bahsan

Continues Residency - how my case might the evaluated?

70 posts in this topic

(b) Absence from the United States of more than six months but less than one year during the period for which continuous residence is required for admission to citizenship... shall break the continuity of such residence, unless the applicant shall establish to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that he did not in fact abandon his residence in the United States during such period.  
      Absence from the United States for a continuous period of one year or more during the period for which continuous residence is required for admission to citizenship (whether preceding or subsequent to the filing of the application for naturalization) shall break the continuity of such residence...

Everyone here is focusing on the "continuous residence" requirement.  Maybe I have lost my mind but reading the above does not say you must to be out of country for more than 6 months of continuous days.   It suggests to me that being out of one's country of residence (USA) for a total of more than 6 months during a one year period may be the problem.  Call me crazy but perhaps this is where there is some confusion?  Just saying.  Aloha, David

One more thing.  I have never been able to understand why someone wants to become a US citizen only to live in another country.

3 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

OP, can you clarify if you have actually counted the days to meet the minimum physical presence requirement? It’s hard to tell from what you’ve stated here. 

The rest of the debate could just be a red herring without this.

minimum physical presence requirement is 18 months out of 3 years after getting green card. from Dec 2015 to July 2017 is - 1 year and half . As I mentioned I my visits to foreign country happened during that time.. from July 2017 to Jan 2019 is 18 months which satisfy the physical presence if I understand the rule correctly 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
12 minutes ago, bahsan said:

one should not jump to conclusion without knowing the facts 

It would be nice if you share the facts.  Did you claim Canadian residency during this time?  You haven't provided facts, so that is why people are conjecturing and jumping to conclusions.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
56 minutes ago, bahsan said:

minimum physical presence requirement is 18 months out of 3 years after getting green card. from Dec 2015 to July 2017 is - 1 year and half . As I mentioned I my visits to foreign country happened during that time.. from July 2017 to Jan 2019 is 18 months which satisfy the physical presence if I understand the rule correctly 

You keep focusing on the physical presence part----you have to ensure you meet the continuous presence part too.

If you could answer the questions about claims of residency in Canada, and what ties you kept in the US while working in Canada (also if you set up housing in Canada, did you file taxes in Canada and under what status) that would be helpful to members in trying to assist you in determining whether it's wiser to apply now, or wait another year or so for the N400.

People do want to help you out here---but they need information to be able to do so.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline
1 hour ago, David & Zoila said:

One more thing.  I have never been able to understand why someone wants to become a US citizen only to live in another country.

Different reasons I suppose.  

I have friends who have US citizenship but live in other countries---one of the reasons they went through with US citizenship was so that they could travel freely to the US when visiting their USC-born children whom they no longer have physical custody of due to divorce---or are now adults themselves, in one case---and not have to worry about length of stay abroad/trouble entering the US.  Or monetary/elderly parents/whatever concerns and someone ends up moving back.

Not saying this is the case for the OP, just giving a few examples.  Everyone's situation is different.

Just like different reasons why people choose to live in the US in the first place... instead of the USC moving to the foreign country.

On an aside...not everyone *wants* to become a US Citizen, sometimes it's the best choice to at a certain point in life.  Sometimes it's not a good choice or what a person wants at all, and they stay a LPR forever...(me, I wanted to finally divorce USCIS, but I did wait close to 13 years before doing the N400).

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

1 hour ago, David & Zoila said:

(b) Absence... of more than six months... during the period for which continuous residence is required for admission to citizenship... shall break the continuity of such residence...

Everyone here is focusing on the "continuous residence" requirement.... It suggests to me that being out of one's country of residence (USA) for a total of more than 6 months during a one year period may be the problem.  Call me crazy but perhaps this is where there is some confusion?  Just saying.  Aloha, David

I see what you mean. In fact, the law, above, only refers to absences (that are) more than six months. Not total absence more than six months. That's why it's called continuous residence.

The physical presence requirement is what ensures total US presence of at least half the period of permanent residency.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Hijack post removed.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

14 hours ago, Going through said:

You keep focusing on the physical presence part----you have to ensure you meet the continuous presence part too.

If you could answer the questions about claims of residency in Canada, and what ties you kept in the US while working in Canada (also if you set up housing in Canada, did you file taxes in Canada and under what status) that would be helpful to members in trying to assist you in determining whether it's wiser to apply now, or wait another year or so for the N400.

People do want to help you out here---but they need information to be able to do so.

Sorry , I was not focusing in the physical presence part, was just answering someone question.

About claiming residence in Canada, I became Canadian residence few years before US green card, in 2016 did my tax as resident in Canada, as well as in US ( immediate family was in US), 2017 filed tax as emigrant in Canada , resident in US. I was working for US public company's Canadian entity, and had re-entry permit.

Timeline
2 hours ago, bahsan said:

Sorry , I was not focusing in the physical presence part, was just answering someone question.

About claiming residence in Canada, I became Canadian residence few years before US green card, in 2016 did my tax as resident in Canada, as well as in US ( immediate family was in US), 2017 filed tax as emigrant in Canada , resident in US. I was working for US public company's Canadian entity, and had re-entry permit.

Filing taxes as a "resident" of Canada in 2016 will likely bring up an issue, since you received your green card in 2015...and then claimed residency elsewhere.

I understand you also filed as a resident in the US for the same tax year, however you are expected to "reside" in the US only as a LPR.

There are restrictions as to what type of US employers you can work for abroad without breaking continuous residency as explained on the USCIS website (off-the-cuff does not sound like your employer qualifies):

Qualifying employment abroad means to be under employment contract or orders and to assume the duties of employment in any of following entities or positions:

•Government of the United States (including the U.S. armed forces);

•American institution of research recognized as such by the Attorney General;

•American firm or corporation engaged in whole or in part in the development of foreign trade and commerce of the United States, or a subsidiary thereof;

•Public international organization in which the United States participates by treaty or statute;

•Authorized to perform the ministerial or priestly functions of a religious denomination having a bona fide organization within the United States; or

•Engaged solely as a missionary by a religious denomination or by an interdenominational mission organization having a bona fide organization within the United States. 

There will likely be issues with proving you did not break continuous residency...honestly, it's better to wait until you meet the requirements before filing (unless you have money to burn). 

20 minutes ago, Going through said:

There will likely be issues with proving you did not break continuous residency...honestly, it's better to wait until you meet the requirements before filing (unless you have money to burn). 

Thanks for the advice, I'm thinking to apply after July 2019, so even if IO is not satisfied with 2016 residence status, I'll still have 2 year 1 day after that July 2017

19 hours ago, bahsan said:

one should not jump to conclusion without knowing the facts 

Conclusion???  This is not a conclusion....it's a question.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I have spent 341 days outside the USA over a nearly 3 year period from June 2015 to March 2018. After my time away from the USA due to my mother's deteriorating health, family weddings and wedding anniversaries, the wife and I took no more trips from June 2016 to June 2018 with exception of 4 days in Rocky Point ,Mexico. I have a continuous presence of over 22 months. I hope when my interview arrives the USCIS will understand my parents and family are getting up in age and my mother has now passed away.

I maintain residency with our house, car, drivers licence bank accounts etc.

Additionally all my taxes are filed in the USA since I got my green card.

Edited by Manc73

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.