Balamban

Current best way to call from America to Cell in Negros Oriental?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My sister-in-law has a child and frequently "the child needs hospital, loan me 10,000p."  Pneumonia, cough, rash--alien abduction, you name it...  I think it's the American ATM syndrome but my wife is compassionate and believes everything and wants me to pay...and pay.

My tactic is simple.  If the child is ill, I'll send some peso to a reputable clinic, she can take the child there and if the doctor says "hospital," fine, I'll send peso to the hospital.  But I don't intend to send the sister-in-law 10k peso at a time for ill-defined illness.  I suspect it goes like this: Child has cough, ask for 10k loan, child miraculously recovers, money spent on whatever.  I think this is a sort of normal tactic after all I'm American and everyone knows that I have thousands of hundred dollar bills under my pillow....

The question is: How can I call from America to the Phils (to a cell, and possibly a land line).  About 4 years ago there was a monthly plan where I could call a local number in America which could connect me with a local number in the Phils.  It worked ok (sometimes).  (But I've forgotten where that plan was purchased).

Can anyone please suggest how I can call the Phils, either such a plan, or perhaps a pre-paid card that isn't scamish?

Thanks

Edited by Balamban
voices in my head demanded editing

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Balamban said:

My sister-in-law has a child and frequently "the child needs hospital, loan me 10,000p."  Pneumonia, cough, rash--alien abduction, you name it...  I think it's the American ATM syndrome but my wife is compassionate and believes everything and wants me to pay...and pay.

My tactic is simple.  If the child is ill, I'll send some peso to a reputable clinic, she can take the child there and if the doctor says "hospital," fine, I'll send peso to the hospital.  But I don't intend to send the sister-in-law 10k peso at a time for ill-defined illness.  I suspect it goes like this: Child has cough, ask for 10k loan, child miraculously recovers, money spent on whatever.  I think this is a sort of normal tactic after all I'm American and everyone knows that I have thousands of hundred dollar bills under my pillow....

The question is: How can I call from America to the Phils (to a cell, and possibly a land line).  About 4 years ago there was a monthly plane where I could call a local number in America which could connect me with a local number in the Phils.  It worked ok (sometimes).  

Can anyone please suggest how I can call the Phils, either such a plan, or perhaps a pre-paid card that isn't scamish?

Thanks

A lot of pre-paid cards are okay, some have high connection rates of course and that will vary.

With Sprint service for my cell, I had a $5.00 a month plan that would allow me to call the Philippines (any number) for a small rate per minute. Might be something to check with your cell provider if they have a special plan for that.

For us while we were apart, and even now a days when I travel for work out of the country, we both have Iphones so we can facetime, Imessage, or even audio call for free over wifi. 

And definately understand the money thing. Since my husband has been here for almost two years people think he immediately has money to send home. They know he owns a car but doesn't understand the whole payment plan thing or the fact that just because he makes X amount of dollars a month, things also cost more here than there. A lot don't get that. So understand why you want to protect the money and make sure it only gets used for what it is intended for.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

I have Sprint international plan as well.  Reasonable rates both calling and messaging when I'm here or over there.  Data plan over there is useless.  Also, not sure if you can call via viber or skype to a landline.

Sorry to hear about the unlimited loans.  I have made it clear with my fiance on my willingness for support and what the guidelines are around it.  I will not be the cash cow to support the whole extended family.  It sounds as if you're good nature is being taken advantage of.  Maybe a discussion on boundaries of what you're willing to contribute and stick to it.  They got along without your support before you came into their lives, and I'm quite certain they will continue to get along on your limitations.  Good Luck!

x

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I use Rebtel to call the UK land lines, 1c a minute. They have a monthly plan, PI looks more expensive.

Lots of competing options.

The money thing is an extremely common subject on here, you will find thousands of similar posts. Begs the question what they did before your wallet became available?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good point by @Scott Br . Definately can look into Skype on your phone. I use that to call back home when out of the country on wifi to save cost of dealing with international roaming or if there is no service at all. Might be a good option also.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can try Viber, Whatsapp, Kakao or just talk through Facebook.  I dont mean to sound harsh but it seems like you are being taken advantage of.  There will ALWAYS be some sad story of "someone have sick", "house burn down", "brother need to fix papers to go abroad", etc.  ANYTHING to get a peso and it will NOT stop.  Just say NO!  I hope everything overall works out for you.

AOS Timeline (I-485, I-765, I-131)

12/28/2019:  Packages sent to USCIS via Fedex

12/30/2019:  USCIS received packages

1/08/2020:  NOA for all 3 applications

1/17/2020:  Received biometrics appt letter for the I-485 and I-765 (Code 3). 

