DmytriiD

Work Authorization while on K-1 (before and after I-94 expires)

79 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Definitely not applicable to k1! Unfortunate they provided you guys with that.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, Alekezam said:

Not really, prior to making the inquiry I should have asked my brother about his experience in this similar situation. 

He misplaced his NOA2 and  despite not submitting it had no issues with the AOS process. His wife got her greencard and is happily living here with him now for over 5  years now. 

No doubt it's way better to have it and to submit it then not but if you run into a situation such as mine and you either never receive it or lose it, that's not enough to jack up the whole process. 

Also, here is a thread from the past that talks on the subject. 

So I respectfully disagree, my statement is not false. 

You say you like to go to the source directly and the only direct source I know of is uscis where the instructions clearly state noa2 is required. Not your brother and not another isolated example or two.

Of of course there are always exceptions to the rule and adjudicators are human and make mistakes and might have missed your brothers noa2 but it’s usually prudent to follow the instructions that are provided by uscis. 

Furthermore, just because it’s on the internet doesn’t make it true.  Let’s make sure people here don’t get bad advice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 hours ago, Alekezam said:

This is another instance of everyone saying something can't be done without providing any verifiable evidence of support aside from their opinion. 

Case in point. I was told you absolutely have to have an NOA2 hardcopy receipt or your can't proceed with AOS by so many on here....well guess what? I blindly listened without checking all the facts and ended up screwing myself over as an inquiry for a hardcopy of an NOA2 hardcopy resulted in my fiance getting her interview cancelled last minute and our case being recalled by the USCIS back to the US from the embassy all because of my inquiry only to find out you don't even need it. This added another an extra 2 months to our wait time when all was said and done. I had to cancel and rearrange all sorts of plans because of it. 

So, if the embassy gives a sheet of paper such as this one to you and it clearly states something that so many people apparently disagree with then what constitutes as an opinion and a fact. 

In my world, a fact is something that comes straight from the source. And I trust that over an opinion any day. i.e. If I ask someone what the price of a movie ticket is at a specific location and they tell me it's $20 but then go to the theater and they say it's $10....well guess what, I'm not going to argue with them and say it's $20. 

So if your letter says that you can potentially get a authorization to work at POE then ask when you arrive since it clearly states that in the letter you received. If at POE they say "no, we decide it's not in our best interest to grant you that or no, we don't do that anymore" then you have your answer and can report back to us. This gives us more hard evidence for these questions. 

I for one don't see any harm in asking. 

That's how you build facts, through experiences. 

No need to be confused, you are right in that there is that possibility if it clearly says so. 

even if this where still current...what employer is going to be found and he later hold your job till you get EAD? I am not trying to disuade you or anybody, but seems to me if they don't issue EAD in the 90 days, you are basically w/o a job again, if you had found one by the time you make POE

Edited by Alabamak1

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Everybody please disregard everything I have written. 

I am obviously wrong on every aspect. 

I thought I was providing useful information and advice but apparently I've only attracted confrontation so I'll just keep my thoughts to myself from here on out. 

Again, good luck to those of you who are still going through the process. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Alekezam said:

This is another instance of everyone saying something can't be done without providing any verifiable evidence of support aside from their opinion. 

Case in point. I was told you absolutely have to have an NOA2 hardcopy receipt or your can't proceed with AOS by so many on here....well guess what? I blindly listened without checking all the facts and ended up screwing myself over as an inquiry for a hardcopy of an NOA2 hardcopy resulted in my fiance getting her interview cancelled last minute and our case being recalled by the USCIS back to the US from the embassy all because of my inquiry only to find out you don't even need it. This added another an extra 2 months to our wait time when all was said and done. I had to cancel and rearrange all sorts of plans because of it. 

So, if the embassy gives a sheet of paper such as this one to you and it clearly states something that so many people apparently disagree with then what constitutes as an opinion and a fact. 

In my world, a fact is something that comes straight from the source. And I trust that over an opinion any day. i.e. If I ask someone what the price of a movie ticket is at a specific location and they tell me it's $20 but then go to the theater and they say it's $10....well guess what, I'm not going to argue with them and say it's $20. 

