Trameko38

i-864 and i-134 question

38 posts in this topic

I have my fiancé and her 2 children coming to the U.S.  I'm able to pass my I-134 with flying colors but I'm showing $1000 short for the I-864.  Does anyone have or had any experience or advice of what I should do?  I've been thinking that maybe a family could sponsor one of the children if that would work.  I'm hoping they would over look that 1000 short but I doubt.  It's such an upsetting situation.  I make over enough in Overtime but I know they don't factor that in

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Trameko38 said:

I have my fiancé and her 2 children coming to the U.S.  I'm able to pass my I-134 with flying colors but I'm showing $1000 short for the I-864.  Does anyone have or had any experience or advice of what I should do?  I've been thinking that maybe a family could sponsor one of the children if that would work.  I'm hoping they would over look that 1000 short but I doubt.  It's such an upsetting situation.  I make over enough in Overtime but I know they don't factor that in

What consulate?  Some consulates use the 125% for the K-1 (same as the I-864)

YMMV

Get a better job? This isn’t just about meeting the requirements to satisfy USCIS, you are about to go from a household of 1 to a household of 4 and if you are $1000 below the requirement that means you are going to be feeding and housing a family of 4 on $30,000 a year. Overtime can’t be guaranteed, I guess? Whereabouts in the country are you? That’s going to be miserable. Have you considered the cost of healthcare for three additional people? 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

3 minutes ago, Trameko38 said:

you cant assume someone is going to be miserable.  I didn't ask for advice on to get a better job. You can keep your  answer with that.  

Don't worry about posts that are off topic to your question or inappropriate.  

You will find a lot of useful information here

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

5 minutes ago, Trameko38 said:

you cant assume someone is going to be miserable.  I didn't ask for advice on to get a better job. You can keep your  answer with that.  Every year this poverty level goes up.  I made more than enough last year before the change.   It's not about whether you should have a better job.  There are families living with 5 people in a household that makes less than I do and still living great.  It' s about managing and budgeting for your family.  Also having a job with great health benefits for your family helps greatly

But you won't have "great benefits" for your family until you are married. You asked for advice, and you got mine. I can't help it that you don't agree with it. That's the risk of posting in a public forum - you will hear things you don't like. That's seriously what I would do in your shoes (get a better job). There's no way I could raise a family of 4 on $30k without being miserable. It's not about being materialistic. It's about opportunity. If one of the children showed musical or sport talent, I'd want to have the means to nurture that talent with lessons, equipment, etc. My mother raised 5 children single-handedly on one wage. I can assure you it was miserable. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Trameko38 said:

I'm hoping they would over look that 1000 short but I doubt. 

It won't happen.......even if you barely meet the minimum, the Consulate Officer has the option to require a sponsor.  Your options are:

Get a co-sponsor

Get an additional job

Get a better job

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Trameko38 said:

It's so upsetting when something like this is trying to keeping you from that one person you know you're suppose to enjoy the rest of your life with

Not true.  Financial requirements are in place to protect the immigrant and the American taxpayer.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Trameko38 said:

ok. thanks for the Kyiv info

They also go from this:

Evidence of support – from your American fiancé(e) – Affidavit of Support I-134 with the most recent tax return and/or W-2.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My employer gives Cost of Living increases twice a year. I was in the same situation as you but knew I would cover the 125% by the time I filed their Adjustment of Status. 

Our payroll department gave me verification of employment letters showing my actual YTD pay, including bonuses and overtime. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.