2,003 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
7 hours ago, Cryssiekins said:

I think you’re right - I had NO issue when I called in September, so they probably realized it was so simple that they had to go make it impossible again :( 

I'm glad that you are done with this incompetent federal agency who are good for nothing!so I was able to get hold of someone in Albany field office other day and officer told me since I got permanent residency in 2017 Ill have to wait for 5 years means untill 2022 to be even eligible for applying for naturalization? Obviously Officer has no idea what she was talking about?Can you believe this nonsense?It just showed how they trained their own employees? When I ask can I speak with your supervisor for reference that where did they get that information, the officer declined and asked me to contact USCIS customer service for further information basically she was trying to get away from me when I asked for explanation?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Charming12 said:

I'm glad that you are done with this incompetent federal agency who are good for nothing!so I was able to get hold of someone in Albany field office other day and officer told me since I got permanent residency in 2017 Ill have to wait for 5 years means untill 2022 to be even eligible for applying for naturalization? Obviously Officer has no idea what she was talking about?Can you believe this nonsense?It just showed how they trained their own employees? When I ask can I speak with your supervisor for reference that where did they get that information, the officer declined and asked me to contact USCIS customer service for further information basically she was trying to get away from me when I asked for explanation?

Yikes!  A lot of them really don’t know much about the process outside of their sole job within it.  I don’t necessarily blame them, but, if you’re not 100% sure, you gotta look it up, or ask someone else.  DMV is bad for that too. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hello All,

just wanted to update everyone after we had our N400 interview yesterday. I will start from the beginning. 

We had applied for I751 back in January 2019.

In January 26, 2020, we applied for the N400.

At Jan 28, 2020 our I751 was transferred to NVC. (No other updates were received for this application).

We had received our interview date for N400 back in September letting us know that the interview date was set for Oct 27 at 1:15PM.

One week before the Interview the USCIS officer actually called us and said that I (The UC) also must attend the interview as it will be a combo interview meaning both the N400 and I751 will be adjudicated at the same time.  This at least gave us some time to prepare for some babysitter. But we managed.

On Oct 27th, we both arrived at the USCIS office on time. They called our number, and the officer said to me (The UC) to wait in the waiting area and they will call me in later for the I751. There were several couples that also had the same situation and had to also wait. Their spouses were called in later by the officer to be interviewed.

After approx 30 min my wife comes out and the officer tells me it has all been taken care of congratulation. I was surprised that I was not called in, but hey at this point I take any positive news. We were done, oath ceremony next. 

On the way back I interrogated my wife. And this is what happened with the officer.

She entered the room and had to stand next to the chair. She got sworn in and took a seat.

The officer said we will do the I751 first and then the N400. 

I751:

First question was what does your husband work at? She answered.

Second question was you really have 3 kids with your husband and they are living with you? Officer was very surprised. She answered yes. He said hold on, let me check my computer. He came back and said, let move on to N400.

These were all the questions he asked her for the I751. I guess a working husband and 3 kids kind of proves the marriage was bona fide. :)

N400:

As we put in that we wanted to do a name change the officer wanted to clarify this first. We had already discussed this prior to our interview. If you elect for a name change then the oath ceremony will be done at the court house that will do the name change for you. With COVID the courts have been closed and now backlogged. So it could take a long time before that would happen. So the decision was made to NOT change our name. Once this was cleared the Civic test started.

Questions:

1. In what month do we vote for the president?

2. What is the name of the president of United States?

3. If the president can no longer serve, who becomes president?

4. Under our constitution, some powers belong to the federal government. What is one power of the government?

5. What is the political party of the president now?

6. What ocean is on the east coast of the United States?

Wife was able to answer the first 6 questions correct, so no additional questions were asked.

Reading and  Writing test:

Read:

When is Columbus Day?

Write:

Columbus day is in October.

Test was finished and next was the N400 information.

He was interested in the trip that we did, and wanted specific dates and explanations. I mean come on who remember exact days for trips done 3 years ago. Anyway, wife said I do not remember exact dates but was able to tell Month and year and what the trips were about. That seems to have satisfied the officer.

Officer quickly went through the NO questions (he skipped some as they were not relevant to my wife).

Officer went through the yes questions quickly.

The officer never asked my wife to explain any of the questions.

Wife signed the documents.

