jennymarie1116

K-1 Visa, Health Insurance - YIKES! Help!

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

You have to suck it up. Welcome to the great healthcare we have here in the United States. I just got married a week ago and added my spouse to my insurance. 126.76 per pay period extra out of my check. So about 250 a month, but I planned on this and to cover her I threw about 7000 in a high yield saving account. And have not had to use it. And one poster said your spouse should be working in 6 months is going to be  a pretty optimistic estimate. It's not just the EAD, but they have to find a job unless he already has one lined up ,if so great, but figure a month for that with application and interview. Then most employees are not eligible for benefits for the first 90 days of employment. It varies based on the job. Some you are eligible the date of hire, but those a few and far between. So I would plan on more like 9 months. They do have what's called calamity insurance that isn't too expensive monthly, but it's only going to save you in the event of a serious injury like a heart attack or something. Start saving now, since my fiancee has been here I've been hemoraging money. There are so many things you can't even think about now you are going to have to get. My biggest was the 4200 I dropped for a trade school for her to get licensed by the state, so she can work. It was a cash special I got from the school, but if your thinking education know the pending immigrant is looked at as a foreign student, so high rates, plus non resident on top of that, and not eligible for any grants or financial aid, it really is not cool. Best advice is to save every penny and dime you can, you have time on your side, take advantage of it. Maybe if your in pretty good health take the cheapest insurance you can get from your employer, because when you get married it's a life change, so you can completely redo your coverage then, will give you money to save now.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

4 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

You have to suck it up. Welcome to the great healthcare we have here in the United States. I just got married a week ago and added my spouse to my insurance. 126.76 per pay period extra out of my check. So about 250 a month, but I planned on this and to cover her I threw about 7000 in a high yield saving account. And have not had to use it. And one poster said your spouse should be working in 6 months is going to be  a pretty optimistic estimate. It's not just the EAD, but they have to find a job unless he already has one lined up ,if so great, but figure a month for that with application and interview. Then most employees are not eligible for benefits for the first 90 days of employment. It varies based on the job. Some you are eligible the date of hire, but those a few and far between. So I would plan on more like 9 months. They do have what's called calamity insurance that isn't too expensive monthly, but it's only going to save you in the event of a serious injury like a heart attack or something. Start saving now, since my fiancee has been here I've been hemoraging money. There are so many things you can't even think about now you are going to have to get. My biggest was the 4200 I dropped for a trade school for her to get licensed by the state, so she can work. It was a cash special I got from the school, but if your thinking education know the pending immigrant is looked at as a foreign student, so high rates, plus non resident on top of that, and not eligible for any grants or financial aid, it really is not cool. Best advice is to save every penny and dime you can, you have time on your side, take advantage of it. Maybe if your in pretty good health take the cheapest insurance you can get from your employer, because when you get married it's a life change, so you can completely redo your coverage then, will give you money to save now.

I was under the impression you could get a work authorization slip in around 2 to 3 months.  I know the green card takes about a yr, but I thought my fiancé could work within a few months as long as she had the work authorization.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

How long it takes to get temporary work authorization pending green card approval may depend on where the application is being processed.  Ours took 6 months from applying for AOS.  I had my wife put on my health care coverage beginning with the first day of the month after our marriage. Basically doubled my healthcare cost but that's life in the US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
57 minutes ago, Todd55 said:

I was under the impression you could get a work authorization slip in around 2 to 3 months.  I know the green card takes about a yr, but I thought my fiancé could work within a few months as long as she had the work authorization.

Work authorization takes wayyy more then 2-3 months. And seems the wait time keeps growing.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

9 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

Work authorization takes wayyy more then 2-3 months. And seems the wait time keeps growing.

thanks for the reply. well I guess my fiance and I are going to be eating ramen noodles and tuna fish for a long time. haha!  it is going to be really rough for the first year until she can get a job and we can have two incomes.  I plan to get a second job but it's still going to be very hard. however, the plus side is I have the love of my life with me, and with her by my side we can move mountains.

Timeline

Here is the link for current processing times based on the last 90 days. Looks like about 150 days, or 5 months.

