Jeanne Adil

file married jointly with foreign spouse

64 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Trinab80 said:

He earned income when he was living in Jamaica while going through the K1 process, but I'm curious how would I report that to my US tax return?

USCs, LPRs, and US tax residents are taxed on worldwide income. That's a drawback of being a resident alien.

In TurboTax, foreign income (as of when I did it last year) was declared as other income. You would then fill out the forms for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE) and/or Foreign Tax Credit (FTC) to exclude this income from being taxed by the US.

FEIE (Form 2555/2555EZ): https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-earned-income-exclusion

FTC (Form 1116): https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-tax-credit

I'll also refer to this pinned thread for foreign spouses:

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

USCs, LPRs, and US tax residents are taxed on worldwide income. That's a drawback of being a resident alien.

In TurboTax, foreign income (as of when I did it last year) was declared as other income. You would then fill out the forms for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE) and/or Foreign Tax Credit (FTC) to exclude this income from being taxed by the US.

FEIE (Form 2555/2555EZ): https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-earned-income-exclusion

FTC (Form 1116): https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-tax-credit

I'll also refer to this pinned thread for foreign spouses:

WOW......didn't know that so I'm happy I asked this question.

So, then my follow-up question would be...am I suppose to have him get paystubs from the multiple employers he had in Jamaica and/or try to convert JMD to USD when adding his income into our tax filing? Will TurboTax, automatically provide me a FEIE and/or FTC option? Because what I will probably do is delete out the numbers and start all over again so I can make sure everything is correct.

It's just confusing because if I had known his income needed to be reported I would have started collecting his paystubs from when he was still in Jamaica. And to think, I called myself getting his SSN card ASAP after he arrived so I can make sure I file married-joint without having to file a ITIN#. I hope it doesn't adjust my tax return amount too much, but I guess I got too excited to quickly...lol.

ROC Filing:

4/21/2021 - Sent ROC Package via FedEx

4/22/2021 - FedEx package delivered and signed

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

5/14/2021 - Received NOA1 via mail (NOA1 date: 5/8/2021)

6/9/2021 -  Biometrics waived - Case updated to Fingerprints taken

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Might be a stupid question to ask, but I've recently sent off my UK passport for renewal under my new married name. Husband hasn't filed for the taxes yet, but with everyone saying we'll need the passport as proof, and me seeing stuff about it being stamped to show proof of entry... is that going to be an issue with my new passport, as it won't have anything stamped in it? 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I didn't find an answer to a question "Whom should I show my foreign spouse's passport to while applying MFJ?"

My foreign husband is expected to visit me here in the States early March. We got married in October 2018, and his CR1 is pending.

When he is here in the States in March, we plan to file for his ITIN together.

4 hours ago, portorusa said:

I didn't find an answer to a question "Whom should I show my foreign spouse's passport to while applying MFJ?"

My foreign husband is expected to visit me here in the States early March. We got married in October 2018, and his CR1 is pending.

You have to mail it with the w7 to the IRS. 

Check out the w7 on the IRS website. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
22 hours ago, portorusa said:

you can  try going to IRS office/get them to make a copy  and initial  the officer saw  original

but an original birth and marriage certificate is adqueate 

the best advice on this comes directly from IRS instructions on the form

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

Timeline
16 hours ago, NikLR said:

You have to mail it with the w7 to the IRS. 

Check out the w7 on the IRS website. 

To mail the passport to IRS? Really?

And how is my husband supposed to travel back without his passport?

Timeline
42 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

you can  try going to IRS office/get them to make a copy  and initial  the officer saw  original

but an original birth and marriage certificate is adqueate 

the best advice on this comes directly from IRS instructions on the form

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

Thank you for the response! I hope IRS office will be open by March (fingers crossed) and the government shutdown is over.

In this case can we just show all the original documents required to the IRS person there?

I don't feel comfortable to mail any originals to IRS....Will certified copies do?

Timeline
3 hours ago, portorusa said:

Thank you for the response! I hope IRS office will be open by March (fingers crossed) and the government shutdown is over.

In this case can we just show all the original documents required to the IRS person there?

I don't feel comfortable to mail any originals to IRS....Will certified copies do?

