Dashinka

Harvard grad student told to move out after roommates find her legally owned firearms 'uncomfortable'

87 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

The question is does she feel comfortable living with a bunch of control freaks who go through her private property when she is gone? Sounds like these people are mentally ill and she is better off moving out now rather than later.

Attempting to judge people's mental state from a news article that leaves out half of the facts is not really rational. While I don't like the way either side went about this, you ultimately can't force people to live in a situation they don't want to be in, and especially so when one side or the other side has the option to leave the tenancy.

It looks like ms Pirnie agreed to move out then changed her mind. Then she agreed to mediation but doesn't like any of the options presented by that either. Moving will cost her, but staying will likely cost more. I think the conclusion is not hard to predict.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

3 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

If she was deemed by law enforecement to “legally possess the firearms”, that means she either has a CCW or a LTC, one of which is required even of out-of-state residents.  Even if she possesses an Alabama CCW permit, it is of no good to her in MA, because MA honors reciprocity with no one.  

There is no way an eviction would stand up in court.  If she agreed to go to keep from being saddled with $6000 in rent, I can understand that.  But she may be able to sue for damages and mental anguish from the stress of having to find a new home in the middle of school.  Poor girl.

It's not an eviction. She has the option to leave, if not the other tenants have the option to leave. Or she can keep the firearm(s) secured and everyone can stay.

Edited by Steeleballz

Filed: Timeline
2 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

It's not an eviction. She has the option to leave, if not the other tenants have the option to leave. Or she can keep the firearm(s) secured and everyone can stay.

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification.  I thought I read the property manager was forcing her out.

9 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification.  I thought I read the property manager was forcing her out.

I think if it was a landlord - tenant dispute, that could happen. From what is says, It looks like a tenant dispute and they asked for mediation, but there was no violation of the rental agreement. I think mediation is often a standard clause in rental agreements with co-tenants. I'm sure the landlord didn't even want to get involved.

It's possible the rental agreement could prohibit firearms on the property. I don't think that was the case here, but it is up to the property owner.

Edited by Steeleballz

8 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Attempting to judge people's mental state from a news article that leaves out half of the facts is not really rational. While I don't like the way either side went about this, you ultimately can't force people to live in a situation they don't want to be in, and especially so when one side or the other side has the option to leave the tenancy.

It looks like ms Pirnie agreed to move out then changed her mind. Then she agreed to mediation but doesn't like any of the options presented by that either. Moving will cost her, but staying will likely cost more. I think the conclusion is not hard to predict.

"When I asked them why they were in my room to begin with, they each came up with completely contradicting stories (none of which made any sense), but one comment struck me in particular: ‘We saw that you had a MAGA hat and, come on, you're from Alabama… so we just kind of assumed that you had something,'” she said.

“I asked why they didn't just call me and ask me before intruding. One of the girls responded that fear took over her body and she felt compelled to search my room until she found proof. … I cannot make this up.”

If that's not mental illness I don't know what is.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

3 hours ago, jg121783 said:

"When I asked them why they were in my room to begin with, they each came up with completely contradicting stories (none of which made any sense), but one comment struck me in particular: ‘We saw that you had a MAGA hat and, come on, you're from Alabama… so we just kind of assumed that you had something,'” she said.

“I asked why they didn't just call me and ask me before intruding. One of the girls responded that fear took over her body and she felt compelled to search my room until she found proof. … I cannot make this up.”

You don’t. 

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

4 hours ago, jg121783 said:

50 minutes ago, spookyturtle said:

You don’t. 

You beat me to it :)

58 minutes ago, spookyturtle said:

You don’t. 

8 minutes ago, bcking said:

You beat me to it :)

So fearing someone because of a hat they wear and where they are from to the point you are willing to violate their privacy and rummage through their private property is not mental illness?

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

28 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

So fearing someone because of a hat they wear and where they are from to the point you are willing to violate their privacy and rummage through their private property is not mental illness?

Then using your rationale,  blaming the Left, the Democrats, Obama and Hillary for everything would also qualify. 

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Obviously they need professional help, I would not want to diagnose, but breaking into someones property because of their hat and where they are from suggests serious issues.

10 minutes ago, spookyturtle said:

Then using your rationale,  blaming the Left, the Democrats, Obama and Hillary for everything would also qualify. 

Could you clarify which Hillary, we are up to 4.0.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

12 minutes ago, spookyturtle said:

if he doesn't agree I would. I don't think it's a mental illness.

I do however believe it's narcissistic of the roommates to have acted in such a manner without discussion. Vigilantes act on supposition not alleged educated students. 

If I found a BLM hat or Gay Pride hat, would I be entitled to such behavior as the roommates demonstrated? If it had been anything but gun rights, the left would be up in arms over the transgression. Make it an illegal alien, ethnic minority, a religious minority then it becomes a crusade. By all accounts she had done nothing illegal but was violated by using profiling tactics

7 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

if he doesn't agree I would. I don't think it's a mental illness.

I do however believe it's narcissistic of the roommates to have acted in such a manner without discussion. Vigilantes act on supposition not alleged educated students. 

If I found a BLM hat or Gay Pride hat, would I be entitled to such behavior as the roommates demonstrated? If it had been anything but gun rights, the left would be up in arms over the transgression. Make it an illegal alien, ethnic minority, a religious minority then it becomes a crusade. By all accounts she had done nothing illegal but was violated by using profiling tactics

The roommates behavior was wrong. And there you go with the Left. 

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
48 minutes ago, spookyturtle said:

The roommates behavior was wrong. And there you go with the Left. 

So which side of the political spectrum consistently touts gun control at every chance.  It is not a giant leap to see that this woman was profiled by her roommates politically.  Now of course we do not know the political stance of these roommates, but since this is an opinion forum we can certainly guess.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not really a guess, 3.0?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

43 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

So which side of the political spectrum consistently touts gun control at every chance.  It is not a giant leap to see that this woman was profiled by her roommates politically.  Now of course we do not know the political stance of these roommates, but since this is an opinion forum we can certainly guess.

You guys do it with every subject. 

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015