So if your letter says that you can potentially get a authorization to work at POE then ask when you arrive since it clearly states that in the letter you received. If at POE they say "no, we decide it's not in our best interest to grant you that or no, we don't do that anymore" then you have your answer and can report back to us. This gives us more hard evidence for these questions. 

No need to be confused, you are right in that there is that possibility if it clearly says so. 

I agree, OP I suggest you try it at POE and respond with results. 

You have this document which directly addresses the matter and the stance of the USCIS. 

AjIr9Cp.jpgVBcIOnI.giftCxpVPB.gif19B8PJM.gifWJvjtpL.gifv0iSLWp.gif

2079070924_Webp.net-resizeimage(3).png.40aa360e06b2e929a52d4af17362bc4a.png

jDSUBz2.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
5 hours ago, Alekezam said:

yeah I will for sure show them this paper and ask. why not...I also already saw many people here posting here not true information based only on their opinion.

For example like you cant come while k-1 is processing or like immigration officer can see you are processing for K1 while you entering using other visa types...that all is not true because I was entering the US many many times while K1 was processing and I also was entering because of my work...and my work include communication and paperwork with customs and immigration...and guess what I asked an officer in San Bernardino if you Sir can see I am processing for fiancee visa in your system while checking my passport. He said no. No such information provided to him...he can't know that. But like 99% of people here were saying reverse info like OMG they can see..you will not enter....or you will not get a visa while processing for K1. lol

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hi Community,

While filling for I-765 I found that I each k-1 visa holder authorized for work during 90 days on k-1 visa status.

I found this info in I-765 Instructions .pdf file downloaded from USCIS website.

Screenshot attached.

Please comment because I didn't know that.

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 10.21.51 AM.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

if im remembering right, its something like you technically CAN work for those 90 days but not beyond it. at that point, you should have gotten married and filed for AOS (and EAD/AP). once the initial 90 days is up you are technically out of status and can not work until you have EAD or AOS approved.

no employer would be likely to bring on someone for under 90 days of employment- it costs the employer too much money for such a short time frame.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Timeline
4 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

if im remembering right, its something like you technically CAN work for those 90 days but not beyond it. at that point, you should have gotten married and filed for AOS (and EAD/AP). once the initial 90 days is up you are technically out of status and can not work until you have EAD or AOS approved.

no employer would be likely to bring on someone for under 90 days of employment- it costs the employer too much money for such a short time frame.

Hi

Just got the additional question...

Am I applying under INA Section 245(i) or not?

Because I am confused what is that.....and so do I need to fill out Supplement A to the I-485?

Thank you.

Timeline
1 minute ago, DmytriiD said:

Hi

Just got the additional question...

Am I applying under INA Section 245(i) or not?

Because I am confused what is that.....and so do I need to fill out Supplement A to the I-485?

Thank you.

someone else may be better suited to answer those questions. I'm not familiar enough with those forms to know.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Timeline
7 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

someone else may be better suited to answer those questions. I'm not familiar enough with those forms to know.

okay, thank you :)

Timeline
2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

A K-1 holder is eligible to apply for an EAD. They are not authorized to work for an employer without an EAD (and they cannot meet the I-9 requirements without an EAD).

A K-1 holder can file an I-765 (with fee) to apply for an EAD. The expires at the end of their original 90 days from POE. The I-765 is currently taking ~3-6 months for approval. As such, it would be expired before you even get it.

No to 245(i).

Thanks a lot!

Timeline
10 minutes ago, geowrian said:

A K-1 holder is eligible to apply for an EAD. They are not authorized to work for an employer without an EAD (and they cannot meet the I-9 requirements without an EAD).

A K-1 holder can file an I-765 (with fee) to apply for an EAD. The EAD expires at the end of their original 90 days from POE. The I-765 is currently taking ~3-6 months for approval. As such, it would be expired before you even get it.

No to 245(i).

knew it was something kind of along those lines just wasnt quite sure lol

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

3 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

knew it was something kind of along those lines just wasnt quite sure lol

Back when the I-765 was taking ~30 days for approval, it kinda made sense for some people to do this as a stop-gap since they could get an EAD for the <=60 days left, and get an EAD based on a pending AOS with some days still left, so you wouldn't have a gap in employment.

But those days are gone and probably won't be back for some time.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.