2,915 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
2 hours ago, namastenyc said:

I don't think this is correct. For those in need, who are in a vulnerable economic/financial situation, they have no other options. A shelter not only provides a roof over your head but also provides counselling and daycare services for clients in need while they get back on their feet. I have heard of attorneys filing for 1-360, i-485, i-765 & I-131 concurrently for their clients while they are in shelter. Once they get their EAD card, they get a job  and earn a steady paycheck - they move out of the shelter when their financial situation improves. Housing gives you temporary support to enable you to focus on other things, like employment and children. They cannot use it against you, especially if you are economically/financially vulnerable, cannot live in the same place as your abusive partner esp if you have kids, or are simply waiting for a decision to be made on your application.

She is referencing the issue of being denied because of being a public charge, that is a valid concern because it is a reason a visa/green card can be denied.  At this time with the current administration, it has been discussed that using any public assistance will be an automatic denial of immigration petition.  However, this is not in effect at this time.  That does not mean it will not change.  

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/public-charge

Edited by Pinkrlion

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Hello everyone! Good news! After 217 days (filed Aug 7,2018) , finally got an update from my EAD renewal. Contacted Congresswoman and Ombudsman, USCIS just denied my application to expedite EAD. I just called the senator last week and I think it was a big help. They just inquired why is my case taking so long.  I applied with I131 but didn’t get any update for that, do you guys think i will receive both or just the EAD? Thank you for everyone who helped me with my questions before! So for anyone who’s already out of processing time, I suggest to contact your senator. I really feel so relieved! I will keep on praying for you guys to receive yours soon! God bless us all! 🙏

22E8AB05-D301-4CA3-B98A-43CF377502B4.jpeg

2 minutes ago, MGJ_NY said:

Hello everyone! Good news! After 217 days (filed Aug 7,2018) , finally got an update from my EAD renewal. Contacted Congresswoman and Ombudsman, USCIS just denied my application to expedite EAD. I just called the senator last week and I think it was a big help. They just inquired why is my case taking so long.  I applied with I131 but didn’t get any update for that, do you guys think i will receive both or just the EAD? Thank you for everyone who helped me with my questions before! So for anyone who’s already out of processing time, I suggest to contact your senator. I really feel so relieved! I will keep on praying for you guys to receive yours soon! God bless us all! 🙏

Congratulations!!!! Yes it usually comes as a COMBO CARD even though I-131 status online does not change... Please keep us update when card is on hand, to see when it expired... 

Edited by FeDaniela
missing information

5 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

She is referencing the issue of being denied because of being a public charge, that is a valid concern because it is a reason a visa/green card can be denied.  At this time with the current administration, it has been discussed that using any public assistance will be an automatic denial of immigration petition.  However, this is not in effect at this time.  That does not mean it will not change.  

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/public-charge

Oh no. I'm sorry. I was not aware. But, as with anything, I would say seek a 2nd opinion. I did not live in shelter but I've heard of people who got their I-360 approved by establishing a valid basis to proceed regardless. Find a good attorney with lots of experience. Perhaps Sandra can helps you. 

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
10 hours ago, HolaBola31 said:

Hey guys!

I enrolled in a housing program because I have no place to live.

But immigration attorney said it.could affect on my immigration process.

That USCIS can deny my application because I’m using this program l.

Can you tell is that true?

Who had faced with it?

Thank you!

At this time approved VAWA petitions are exempt from public charge for housing benefits, food stamps, medicaid.  I believe that receiving the cash assistance will be an issue.  

Edited by Pinkrlion

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

4 minutes ago, FeDaniela said:

Which congressman did you contact ??? how was the process

I went to the one in my district (Queens, NY) which is Rep. Grace Meng. I just filled up a privacy form, gave them copies of my I765 and I131 receipts. Also copies of my bank statement, hosp bill and maxed out credit card statement. They sent it on the same day I went there and USCIS responded after 2 weeks. 

5 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

At this time approved VAWA petitions are exempt from public charge.

Hi @Pinkrlion & @gur, did you both find out about your recent I-360 approval shortly after you received your c31 basec EAD card? Normally, do folks receive this notice within 3-4 weeks of getting their c31 based EAD card in the mail? Please kindly do let me know. Thanks! 

4 minutes ago, MGJ_NY said:

I went to the one in my district (Queens, NY) which is Rep. Grace Meng. I just filled up a privacy form, gave them copies of my I765 and I131 receipts. Also copies of my bank statement, hosp bill and maxed out credit card statement. They sent it on the same day I went there and USCIS responded after 2 weeks. 

Congrats! This rep deserves to be be re-elected, she's on top of her game! Happy for you! 

26 minutes ago, MGJ_NY said:

Congrats! :)

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, namastenyc said:

I don't think this is correct. For those in need, who are in a vulnerable economic/financial situation, they have no other options. A shelter not only provides a roof over your head but also provides counselling and daycare services for clients in need while they get back on their feet. I have heard of attorneys filing for 1-360, i-485, i-765 & I-131 concurrently for their clients while they are in shelter. Once they get their EAD card, they get a job  and earn a steady paycheck - they move out of the shelter when their financial situation improves. Housing gives you temporary support to enable you to focus on other things, like employment and children. They cannot use it against you, especially if you are economically/financially vulnerable, cannot live in the same place as your abusive partner esp if you have kids, or are simply waiting for a decision to be made on your application.

She is not talking about  shelter. Housing program is about affordables houses throughout programs where the person will pay very little to live.The DHS did not issue a final rule yet regarding public charge for those using housing program, that being said USCIS will continue to apply the current public charge policy.If the new rule is approved then public housing will be considered public charge.

Edited by sandranj

1 minute ago, sandranj said:

She is talking about a housing program, housing program is not a shelter. Housing program is about affordables housing programs throughout the City paying very little.The DHS did not issue a final rule yet regarding public charge for those using housing program, that being said USCIS will continue to apply the current public charge policy.if the new rule is approved then public housing will be considered public charge.

oh sorry, now, I understand. Thanks! 

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, shayona said:

HI Sandra

Can you please answer my previous post ? I received RFE on 4th Dec 2018, answered it on 4th Jan 2019. It's more than 90 days passed submitting RFE documents to USCIS but no online update yet about receiving my RFE papers.  Can you please answer my query ? Anyone else has he same experiece like mine ? 

There is no specific time that USCIS must adjudicate a  VAWA case after receiving the RFE answer. You should contact your compress person if you don't get a decision within 180 days.

Filed: Other Country: Indonesia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, sandranj said:

She is not talking about  shelter. Housing program is about affordables houses throughout programs where the person will pay very little to live.The DHS did not issue a final rule yet regarding public charge for those using housing program, that being said USCIS will continue to apply the current public charge policy.If the new rule is approved then public housing will be considered public charge.

I will be going for my interview and also getting food stamp so is it a public charge as someone sent the link that presently it does not apply on vawa  petitioner...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.