Villanelle

People Who Have Never Lived In Poverty Should Stop Telling Poor People What To Do

43 posts in this topic

Just now, Cyberfx1024 said:

Then my body can burn the fat around my love handles that would be great. 

LOL that sub-q fat tends to be the hardest and last to go.  

I can burn the love handles, but getting rid of the chicken wings is harder for me. 

Best thing for me to suggest though is build lean muscle and burn more calories than you take in.  Cardio really does very little.  Go lift weights. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

1 minute ago, NikLR said:

LOL that sub-q fat tends to be the hardest and last to go.  

I can burn the love handles, but getting rid of the chicken wings is harder for me. 

Best thing for me to suggest though is build lean muscle and burn more calories than you take in.  Cardio really does very little.  Go lift weights. 

Yeah I know luckily I am seeing it shrink slowly since I have been focused on doing stuff to work them out. 

My chicken wings are muscle so that doesn't bother me. 

I am a muscular guy it's my tummy pisses me off. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
22 minutes ago, NikLR said:

In a country where people are thin due to poverty, fat is a huge source of calories.  1g of protein has 4 calories.  1g of carbs has 4 calories.  1g of fat has 9 calories.  So when you have little to eat, the fat becomes the calories you need to consume on a daily basis.  Your body also requires more energy to burn fat than carbs or protein so unless you're sedentary, you use what you take in. 

Physiologically speaking, our bodies crave a certain amount of fat and need it to actually function correctly and create hormones.  

Well, and what's easiest and cheapest especially if you're poor? fast food...

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

Filed: Timeline
4 hours ago, OriZ said:

No, what stands between them and the life of their dreams is usually the government. But yet the government is usually the one expected to be the savior. That said, I don't think it's fair to lump everyone into the same group and say if someone is poor it's because they're not working hard enough(that's like saying all rich people got there because they ripped everyone off). Everyone has very unique, individual and different circumstances, we are not to judge.

How so?  In my lifetime, I’ve never found the government to have impeded my success.  (Other than some taxes, or charging me to park at and enjoy the beach).

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, NigeriaorBust said:  I grew up rural poor in the United States.  Fast food wasn't an option , still isn't because it is at least a half hour drive away from where I grew up and for anyone think it is cheaper than home cooked hasn't ever really been broke. We wer poor as in we didn't have a water heater , indoor plumbing was something my father did shortly after I was born.   I wore hand me downs so gosh awful ugly even my sisters would tell mom to stop making me wear them at times.   A lot of what we ate was given to us or foraged and canned .  Food for free isn't necessarily good on it's own but can be used to help build a meal .  If I have the rice/noodles I can spend a bit on meat to with it.   A lot of greens and fruits can be gathered in season.   

Having grown up on that side of poor,  I studied and have  engineering degrees and a masters and now enjoy being on the other side of middle class. What I think the issue is that we don't prepare ( push) young people into becoming productive adults.  

I think you nailed it.  I have been working since I was 13.  Child labor laws be damned.  I am also the first person in my entire extended family to earn a degree.  Success is something that you are either pushed/encouraged into, or you don’t want to live like you used to, so you do something about it.  Never have I seen anyone achieve success from their couch.

Timeline
5 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

Say WHAT???  Fast food is far from cheap.  I can cook meals at home far cheaper.  And healthier, of course.

Hence why I also said easiest. Unfortunately, not everyone knows how to cook healthy, cheaper-than-mcdonalds meals at home, believe it or not, especially with the price of produce in the US. I'm not saying it's not doable, and in fact you can spend alot less on groceries than most people do today and eat perfectly fine, but many people don't know how to do that. And if they're working 14-20 hours a day, you can't realistically expect them to go home and cook. So where do they go? the easiest, quickest, cheapest place they can find. 

5 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

How so?  In my lifetime, I’ve never found the government to have impeded my success.  (Other than some taxes, or charging me to park at and enjoy the beach).

Well, consider yourself lucky then.

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

I cant cook a hamburger for a $1.  But then i dont buy the cheapest hamburger thats about to expire either and maybe i could if I did? 🤷‍♀️

But i can make 18 350 calorie meals in about 6 hours and not cook for the rest of the week.  :D

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

15 hours ago, NikLR said:

In a country where people are thin due to poverty, fat is a huge source of calories.  1g of protein has 4 calories.  1g of carbs has 4 calories.  1g of fat has 9 calories.  So when you have little to eat, the fat becomes the calories you need to consume on a daily basis.  Your body also requires more energy to burn fat than carbs or protein so unless you're sedentary, you use what you take in. 

Physiologically speaking, our bodies crave a certain amount of fat and need it to actually function correctly and create hormones.  

Agreed. Natural fats from animal sources are generally good for you. Not all fats are the same though. The ones that are bad for you are the artificial fats like trans fats. It is also a myth that all colestoral is bad for you. There are different types and some is good and some is bad. Your brain is in a large part made of colestoral. Most survivalist know that you can't stay alive on rabbit meat alone because it has no fat. Without any fat in your diet you will eventually die.

15 hours ago, OriZ said:

Well, and what's easiest and cheapest especially if you're poor? fast food...

Easiest? Maybe. Cheapest? Not by a long shot. We didnt have much when I was a child and fast food was a rare thing for us. We ate a lot of home cooked meals. In fact my brothers and I had to learn to cook because our mother was busy working 2-3 jobs. We came up with some pretty creative recipes.

