Crazy Cat

Hawaii considers ban on cigarette sales

140 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I don't smoke, and I definitely encourage others not to smoke..........but what is next?  Bacon????  I especially enjoyed this part: "Two years later, no one under 100 would be allowed to buy cigarettes."

https://abc30.com/society/hawaii-considers-ban-on-cigarette-sales/5119182/

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

5 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

But weed is legal there, Go figure...…..

Weed is not as bad for you as cigarettes 

Timeline

Hawaii has the 4th largest tax on cigarettes...  $3.20 a pack.  That's a lot of tax revenue to make up.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Just now, missileman said:

Hawaii has the 4th largest tax on cigarettes...  $3.20 a pack.  That's a lot of tax revenue to make up.....

Tax weed.  Its funny just how many people in the auto biz smoke.

One of my fav mangaers in the past two years has had a stroke and triple bypass. Still smokes two packs a day

I think smoking is a very bad idea but the same thing will happen if you ban cigarettes as what happens when other substances like alcohol are banned. A violent black market will emerge.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Don't think you can really compare cigarettes to bacon.

Although I'd say probably the best way to get rid of those nasty things would just be to raise taxes enough where a pack costs like $50.

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

45 minutes ago, OriZ said:

Although I'd say probably the best way to get rid of those nasty things would just be to raise taxes enough where a pack costs like $50.

The 67 year old recent stroke/bypass/growth on lung i mentioned would pay, that but more than likely buy them on the black market which would thrive 

Timeline
46 minutes ago, OriZ said:

I don't compare cigarettes to bacon.  However, there is always an attempt from politicians (left and some on the right) to save people from themselves.....

Timeline

The cigarette tax is a scam........over the years, I have seen states adopt a "temporary" cigarette tax which was used to fund things which will require additional tax sources later when cigarette tax revenues drop.

Filed: Timeline
3 hours ago, OriZ said:

NY did that.  No pack of cigarettes can be sold for less than $15.

According to some muslims, bacon is much worse than bacon.

4 hours ago, missileman said:

I don't smoke, and I definitely encourage others not to smoke..........but what is next?  Bacon????  I especially enjoyed this part: "Two years later, no one under 100 would be allowed to buy cigarettes."

https://abc30.com/society/hawaii-considers-ban-on-cigarette-sales/5119182/

They mention the reason behind it as "protecting the public from themselves". Politicians need to stop talking and take a collective step back whenever they encounter that line of thinking. 

I hate cigarettes, and there are few things that set me off more easily than walking into a cloud of someone's second hand cigarette smoke, but I just don't like the reasoning behind this. The point about bacon shouldn't be overlooked. A little unfair to bacon but I get the point. Obesity is going to kill a lot more people than cigarettes in the long run, and there is an epidemic of that in Hawaii too. There are so many dangerous and questionable habits that people have. We can't legislate all of them, and thinking we can is not a good approach. 

I'd like to see better education on all these things. Just seeing the lungs of a long time smoker would be a deterrent for many people. Those that choose to smoke anyway, well we are all going to die someday. Assuming people do get something out of smoking, and recognized it is a trade off in health, that really is a choice people can make for themselves. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

48 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

NY did that.  No pack of cigarettes can be sold for less than $15.

According to some muslims, bacon is much worse than bacon.

The one thing that reminds me of is that Canadian bacon needs to be called out for what it really is. Ham.

My standards for bacon can even accept that stuff made out of turkey, but don't give me ham and try to say it's bacon.   

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

They mention the reason behind it as "protecting the public from themselves". Politicians need to stop talking and take a collective step back whenever they encounter that line of thinking. 

I hate cigarettes, and there are few things that set me off more easily than walking into a cloud of someone's second hand cigarette smoke, but I just don't like the reasoning behind this. The point about bacon shouldn't be overlooked. A little unfair to bacon but I get the point. Obesity is going to kill a lot more people than cigarettes in the long run, and there is an epidemic of that in Hawaii too. There are so many dangerous and questionable habits that people have. We can't legislate all of them, and thinking we can is not a good approach. 

I'd like to see better education on all these things. Just seeing the lungs of a long time smoker would be a deterrent for many people. Those that choose to smoke anyway, well we are all going to die someday. Assuming people do get something out of smoking, and recognized it is a trade off in health, that really is a choice people can make for themselves. 

Agree completely.......education and freedom to choose.