Officer said congratulations, I have approved your application. He also said, that she will not receive the 10 year green card even though the I751 application is approved. The Oath ceremony will be scheduled within 30 days.

Wife asked will you not interview my husband, he said there is no need. You are good to go.

A few more days and our ordeal is over.....

Thank you all for the help for each step and I wish everyone a good luck.

Best Regards
Jonny

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi guys

My green card expired and the extension letter too expired last September so I called the USCISand they called me back after 11days and scheduled appointment for infopass i went today and the stamped the I551 on my passport valid for one year 

Is that mean I have to wait another year for the interview it been already 22 months 😪 😢 

Timeline
On 10/29/2020 at 8:39 PM, amarsolo said:

Hi guys

My green card expired and the extension letter too expired last September so I called the USCISand they called me back after 11days and scheduled appointment for infopass i went today and the stamped the I551 on my passport valid for one year 

Is that mean I have to wait another year for the interview it been already 22 months 😪 😢 

No.  One year is the standard duration of that stamp.  I got a stamp on Sept 15, and then a few days later got a letter in the mail for my interview on October 8. 

Have you tried to open a service request for outside of normal processing times?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

Our interview was today. The IO was polite but distant. We both got called in separately for an absolute grilling for 30 minutes each. We had to go through 16 years of history, most of the questions circulated around our lives between 2004-2014, which wasn't at all what we had prepare for. We were ready to talk about our comingling after marriage, hah. 

Questions asked included how we met, where we were living when we met, how did we know we were attracted to each other (we were gay kids, need I really explain more?), when did we meet face to face, what did we do during that first visit (that was 10 years ago, we both had a different recollection of it, remembering almost entirely different things! Ugh!!), who proposed, when and where (we both misremembered this part), where did we buy wedding dresses (I could only remember where I got mine), who was there for the legal wedding (my wife was asked why her parents weren't there for the legal marriage. Need I reiterate we are gay and not all families like or actively support that? Her parents are politely indifferent, so we had dear friends witness instead), why did we marry so quickly and without ceremony, who planned the wedding we had later, why we don't have a shared checking account (normal in my country that spouses have separate accounts but all finances are shared regardless, she didn't seem to like that), are we saving to buy property, where are we thinking of buying property, what is our landlady' s name, why don't we have a new lease agreement (because we live at the same place still and haven't moved?), why did I buy my dog alone (the year was 2009 and I was living in my country and we weren't even engaged yet?? Like how is this a question?), who takes care of the dog, how many siblings does my wife have, have I met them, what are their names and where do they live, when did my wife graduate, what did she study, where does she work, what is her salary, same questions about myself, when did we last travel, where did we travel an d finally what did we do for last Christmas. 

There were probably more questions but honestly I was so emotionally exhausted by the whole thing that I just can't remember. We weren't able to answer all questions exactly the same because we had different recollections of events or just didn't word things alike, and I started to panic after the interview (interrogation more like!) went on for so long and so intensely. 

No decision, told to expect a decision to be mailed to us in 2 months. 

Met: June 2004

Face-to-Face 1st time: June 2010

I moved to the US: August 2015

Spoiler

K-1

07/19/14 Sent I-129F

07/29/14 NOA1 (According to USCIS Status Check)

08/06/14 NOA1 Hardcopy 

08/22/14 Officially engaged with a ring, haha!

10/30/14 NOA2

12/01/14 Packet 3

01/19/15 Physical Exam

03/09/15 Interview & Approved

LAX 08/09/15 POE

Spoiler

AOS

09/07/2015 Married 

10/16/15 AOS/EAD/AP sent

11/17/15 Biometrics

01/08/2016 EAD/AP received 

07/05/16 SR: "USCIS anticipates delay"

One year anniversary from application...

10/21/16 EAD/AP renewal

11/03/16 SR: no response. Congresswoman SR 10/27/16, Application is in Florida (!?)

11/18/16 walk-in 11/09/16 EAD Biometrics

11/10/16 RFE: Expired I-693 Medical exam and vaccinations (day 391)

11/17/16 RFE response: (1-day priority with signature, delivered but signature waived)

Tier 2 SR: 12/21/16´-- "Case pending decision" (Los Angeles Office should not have responded, file is not with them)

01/13/2017 Infopass:  -- "You probably have nothing to worry about. Your case is in Arizona. Previous SR wrongly responded, new SR to the right office."

