SPUSMC

Tourist Visa for my Ukrainian wife

27 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am a US Citizen married to a Ukrainian Citizen. We got married in Ukraine and our marriage certificate has been translated and notarized by the Ukrainian government. We are applying for a B2 tourist visa. We applied last year when I was just her boyfriend and they denied her visa due to us just dating. Will we have any troubles getting her a Visa now since we are married? We have been together for over 2 years now and I have been living in Ukraine as a resident for 2 years.

Thanks

There is a rather big chance the b2 visa will be denied. She must have very strong ties to her country to overcome the biggest reason to stay in the US - you.  😛

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

What has changed since she was last denied?  Being married to a US citizen does not help her get a B2 visa.  It actually makes it worse.

Edited by gregcrs2

Timeline
3 minutes ago, SPUSMC said:

She has a very good job making around 5000-7000 USD a month. Why would it make it more difficult. She is my wife and as my wife doesnt she have a right to go with me to America to visit? We dont want to stay as we have an apartment here, our vehicle is here.

How long has she had that large salary in Ukraine and is it all documented?  Sorry to say, but NO, she does not have a "right" to get a B2 visa just because she married a US citizen. 

Just now, gregcrs2 said:

How long has she had that large salary in Ukraine and is it all documented?  Sorry to say, but NO, she does not have a "right" to get a B2 visa just because she married a US citizen. 

I would say she has had that salary for around 8-9 months now. Bank records should show all of it. It doesnt make sense to me as to why they would be more inclined to deny it if we are married. Would going the route of a green card be better? Is there any other Visa that will be easier? We just want to visit family from time to time. I've had to visit home by myself the past few times and would really like to bring her along.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, SPUSMC said:

If not a b2 visa. What would be the best way to get her a visa to visit?

B2 is really the only way if she only wants to visit.  Each applicant is viewed as having immigrant intent.  

17 minutes ago, SPUSMC said:

She has a very good job making around 5000-7000 USD a month. Why would it make it more difficult. She is my wife and as my wife doesnt she have a right to go with me to America to visit? We dont want to stay as we have an apartment here, our vehicle is here.

Nope. She does not have that right. 

No one is entitled to a visa. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline
Just now, SPUSMC said:

I would say she has had that salary for around 8-9 months now. Bank records should show all of it. It doesnt make sense to me as to why they would be more inclined to deny it if we are married. Would going the route of a green card be better? Is there any other Visa that will be easier? We just want to visit family from time to time. I've had to visit home by myself the past few times and would really like to bring her along.

If she works for an international company that does business in the US, she may be able to get business visa to attend a business conference or training which would require an invitation or prepayment, or something like that.  Going the route for a green card takes a long time and is quite expensive just to use for a visit.  She would have to live in the USA more than in Ukraine.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So what is the plan, will you be moving?

As far as her job is concerned the details form part of the B2 application form.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

So what is the plan, will you be moving?

As far as her job is concerned the details form part of the B2 application form.

No our plans are to stay in Ukraine and raise a family in Ukraine. I have a great job here with a US salary. Just want to visit my family with her instead of alone every time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That helps, make sure that is made clear.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.