vinnie&andy

MARRYING OR SOCIAL SECURITY FIRST?

22 posts in this topic

Hi! I'm traveling to the USA tomorrow with my K1 visa and I would like to know if I should get married and then get my SSN. I am not gonna change my last name and we have read that in order to apply for SSN we have to wait 14 days after POE. We would like to get married ASAP to start the AOS process.

Any suggestions?
Thank you so much!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS (POTOMAC SERVICE CENTER)

12/21/2020: Mailed I-751 

12/30/2020: Case received YSC 

2/4/2021: Check cashed 

2/6/2021: NOA1 received 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

never mind i read all of that wrong.

Edited by debbiedoo

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
57 minutes ago, vinnie&andy said:

I would like to know if I should get married and then get my SSN. I am not gonna change my last name and we have read that in order to apply for SSN we have to wait 14 days after POE. 

It depend on the state. Some state require SSN to obtain the marriage license but I read somewhere

that they can simply provide copy of copy of their I-94, K1 visa and passport for the marriage license. So I guess it vary. 

Try looking into your state county's website for more info. 

Get the SSN first for least number of issues.  When you apply for SSN not in visa name you can have issues.  Change it later. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

~~moved to SSN from K1 process and peocedures~~

also you can apply for SSN right away due to electronic I-94. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

1 hour ago, carinap said:

It depend on the state. Some state require SSN to obtain the marriage license but I read somewhere

that they can simply provide copy of copy of their I-94, K1 visa and passport for the marriage license. So I guess it vary. 

Try looking into your state county's website for more info. 

We don't need a SSN for marrying. However, we don't know if we should wait 14 days after POE to get the SSN. I'm finding conflicting information on VJ. Some people say their system gets updated overnight and other people say 8 or 14 days.... 

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS (POTOMAC SERVICE CENTER)

12/21/2020: Mailed I-751 

12/30/2020: Case received YSC 

2/4/2021: Check cashed 

2/6/2021: NOA1 received 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'd say wait the 14 days then promptly apply as there may be setbacks that delay the processing (speaking from experience). You want to apply well before the I94 expires 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
8 hours ago, vinnie&andy said:

We don't need a SSN for marrying. However, we don't know if we should wait 14 days after POE to get the SSN. I'm finding conflicting information on VJ. Some people say their system gets updated overnight and other people say 8 or 14 days.... 

And sometimes it never gets updated 

My husband applied for his SSN two days after POE, and we got married 5 days after, on 10/21.  He finally just received his SS card by mail yesterday.  There was some delay in processing, but a phone call a couple of weeks ago fixed it.

11 hours ago, vinnie&andy said:

Hi! I'm traveling to the USA tomorrow with my K1 visa and I would like to know if I should get married and then get my SSN. I am not gonna change my last name and we have read that in order to apply for SSN we have to wait 14 days after POE. We would like to get married ASAP to start the AOS process.

Any suggestions?
Thank you so much!

Apply for SSN 14 days after entry and marry once you get it. This is the best way to have the least amount of issues. If you do this you’ll still have plenty of time to marry and apply for AOS.

we applied for my husbands SSN a few days after his arrival. We decided to have our ceremony on the date we chose (so his family could fly in) but we didn’t pick up the marriage license and fill it out with the pastor until after he recieved his SS card in the mail. It took about 4 weeks for his SS card to arrive after we applied (because although we had his I-94 with us when we applied they still had to manually verify him with USCIS since it wasn’t in the computer yet- hence why waiting 14 days is ideal).

K-1 VISA

I129F Sent: 08/23/2017

NOA 1: 08/25/2017

NOA 2: 02/27/2018

NVC Received: 03/14/2018

NVC Case #: 03/15/2018

NVC Left: 03/24/2018

Embassy Received: 03/28/2018

Medical: 05/08/2018

Interview: 05/15/2018 

Visa issued: 05/18/2018

Visa received: 05/23/2018 

AOS

POE: 06/07/2018

SSN applied: 06/12/2018

SSN received: 06/28/2018

AOS Sent: 07/27/2018

Biometrics: 08/23/2018

Interview: 10/30/2018

Approval: 10/30/2018 

NOA2: 11/05/2018

Green card Received: 11/08/2018

NO MORE USCIS UNTIL ROC!!!!!😁

1 minute ago, K & R said:

Apply for SSN 14 days after entry and marry once you get it. This is the best way to have the least amount of issues. If you do this you’ll still have plenty of time to marry and apply for AOS.

we applied for my husbands SSN a few days after his arrival. We decided to have our ceremony on the date we chose (so his family could fly in) but we didn’t pick up the marriage license and fill it out with the pastor until after he recieved his SS card in the mail. It took about 4 weeks for his SS card to arrive after we applied (because although we had his I-94 with us when we applied they still had to manually verify him with USCIS since it wasn’t in the computer yet- hence why waiting 14 days is ideal).

An SSN was not required for our marriage license, or for our marriage certificate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Apply for your SSN first. My fiancee and I arrived the 20th of this month, did Thanksgiving, and went yesterday the 23rd ( no one knew that Friday after Thanksgiving isn't a federal holiday. Was in and out in under 30 minutes following the guide on this site. We arrived thru POE at 9pm the 20th, and her information was in the system on the 23rd,  so no need to wait 14 days anymore. And that was after arriving right before the holiday. We came thru LAX, and applied in Las Vegas, NV for the SS card.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
9 hours ago, vinnie&andy said:

Ours was in the system 3 days after entering at night none the less. With a holiday in between, so I think it updates overnight. I was printing her I94 after we came thru CBP and were waiting for the bags from the airline. Literally the I94 was available to print less than 10 min after POE. I sent it via google cloud print to my printer at home in Las Vegas,NV, and it was waiting for me when I got there. and only a few days later no problems at the SS office, hopefully card shows up in 2-3 weeks. Came thru LAX POE

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
9 hours ago, vinnie&andy said:

It's overnight. It used to be up to 14 days. I would recommend just getting your SSN ASAP. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.