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/eadstats.php?history=90

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Todd55 said:

well I guess my fiance and I are going to be eating ramen noodles and tuna fish for a long time. haha! 

If you only knew how true that statement is......

IMG_20190210_155610.jpg

10 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

If you only knew how true that statement is......

IMG_20190210_155610.jpg

looks like you are well-prepared my friend. Yes, I'm bracing for some really rough times here for a few months coming up.  thank God my folks said they are going to help out with a nice monetary honeymoon present.  that should help us quite a bit.

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Todd55 said:

looks like you are well-prepared my friend. Yes, I'm bracing for some really rough times here for a few months coming up.  thank God my folks said they are going to help out with a nice monetary honeymoon present.  that should help us quite a bit.

Sounds good. Just keep the wedding and everything reasonable. A lot of K1s just do a court house wedding, or something reasonable. I kept mine under about 1000 dollars total and had really one nice wedding. I just don't understand why people would drop 15-20k on a wedding when you are just starting out together. If you have the cash, great, do it big, but if you are still paying off your wedding at your 5 or 10 year anniversary, you went a little bit overboard.

20 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Sounds good. Just keep the wedding and everything reasonable. A lot of K1s just do a court house wedding, or something reasonable. I kept mine under about 1000 dollars total and had really one nice wedding. I just don't understand why people would drop 15-20k on a wedding when you are just starting out together. If you have the cash, great, do it big, but if you are still paying off your wedding at your 5 or 10 year anniversary, you went a little bit overboard.

I agree 100 percent! I got married at my parents and just decorated everything. It was great and we spent probably under 1000 as well. Highest cost being the dress and cake. Definitely, don't regret it a bit. 

Yup....$400/month is pretty typical now for a decent plan. At least with the employer sponsored plan, presumably they're covering a decent portion of the full premium.

There are cheaper short-term private options, although you do get what you pay for.

As noted, don't get travel insurance as it won't cover a new resident (even if they aren't a permanent resident yet).

5 hours ago, martinzl said:

How long it takes to get temporary work authorization pending green card approval may depend on where the application is being processed.  Ours took 6 months from applying for AOS.

The I-765 and I-131 due to AOS are processed by the NBC, not the local field offices.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

One thing you need to remember. When adjusting your W-4, you can now add another exemption so that less money is being withdrawn. This makes a big difference if you are claiming '0' and now adjust for 2! Your extra money or some additional money will come from there. I'm not a CPA, (nor do I play one on TV). Something to think about!

USCIS I-129F Petition:   image.png.5e26813a0fee6f4065ce829758e29731.png      

image.png.66176722dd07631b884c6730df9ff788.pngimage.png.63696e1e1440439256be59ac086d18bb.png

Dept of State K1 Visa:   image.png.9a78db6ac742a01a01d0b157963311c8.png       image.png.8b2371c75847cbfbc45e7dc896f8ba1f.pngimage.png.e0b583662f868174b3c52088da49263c.pngimage.png.7f70a1e5e353924875a93c2b082fbee0.png
USCIS I-485 Petition:   

image.png.465aaf5ca7c51799120b0fab7f99afe5.png

image.png.e0b583662f868174b3c52088da49263c.pngimage.png.7f70a1e5e353924875a93c2b082fbee0.png

12 hours ago, Loren Y said:

yes, way ahead of you, courthouse wedding was what we had planned for quite a while now.  it's going to be very simple Low key and then we might go to a restaurant afterwards with a few family and friends.

Edited by Todd55
misspelled word

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
22 hours ago, jennymarie1116 said:

For us, it was mostly a matter of timing and wanting to go the faster route.  Health insurance wasn't an issue when we first started our application, but has become one since I'm changing jobs (and, because premiums went up at my old job, it would have become one anyways even if I didn't change jobs).  I know there's pros/cons of both routes and I'm glad we are on the path we're on, but we're just trying to navigate the sticky period between him coming here and him working - which became stickier!  :) 

Yet another reason the CR-1 is the superior visa option.

The costs people go through to be together a few months sooner boggles the mind. It just isn't worth it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.