Jump to content

13 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

So I know we have to show proof of residency here in US now that we are married, but I am wondering how to do that? We do live together. My landlord told me he cannot put my husband on the lease since he is not working and cannot provide any income documents. All our bills are in my name as well. So how can we show proof of residency for him if he's not on the lease and we have no shared bills or none of the bills are in his name at the moment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You do not need proof of residency, you do need proof of relationship 

marriage certificate

shared health insurance

shared bank account 

perhaps even a holiday card addressed to the both of you


Spoiler

 

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SPaul said:

Hi,

 

So I know we have to show proof of residency here in US now that we are married, but I am wondering how to do that? We do live together. My landlord told me he cannot put my husband on the lease since he is not working and cannot provide any income documents. All our bills are in my name as well. So how can we show proof of residency for him if he's not on the lease and we have no shared bills or none of the bills are in his name at the moment?

you can call up all the utility companies and have your husband added to those account, I would also get your landlord to provide a written statement as to why he is not allowing your husband to be added to the rental contract.

 

I have a landlord who added my husband and he wasn't even in the USA to sign they used docusign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

you can call up all the utility companies and have your husband added to those account, I would also get your landlord to provide a written statement as to why he is not allowing your husband to be added to the rental contract.

 

I have a landlord who added my husband and he wasn't even in the USA to sign they used docusign.

Oh okay. Thank you

Yeah he told me he can't add him to the lease as yet because he had no verifiable income, so technically it's just me responsible for the apartment. Or he would add him as 'john doe'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SPaul said:

Oh okay. Thank you

Yeah he told me he can't add him to the lease as yet because he had no verifiable income, so technically it's just me responsible for the apartment. Or he would add him as 'john doe'

that is rough, other then the utility if you need other evidence is to make a living will together with the joint address, updating him on your heath insurance, adding him to life insurance as beneficiary, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

that is rough, other then the utility if you need other evidence is to make a living will together with the joint address, updating him on your heath insurance, adding him to life insurance as beneficiary, 

Yes, okay. Thank you I will start with adding him to the utility bill and setting up our joint bank account and other things like that. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Kastrs said:

You do not need proof of residency, you do need proof of relationship 

That is technically true, although shared residency is important evidence for a bona fide marital relationship.  And failure to establish shared residency would raise suspicion, e.g., when your and your spouse's IDs show different addresses. 

 

My interview invitation lists the following as suitable relationship evidence: 

  • Tax returns
  • Bank statements
  • Insurance documents (car, life, health)
  • Property documents (car, house, etc.)
  • Rental agreements
  • Utility bills
  • Credit cards
  • Contracts
  • Leases
  • Photos
  • Correspondence
  • Any other documents you feel may substantiate your relationship
Edited by RLA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RLA said:

That is technically true, although shared residency is important evidence for a bona fide marital relationship.  And failure to establish shared residency would raise suspicion, e.g., when your and your spouse's IDs show different addresses. 

 

My interview invitation lists the following as suitable relationship evidence: 

  • Tax returns
  • Bank statements
  • Insurance documents (car, life, health)
  • Property documents (car, house, etc.)
  • Rental agreements
  • Utility bills
  • Credit cards
  • Contracts
  • Leases
  • Photos
  • Correspondence
  • Any other documents you feel may substantiate your relationship

Okay thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SPaul said:

Okay thank you

Some other things to throw in there in a pinch, on top of adding him to all of your bills:

 

- cell phone bill 

- authorized user on your credit cards (will also help build up credit, requires SSN) 

- shared memberships like Costco 

- insurance documents (not just medical, but life insurance, pet insurance, etc.) 

- any 401k/benefits where he's the beneficiary 

- USPS Informed Delivery for both of you at the same address 

- if he has a valid driver's license (even from another country), add him as a second driver to your auto insurance if you drive 

- letter from your landlord that he's cohabitating with you and that the landlord is aware (others touched on this) 

- affidavits from friends or relatives that you live together merrily 

- even some silly things if it's looking thin--a library card in his name and address, a Starbucks gift card to your address that he uses, etc 


Adjusting from TN to GC as spouse of USC

2015-07-24: TN received at CBP

2015-11-23: TN received at CBP - employer change

2017-06-12: Married

2017-08-15: First child

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-03: NOA1 for I-485, I-130, and I-765

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-07-25: Biometrics review completed

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-08-31: Request for additional information for EAD expedite mailed by USCIS

2018-09-07: Request for additional information for EAD expedite received in the mail

2018-09-07: Additional information for EAD expedite faxed to USCIS

2018-09-10: Mailed I-131 to USCIS

2018-09-14: EAD approved

2018-09-18: EAD approval notice received in the mail 

2018-09-18: EAD card was mailed 

2018-09-20: NOA1 for I-131

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - approved 

2018-12-11: Card is being produced 

2018-12-13: Card was mailed 

2018-12-18: Card received in the mail

------------------

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expires 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, eckoin said:

Some other things to throw in there in a pinch, on top of adding him to all of your bills:

 

- cell phone bill 

- authorized user on your credit cards (will also help build up credit, requires SSN) 

- shared memberships like Costco 

- insurance documents (not just medical, but life insurance, pet insurance, etc.) 

- any 401k/benefits where he's the beneficiary 

- USPS Informed Delivery for both of you at the same address 

- if he has a valid driver's license (even from another country), add him as a second driver to your auto insurance if you drive 

- letter from your landlord that he's cohabitating with you and that the landlord is aware (others touched on this) 

- affidavits from friends or relatives that you live together merrily 

- even some silly things if it's looking thin--a library card in his name and address, a Starbucks gift card to your address that he uses, etc 

Oh great. Thank you for these ideas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could ask your LL if he can write you a letter explaining that he is your LL at X address and he is giving permission for your husband to live at that address with you. You can also establish residence by receiving mail at that address over time. I would shoot for both of these, but failing that all of the other options listed should work too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just had our interview at Louisville KY on Friday. 

 

When the IO asked for proof we live together, I showed her a document from work with my wife and her daughters added to my insurance. She didn’t take it. I had 2 medical bills for the youngest daughter addressed to my home. That was perfect for her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×