5 hours ago, NikLR said:

I cant cook a hamburger for a $1.  But then i dont buy the cheapest hamburger thats about to expire either and maybe i could if I did? 🤷‍♀️

But i can make 18 350 calorie meals in about 6 hours and not cook for the rest of the week.  :D

I can cook one basically for free (except the bun and condiments). I just take a package of ground venison out of the freezer. Deer are plentiful where I live. So much so that hunters donate a lot of them to food banks and food banks give out a lot of packages of ground venison. I get your point though however that package of almost expired meat is probably healthier than the $1 "hamburger" from McDonald's.

5 hours ago, NikLR said:

Buy8mg and cooking in bulk is definitely the way to go if you want to save money. We try to do that as much as possible when we aren't too busy.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

15 hours ago, NigeriaorBust said:

I grew up rural poor in the United States.  Fast food wasn't an option , still isn't because it is at least a half hour drive away from where I grew up and for anyone think it is cheaper than home cooked hasn't ever really been broke. We wer poor as in we didn't have a water heater , indoor plumbing was something my father did shortly after I was born.   I wore hand me downs so gosh awful ugly even my sisters would tell mom to stop making me wear them at times.   A lot of what we ate was given to us or foraged and canned .  Food for free isn't necessarily good on it's own but can be used to help build a meal .  If I have the rice/noodles I can spend a bit on meat to with it.   A lot of greens and fruits can be gathered in season.   

Having grown up on that side of poor,  I studied and have  engineering degrees and a masters and now enjoy being on the other side of middle class.  What I think the issue is that we don't prepare ( push) young people into becoming productive adults.  

My experience wasn't too far off from you, and we were inner city folk. While fast food was available this was typically only reserved for special occasions (I can remember us being too poor for thanksgiving some years so we had KFC), and Happy Meals for birthdays otherwise it wasn't something we could afford. We did have running water, but for many years we had no heat except for a space heater, no air conditioning where our summers could be well over 100 degrees and winters could be brutal. Toys all hand me downs or dollar stores. Hand-me-downs from my cousins that would be delivered to me on my birthday by my wealthy uncle in a trash bag. Otherwise we would buy remnants of cloth from yard sales and mom would sew my clothing. This clothing wasn't anything from even the decade we lived in as some of the stuff was from the 60s-70s patterns. Food was whatever they could afford when using food stamps at the time and whatever they could afford when they eventually stopped using them (the church didn't give us anything). Processed #######, canned, hamburger helper with very old meat, spam, and frequently dinner was beans and eggs, or endless batches of ''spam soup'' which was spam and tinned veggies in tomato soup. I feel like at the time we had more beef than we did chicken (perhaps it was too expensive in the 80s.. not sure). Shopping was at a corner store or if we traveled to the only grocery store that was around at the time (which I have fond memories of seeing rats as big as cats run around inside!) Overall we had a terrible diet. I was a stick thin kid with a lot of health problems and the times dad would be let go from a job I remember going to bed hungry at night. We had little fresh veggies until the church had a weekly farmers market in summer. Mom would try and can stuff. But it wasn't very nice from memory. She wasn't the best cook, and had little interest. I still like to tell the story that once when she was in the hospital and dad was at work, he left me at home alone (maybe only six or so) with a plate of cold runny eggs (he couldn't cook worth a....). So I called my mom on the phone at the hospital and asked her how to use a gas stove so I could fix myself some food. I was barely tall enough to reach the top of a counter, let alone a stove.. but here I was, home alone, standing on a pile of library books stacked ontop of a short stool, cooking myself something to eat.

There was never any money for college or degrees and I spent my life growing up into adulthood caring for those parents - now old. My husband is the most educated person I know and his work provides that I could go to the campus for free. I would agree that kids these days are not prepared to become  or learn any skills that would help them for the future.... but some of us kids had to become adults very early with no chance to be a kid, and due to other factors bear the burden and responsibility of the endless stream of their parents mistakes. That is often what happens with poorer kids.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
2 hours ago, jg121783 said:

Agreed. Natural fats from animal sources are generally good for you. Not all fats are the same though. The ones that are bad for you are the artificial fats like trans fats. It is also a myth that all colestoral is bad for you. There are different types and some is good and some is bad. Your brain is in a large part made of colestoral. Most survivalist know that you can't stay alive on rabbit meat alone because it has no fat. Without any fat in your diet you will eventually die.

Easiest? Maybe. Cheapest? Not by a long shot. We didnt have much when I was a child and fast food was a rare thing for us. We ate a lot of home cooked meals. In fact my brothers and I had to learn to cook because our mother was busy working 2-3 jobs. We came up with some pretty creative recipes.

I can cook one basically for free (except the bun and condiments). I just take a package of ground venison out of the freezer. Deer are plentiful where I live. So much so that hunters donate a lot of them to food banks and food banks give out a lot of packages of ground venison. I get your point though however that package of almost expired meat is probably healthier than the $1 "hamburger" from McDonald's.

Buy8mg and cooking in bulk is definitely the way to go if you want to save money. We try to do that as much as possible when we aren't too busy.

Well, glad  you all were old enough to help cook. When my wife's kids were young she had to work three jobs and cook and fed them on $100 a month, so trust me I KNOW it's possible. But I also can't fault people who have no time or money left besides to take their kids to McDonald's. Y'all are completely missing the point here 

Oh i spend more money cooking in bulk but as i go to the gym 5 times a week and have goals, i cant buy cheaper foods.  I still will buy 50cent store brand over 1 dollar name brand tho.