powerplyer

Normal for Consulate to call Spouses Neighbor

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Our interview is set for November 6th, 2018 in Mumbai consulate. On Nov 1st, 2018, my spouses neighbor, across the street, got a call asking about my spouses and step sons information. The caller ID was from the consulate number and the person asking the questions had a lot of information (DS260) verification related question. The consulate asked about my spouses parents name, how she became a widow and about my step son. The call lasted about 2min. We have no idea how they got the neighbors number. It is not listed in any of our paperwork. 

Is this normal process? Nobody on this forum has mentioned getting a verification calls. Should we be worried? Is this a bad/good sign? I front loaded the NVC package for Bonofide marriage. My income is over 5x the poverty line.

This has gotton us a little rattled and looking for similar experiences. 

It's not normal, but sometimes they do ask around to verify information. As long as nothing inconsistent was stated there so it shouldn't be an issue.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
58 minutes ago, powerplyer said:

Our interview is set for November 6th, 2018 in Mumbai consulate. On Nov 1st, 2018, my spouses neighbor, across the street, got a call asking about my spouses and step sons information. The caller ID was from the consulate number and the person asking the questions had a lot of information (DS260) verification related question. The consulate asked about my spouses parents name, how she became a widow and about my step son. The call lasted about 2min. We have no idea how they got the neighbors number. It is not listed in any of our paperwork. 

Is this normal process? Nobody on this forum has mentioned getting a verification calls. Should we be worried? Is this a bad/good sign? I front loaded the NVC package for Bonofide marriage. My income is over 5x the poverty line.

Could the caller be a scam? Why would immigration call the neighbor? What if the neighbor doesn't even know her?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

i dont even know my neighbors names. lol

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

17 minutes ago, Marriedforlove said:

Could the caller be a scam? Why would immigration call the neighbor? What if the neighbor doesn't even know her?

Can it? Absolutely. But did they ask for any information that was of value to a scammer? If not, then it likely wasn't a scammer.

To verify certain types of information to best of their ability.

Then they say they don't know the neighbor and move on...it's neither a positive nor negative if the individual doesn't have the information they're looking for.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

Thanks for all the quick replies. Our initial thought that it was a scammer, however the caller ID was that from the embassy. It was the main number from the embassy. It is India and all most neighbors know about each other especially life events. The questions were more verification questions from the DS260. Nothing major. 

I told my spouse just to be honest and forward during the interview. She is shaken by the event, and this just added to already nervous spouse.😊

It does appear that the phone call was out of the norm, which has me a bit worried, but our file is pretty stright forward. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
11 hours ago, powerplyer said:

Thanks for all the quick replies. Our initial thought that it was a scammer, however the caller ID was that from the embassy. It was the main number from the embassy. It is India and all most neighbors know about each other especially life events. The questions were more verification questions from the DS260. Nothing major. 

I told my spouse just to be honest and forward during the interview. She is shaken by the event, and this just added to already nervous spouse.😊

It does appear that the phone call was out of the norm, which has me a bit worried, but our file is pretty stright forward. 

Maybe that is why they chose to call you :) Your case is too normal :) 

I wouldn't worry 

Best of luck 

NOA1 New Site: March 6th, 2018

NOA2: Sept 12th, 2018

Case # available as well as case leaving NVC both on Oct 1st, 2018

Embassy received on Oct 2nd, 2018

Medical Appointment Oct 12th, 2018

Interview at Ankara Embassy on Oct 22nd, 2018 - APPROVED!

POE San Fransisco on Dec 1st, 2018

Married Dec 10th, 2018

NOA for I-485/765/131 Feb 1st, 2019

Interview for I-485 June 19th, 2019 - APPROVED! (Interview was before we received Work Auth Card!)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Consular Immigrant Visa Units have "investigators" and they DO investigate when they think it appropriate to do so.  So, it is not "routine" for each case but definitely "normal" as in part of their every day (not every case) procedures.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

21 hours ago, powerplyer said:

This is totally normal and its not scam ,they call sometime but not always and it always the case when they have some doubts about your relationship . And they get number through local agency in your area that could be police station in your area or any other local agencies that gathers all information about you based on your home address where do you live who live in neighborhood etc etc so very normal and i seen many cases like this so nothing to worry about as long as everything is legitimate all is good .It just one extra step in verification but nothing to worry about.  

Timeline

Thank you for the words of encouragement. A bit more information; I called the neighbor and he is currently applying for  B1 and B2. I think that is how they got his number. He said the conversation with the consulate was normal and in English. They asked how long my spouse lived in the same society. What are the name of her parents. They asked about my spouses late husband and why he passed away. They asked about my spouses sons name. They asked about my name. They asked how long we were married. Basic questions. The neighbor did mess up on how long we were married, but he was not invited to the wedding. He said 5-6 months, where it has been almost 12 months. It was only blood relatives and few members from my family. 

As some suggested on the fourm, I font loaded @ the NVC stage. Pictures about 150 pics, showed them 4 trips to India, affidavit's from both our uncles, joint bank and joint 2017 tax returns, phone logs, chat history and WA call history. 

I think the only red flag is that we did not change my step son's last name to my name. My wife changed her last name to mine, fairly quickly after the wedding. 

Thanks to this fourm, I feel a bit less worried. And in some aspect I look at this as a positive, where they feel more confident on a bonofide marriage after talking with our neighbor. May make the interview go smoothly. I hoping to share our joy on Nov 6th.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, powerplyer said:

Thank you for the words of encouragement. A bit more information; I called the neighbor and he is currently applying for  B1 and B2. I think that is how they got his number.

Maybe, but it is not difficult to get a phone number for a person at a given address, particularly if you are doing so in an official government capacity.  Of course the conversation would be "normal".  They asked questions and listened to the answers.  Whether to be concerned or not, only you can know.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to US Embassy and Consulate Discussion; topic is about this phase of the process and applicable to multiple visas.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

On 11/3/2018 at 9:44 PM, powerplyer said:

Thank you for the words of encouragement. A bit more information; I called the neighbor and he is currently applying for  B1 and B2. I think that is how they got his number. He said the conversation with the consulate was normal and in English. They asked how long my spouse lived in the same society. What are the name of her parents. They asked about my spouses late husband and why he passed away. They asked about my spouses sons name. They asked about my name. They asked how long we were married. Basic questions. The neighbor did mess up on how long we were married, but he was not invited to the wedding. He said 5-6 months, where it has been almost 12 months. It was only blood relatives and few members from my family. 

As some suggested on the fourm, I font loaded @ the NVC stage. Pictures about 150 pics, showed them 4 trips to India, affidavit's from both our uncles, joint bank and joint 2017 tax returns, phone logs, chat history and WA call history. 

I think the only red flag is that we did not change my step son's last name to my name. My wife changed her last name to mine, fairly quickly after the wedding. 

Thanks to this fourm, I feel a bit less worried. And in some aspect I look at this as a positive, where they feel more confident on a bonofide marriage after talking with our neighbor. May make the interview go smoothly. I hoping to share our joy on Nov 6th.

Its okay they don't have to be 100% correct ,I mean no one outside your family can answer 100% about you or your spouse or her family. They just do quick check just to confirm that you are actually married and somehow not related to each other by blood .As long as your neighbor answered that you guys are married and its bonafide , everything is good.

Edited by Mr & Mrs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.