. How did u meet your wife 
  2. When did u first met your wife 
  3. After marriage has ur wife visited again... I said no ... he asked why... I told him due to medical reasons .. the Co wanted to know exactly what medical reason it was .. I told him my wife had a surgery 
  4. What work does your wife do and position 
  5. Has she been married before 
  6. Does she has kids and how many 
  7. What’s the youngest age 
  8. I did mention I met my wife through my late brother inlaw... the Co asked me what killed him... I said he was sick and passed out .. the Co insisted I tell him exactly what killed him ... I told the Co that’s my wife’s darkest side and anytime I bring this issue up she starts carrying and won’t pick my calls for a day or two...
  9. The Co asked do you have a babe with your wife .. I told him unfortunately she had a miscarriage 
  10. He asked me for how long have you been married 
  11. When did u start talking to your wife 
  12. He asked me about my co sponsor .. what he does for living, his states and if he’s married and has kids and position at work 
  13. What is the Co sponsor to me 
  14. Has my wife met my co sponsor before 
  15. What work do I do here in Ghana 

Then after all these interrogations he said to me “ AM SORRY I CANT ISSUE YOU A VISA TODAY AND THAT YOUR WIFE DOESN’T MAKE ENOUGH SO U WILL BECOME A PUBLIC CHARGE” the surprise on my face and looking confused... he did not give me room to express myself so in short I told him thank you and parked my stuffs and left the embassy.... Any kindly advice on how to overcome this issue... My Attorney is so disappointed with this outcome and wifey been crying all day since ... these CO’s don’t know the genesis of how long this relationship has been but comes out with a funny decisions... Guys I need advices and measures to overcome this... Good luck to everybody with an upcoming interview and may the Good luck help us all ... 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Did you receive a 221g?  If so, what does it say?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

10 minutes ago, ABDUL-HANAN said:

AM SORRY I CANT ISSUE YOU A VISA TODAY AND THAT YOUR WIFE DOESN’T MAKE ENOUGH SO U WILL BECOME A PUBLIC CHARGE

Sounds like the only issue is an insufficient I-864. How much does she make? What evidence of her income did she provide? Any unusually out of pocket costs?

Edit: What about the joint sponsor? Same questions. How does she know the joint sponsor and for how long?

She likely needs to either find a different joint sponsor or take on a second job.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
5 minutes ago, missileman said:

Did you receive a 221g?  If so, what does it say?

I did not get a 221g but I got this and I quote “Section 212(a)(4) Which prohibits the issuance of a visa to anyone likely to become a public charge.” 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Sounds like the only issue is an insufficient I-864. How much does she make? What evidence of her income did she provide? Any unusually out of pocket costs?

She likely needs to either find a joint sponsor or take on a second job.

My wife makes above 17,000$ and my co sponsor maked 84,000$ in 2017 and made 73,000 last year 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

I see a few issues here

1st   it is Ghana and there are many denied visas

2nd   you are introduced thru a person/ he then would have been  a friend and you don't know how he died??????

3rd    you have not been together since the marriage 

4th    the CO saw the income was not sufficient  to  enable the visa

5th   you said wife had a  surgery  and you did not state the nature of her illness  and  that was  the questions

you overcome this by getting to know your wife better and prove  a REAL relationship 

she has to improve her income level

show she is not still ill and is able to provide so you will not become a public charge

prove you are educated so you can work in the US as married over 2 years the 10 year green card will be issued

and she reapplys  showing all of the above

All this I answered about her surgery and what type of surgery she took ... at the NVC my wife sent her tax transcripts which they said was not enough and so a co sponsor who happens to be a family friend who makes way more than what is required .. he made 73,000$ this year and made 84,000$ last year... the co did not give me that room to express my self for him to know that I’m a very well educated person with accounting background and computer course I did 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 minute ago, H&T said:

- What is the background of your wife?: how old is she, is she working, what's her education?

good questions as $17,000 is way low

can sure how she was able to afford the trip to meet an the attorney

do not take all this as  putting you down

really we are here to help

but honestly,  if you could not work yourself when coming to the US.,you would find living on $17,000 in the US is hard

some of these rules are also meant to protect you as you are totally unaware of living here

Timeline
3 minutes ago, H&T said:

- What is the background of your wife?: how old is she, is she working, what's her education?

Yes my wife has been working all her life and is not on any government food stamp and others... she is 47 now .... After High school 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, ABDUL-HANAN said:

All this I answered about her surgery and what type of surgery she took ... at the NVC my wife sent her tax transcripts which they said was not enough and so a co sponsor who happens to be a family friend who makes way more than what is required .. he made 73,000$ this year and made 84,000$ last year... the co did not give me that room to express my self for him to know that I’m a very well educated person with accounting background and computer course I did 

we all  know the cosponsor  doesn't  contribute to the living costs 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

good questions as $17,000 is way low

can sure how she was able to afford the trip to meet an the attorney

do not take all this as  putting you down

really we are here to help

but honestly,  if you could not work yourself when coming to the US.,you would find living on $17,000 in the US is hard

some of these rules are also meant to protect you as you are totally unaware of living here

Well previously she made 19,000$ and coins and because she doesn’t not met the requirements that’s why the co sponsor.. so the question is why the co sponsor?? Any help to move his forward will do .. thanks really appreciate the insight 

13 minutes ago, ABDUL-HANAN said:

My wife makes above 17,000$ and my co sponsor maked 84,000$ in 2017 and made 73,000 last year 

The $17k disqualifies her from consideration without a joint sponsor.

The joint sponsor's income sounds good. What is the relationship between her and the joint sponsor? What evidence of his/her income was provided?

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
1 minute ago, ABDUL-HANAN said:

Yes my wife has been working all her life and is not on any government food stamp and others... she is 47 now .... After High school 

[she is 47 now .... After High school] . The problem is right there. Possible the CO make the call base on your wife tax return, the surgery and [ ]. Support herself+ you with around 17k/year is way too low.

Timeline

the bottom line is

the CO saw many reasons to deny the visa

you can not argue his decision 

your wife can wait 6 or more months for the case to come back to the US and respond to the NOIR or NOID

but she will have to prove all that the CO determined was wrong

and i appealed a denial which i won after a year   in  the Court of Appeals

and the court said "marriage is bona fida .,,,  reapply"

so you and your wife need to work on the things that the CO found inadmissible like i stated above and reapply

i am not against you 

telling you what i see as issues

i would not have approved the visa either

so,  make the necessary improvements so you have a chance at the next interview

and BTW  she needs one or more trips to be with you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.