All  i  can  say  is i  sent an original marriage and birth ceritficate

that is why i had extras  made

i sent originals with a  translation in English

usually the passport is only used here by persons on  a work visa as a  stand only document

many of us don't like sending originals thru the mail (so use  UPS)

but  when  applying for US passport or  renewal  or SS benefits (for examples),  originals are required

Timeline
9 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

All  i  can  say  is i  sent an original marriage and birth ceritficate

Thank you for sharing! Were those originals returned to you later by IRS?

The thing is I only have 1 (one) original of our Arizona marriage certificate (it's so called "long form", which is the marriage license+marriage certificate with the silver stamp). They won't give you more than one.

They would give you a certified copy if you ask (short form, only marriage certificate with a white stamp), no problem. Can it be considered as "original" though?

It's for this reason that I am not sending out the true original (long form) to anyone, no way.

Timeline
4 hours ago, portorusa said:

Thank you for sharing! Were those originals returned to you later by IRS?

The thing is I only have 1 (one) original of our Arizona marriage certificate (it's so called "long form", which is the marriage license+marriage certificate with the silver stamp). They won't give you more than one.

They would give you a certified copy if you ask (short form, only marriage certificate with a white stamp), no problem. Can it be considered as "original" though?

It's for this reason that I am not sending out the true original (long form) to anyone, no way.

seriously?

what  happens if it is lost?'

guess you use the short form

you married  here in  the US and he will interview in his home country

probably they will not ask to  see original  but the embassy can 

not a high fraud country so this is lucky part

i guess i  am  lucky 

NY state provided me with 4 birth cetificates and here in  Tn i was able to have as many death cetificates of my late husband as i  needed

and in Morocco we have had to have several marriage certficates for different reasons

a certified copy is a copy from the original issuer and yes that's acceptable. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
On 1/18/2019 at 2:25 PM, John & Rose said:

Correct.  I asked the IRS about that before the shutdown.  They need the actual passport.  You are in better shape than me.  He may be in the states before you have to file.  I have my wife's passport and I have a trip planned in April.  If I don't get the passport back before the trip she may not have one for the interview unless I do a quick trip to drop it off.  I don't trust FedEx for that.  I may have to though.

I'm confused. Their instructions state original or certified copy. Why would they put that in the instructions if they will only accept the original passport?

"You must submit original documents, or certified copies of 
these documents from the issuing agency, that support the 
information provided on Form W-7. A certified document is one 
that the original issuing agency provides and certifies as an 
exact copy of the original document and contains an official certified stamp or seal".

Edited by Apple Bee

Marriage :

2018-04-19

I-130 Sent :

2018-05-18

I-130 NOA1 :

2018-05-22

I-130 Approved :

2018-11-28

NVC Received :

2019-01-03

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Send AOS Package :

2019-03-05

Receive IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Send IV Package :

2019-03-05

Case Completed:                      

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter :

Interview :

2019-03-15

2019-04-11

2019-05-21

APPROVED

The originals are certified by the IRS Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA) or the country of origin. That is an option. With a CAA the original passport will only be out of your hands for about 10 minutes. I’m my checking they are pricey. I would rather send the original than pay between $350 and $700 to have the CAA certify it. 

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Please help!!  I am so confused about what to do..so I am hoping someone has a clear answer. I filed my tax return in January as single,  no dependents, and already got my refund:( I married my husband in August 24, 2018. He has no SS # lives in India and has been unemployed for the past couple of years. He does not have a tax ID for India.

My PD is September 2018, (Nebraska) so I think I have time to make any changes before the NVC process. I spoke with a tax consultant and she said fining single was ok because it was the end of the year. I now read the IRS website and that doesn't appear to be true. So do I need to amend my tax return? :( 

NOA 1:           September 18, 2018

NOA 2:           August  20, 2019 

Sent NVC:      September 11, 2019

Rec NVC:       September 18, 2019

Case #           October 16, 2019

Docs Sub:      October 21, 2019

Doc Qual.       October  22, 2019 

IL:                    January 23, 2020

INT. Date:       February 11, 2020

APPROVED

POE  Date      March 11, 2020

GC Received  July 3, 2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.