01/17/17 InfoPass SR: -- "Pending. We expect decision or other notice in 45 days." Congresswoman's office confirms RFE response has been received.

01/27/17  GC Approved (amid Tr$mp EO chaos)

02/03/17 Card in hand (445 days, non-complicated case (no previous visas, no overstay, no divorces, not high fraud country, no co-sponsor. Just unlucky.))

ROC

01/07/19 Sent I-751

01/11/19 Text notification for case received with receipt #

03/26/19 Received NOA/GC 18-month Extension letter

05/03/19 Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Ninahi said:

Our interview was today. The IO was polite but distant. We both got called in separately for an absolute grilling for 30 minutes each. We had to go through 16 years of history, most of the questions circulated around our lives between 2004-2014, which wasn't at all what we had prepare for. We were ready to talk about our comingling after marriage, hah. 

Questions asked included how we met, where we were living when we met, how did we know we were attracted to each other (we were gay kids, need I really explain more?), when did we meet face to face, what did we do during that first visit (that was 10 years ago, we both had a different recollection of it, remembering almost entirely different things! Ugh!!), who proposed, when and where (we both misremembered this part), where did we buy wedding dresses (I could only remember where I got mine), who was there for the legal wedding (my wife was asked why her parents weren't there for the legal marriage. Need I reiterate we are gay and not all families like or actively support that? Her parents are politely indifferent, so we had dear friends witness instead), why did we marry so quickly and without ceremony, who planned the wedding we had later, why we don't have a shared checking account (normal in my country that spouses have separate accounts but all finances are shared regardless, she didn't seem to like that), are we saving to buy property, where are we thinking of buying property, what is our landlady' s name, why don't we have a new lease agreement (because we live at the same place still and haven't moved?), why did I buy my dog alone (the year was 2009 and I was living in my country and we weren't even engaged yet?? Like how is this a question?), who takes care of the dog, how many siblings does my wife have, have I met them, what are their names and where do they live, when did my wife graduate, what did she study, where does she work, what is her salary, same questions about myself, when did we last travel, where did we travel an d finally what did we do for last Christmas. 

There were probably more questions but honestly I was so emotionally exhausted by the whole thing that I just can't remember. We weren't able to answer all questions exactly the same because we had different recollections of events or just didn't word things alike, and I started to panic after the interview (interrogation more like!) went on for so long and so intensely. 

No decision, told to expect a decision to be mailed to us in 2 months. 

I'm in the same boat. our interview was kind of like yours it was more like an interrogation. We keep our financials separate too. We have a joint account but my wife's (USC) wanted to keep our financials separate since we have established our own financial habits/money management. They haven't made a decision yet. Today I had my N400 interview it was really smooth but the interviewer couldn't approve at the spot because of our pending I751. He walked to back office and took my I751 file. He went through our file and asked some questions. In the end of the interview he told me we would most likely be approved for I751. After 3-4 hours of my interview my N400 case was changed to "We  placed you in line for your oath ceremony and will send you a notice for Receipt Number XXXXXX......... Waiting patiently for the approval of I751 and Oath Ceremony date.. 

Good luck everyone.

WAC Filer
01/30/2019 Applied for I751

05/03/2019 I751 Biometrics done

10/25/2019 I751 was transferred 

10/29/2019 I751 was transferred 

01/30/2020 Applied for N400 Electronically

02/14/2020 I751 was transferred to NBC 

02/18/2020 N400 Biometrics done 

02/28/2020 I751 interview scheduled
03/31/2020 I751 interview canceled 
04/01/2020 I751 interview ready to be scheduled
07/23/2020 I751 was transferred

Filed: IR-5 Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My I-751 was filed in Jan 2019 to Texas, was transferred to NBC from Jan 2020 right after I filed N-400 in Jan 2020. Since then, there's no further update. 

my N-400 estimated completion is Jan 2021. The estimate for the next update went to 0 day yesterday then now it said your case takes longer than expected >,< 

My local office is Atlanta. 

Anyone in the same boat??? I greatly regretted that I filed N-400 while I-751 is pending. 

So tired physically and mentally :(( 

I will need another stamp real soon for my driver license :( 

One more thing, I tried to call USCIS many times but never be able to speak with any real person rgds my case. Please advise meeeee, 

Thanks alot, friends 

Timeline

Its absolutely ridiculous how one earth Albany, NY field office is not scheduling my N400 interview? I thought Upstate NY USCIS offices would not have that much backlog but boys these ******* making it so difficult for immigrants. People who filed after me getting their cases approved right and left and here I'm stuck with both I751 and N400 since Jan,2019 and Jan,2020 respectively. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
8 hours ago, Cryssiekins said:

No.  One year is the standard duration of that stamp.  I got a stamp on Sept 15, and then a few days later got a letter in the mail for my interview on October 8. 

Have you tried to open a service request for outside of normal processing times?

Ooh yeah I did places service request online last September and they said Expect a reply by October 8 and stile nothing yet

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

I take back my fire and brimstone. We were approved this morning and status changed to New Card is Being Produced, WAC case number. Good luck to everyone else in their journey, trust there will be light at the end of the tunnel! 🙏

Met: June 2004

Face-to-Face 1st time: June 2010

I moved to the US: August 2015

Spoiler

K-1

07/19/14 Sent I-129F

07/29/14 NOA1 (According to USCIS Status Check)

08/06/14 NOA1 Hardcopy 

08/22/14 Officially engaged with a ring, haha!

10/30/14 NOA2

12/01/14 Packet 3

01/19/15 Physical Exam

03/09/15 Interview & Approved

LAX 08/09/15 POE

Spoiler

AOS

09/07/2015 Married 

10/16/15 AOS/EAD/AP sent

11/17/15 Biometrics

01/08/2016 EAD/AP received 

07/05/16 SR: "USCIS anticipates delay"

One year anniversary from application...

10/21/16 EAD/AP renewal

11/03/16 SR: no response. Congresswoman SR 10/27/16, Application is in Florida (!?)

11/18/16 walk-in 11/09/16 EAD Biometrics

11/10/16 RFE: Expired I-693 Medical exam and vaccinations (day 391)

11/17/16 RFE response: (1-day priority with signature, delivered but signature waived)

Tier 2 SR: 12/21/16´-- "Case pending decision" (Los Angeles Office should not have responded, file is not with them)

01/13/2017 Infopass:  -- "You probably have nothing to worry about. Your case is in Arizona. Previous SR wrongly responded, new SR to the right office."

01/17/17 InfoPass SR: -- "Pending. We expect decision or other notice in 45 days." Congresswoman's office confirms RFE response has been received.

01/27/17  GC Approved (amid Tr$mp EO chaos)

02/03/17 Card in hand (445 days, non-complicated case (no previous visas, no overstay, no divorces, not high fraud country, no co-sponsor. Just unlucky.))

ROC

01/07/19 Sent I-751

01/11/19 Text notification for case received with receipt #

03/26/19 Received NOA/GC 18-month Extension letter

05/03/19 Biometrics

Timeline
On 11/2/2020 at 7:14 PM, Charming12 said:

Its absolutely ridiculous how one earth Albany, NY field office is not scheduling my N400 interview? I thought Upstate NY USCIS offices would not have that much backlog but boys these ******* making it so difficult for immigrants. People who filed after me getting their cases approved right and left and here I'm stuck with both I751 and N400 since Jan,2019 and Jan,2020 respectively. 

Have you tried calling for an infopass for a stamp?  When the person who put the stamp in my passport looked up my file, she was like “oh, yep, looks like it’s just sitting here” and it was a few days later that they scheduled me.  No way Albany is that far behind.  

Open a service request online too (at least for the 751).  It’s so infuriating that you’re coming up on 2 years!!

Timeline
19 hours ago, Cryssiekins said:

Have you tried calling for an infopass for a stamp?  When the person who put the stamp in my passport looked up my file, she was like “oh, yep, looks like it’s just sitting here” and it was a few days later that they scheduled me.  No way Albany is that far behind.  

Open a service request online too (at least for the 751).  It’s so infuriating that you’re coming up on 2 years!!

I had a info pass appointment back in July, 2020 when I had to stamp my passport for extension. The Officer was kinda rude and when I asked him about the tentative schedule for my 751/N400 interview to which he responded that they would send me interview notice when the time comes!I just noticed on USCIS office that Albany field office are relocating to new office from 5-11 Nov which would definitely add up more backlog and more justification for their utter failure. Now that the holiday season is coming up, I don't see they would schedule my interview anytime soon!

Edited by Charming12

Timeline
19 hours ago, Cryssiekins said:

how do I open service request online??

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.