1/31/2020:  Biometrics completed

2/20/2020:  RFE

6/15/2020:  Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview

6/15/2020:  I-765 (New Card is Being Produced)

6/30/2020:  Received Combo Card in the Mail

4/22/2021:  AOS Interview

4/26/2021:  AOS Approval

4/29/2021:  Permanent Resident Card received in the mail

It’s hard to just say no as providing support to family members is an expectation in many cases with PI. My wife did it before we married, and now we both do it. But be aware of how much, to who, and for what purposes...a possibly-uncomfortable conversation is needed to set the proper boundaries. And sometimes you may need to not send anything...always take care of your own finances before supporting others.

As Boiler implied, they had means to handle finances somehow before you met your loved ones. You aren’t a bank...AAS is real.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1st and foremost, absolutely require from any relative that you support directly or indirectly that they have PhilHealth.  No PhilHealth, No Support.  PhilHealth is a bargain, costs almost nothing.  It pays somewhere around 50% depending on what's going on.  It is their responsibility to send you on a monthly/quarterly/whatever basis a receipt.  No receipt, it doesn't matter if Aswang fly in from Iloilo, no support if no PhilHealth.  If her baby becomes sick because of it - its on her.  If I remember correctly, Philhealth is also available to legal immigrants as well . . .  Buy it.  She might have to stand in line to pay and get the receipt, too bad.  Thats the cost of support - period.  No negotiations, No BS.  If this is done, most everything is covered and she has automatic admission to any hospital (or so she should).

Mark

Edited by Mark and Rassel

Timeline
6 hours ago, Balamban said:

my wife is compassionate and believes everything and wants me to pay...and pay.

I'm sorry to be blunt but you have a wife problem. It's easy for her to just yes yes to her family because it is not her hard-earned money. You need to set boundaries and learn to say no.

6 hours ago, Balamban said:

My tactic is simple.  If the child is ill, I'll send some peso to a reputable clinic, she can take the child there and if the doctor says "hospital," fine, I'll send peso to the hospital. 

I've never heard of this payment method. I honestly don't think it exists in any Philippine hospitals much less in rural Philippines.

I didn't really answer your question because honestly even if you find the cheapest, most reliable way to call Negros Oriental, if you don't nip this in the bud it will greatly impact your marriage.

Also, I lived in Manila and in mid range clinics it won't cost you more than 1k to get checked and buy prescription for simple coughs or colds. You're obviously being taken for a ride.

1 hour ago, notantifun said:

I didn't really answer your question because honestly even if you find the cheapest, most reliable way to call Negros Oriental, if you don't nip this in the bud it will greatly impact your marriage.

Also, I lived in Manila and in mid range clinics it won't cost you more than 1k to get checked and buy prescription for simple coughs or colds. You're obviously being taken for a ride.

+1 for this as well. I have been seen a couple times at rural clinics and it was never more than 2000 peso and that was for a tetanus shot. 

@Balamban you need to set some limits early on until she is able to get a job to help send some as well. I has to do this early on in our marriage and my wife wasn't ok with it at first, but now me wife loves it. We never send more than the allotted amount unless it is a verified emergency and only then to responsible people.

10,000pesos is a hell of a lot of money to just keep sending. At most we will send 3000 for an "emergency". Which goes a long way out in the Provinces. The most recent "emergency" was due to my niece having to get 2 root canals done and so we paid 8000 for that. 

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Establish with your in-laws that you are not an ATM machine, luckily I have never personally experienced this, but several of my friends have and it took a concerted effort of both husband and wife to convince them that you were not fabulously wealthy. Good luck to you in establishing boundries

Timeline

Thank all of you for your answers.  All were useful.

I have found a dentist once, found name/email/phone and sent peso to them--allowing parents taking my nephews/nieces for cleaning/polyurethane and cavity repair--not that expensive.  So with some clinics, often in town with a Lullihier (or whatever) it appears that some will give name/phone/email and take, let's say 5k peso giving me a credit balance, and even submit email receipts.

As for the current issue I've refused the 10k and sent 2500 basing upon two receipts to pediatrician + two receipts for meds (I'm an RN and can diagnose the issue as either community acquired pneumonia or similar respiratory infection based upon the prescribed antibiotics) and have made it very, very clear--in the future, miss one receipt and you are cut off forever.  If the dog ate it, aliens stole it, or doctor refused to write receipt--that family member will never be trusted again.

It's so off (from my POV) that it's not considered theft at all, if there is a hint of reasonableness such as hmm...ankle swollen after fall, let's ask for 10k loan.  Such is life I guess.  I just wish that I was the rich American than everyone thinks that I am.

I never really found any reputable way other then the herein mentioned Skype and had tons of problems trying that now that Microsoft bought Skype.  There really seems to be no reputable phone card as 200 minutes can find zero minutes two weeks later even if only 20 minutes is used.  If the recipient has Globe, Globe does have a good plan but it is only useful for numbers that you know you will be calling (1-5  depending on plan) and that did not help here.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

When microsoft bought skype I dropped it.   Found VSee to work quite well.   https://vsee.com/     But as always  .. you need internet.

A good phone plan to call the Phils?   I use Google, cost is about 10.5 cents per minute.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Thanks Hank, I didn't even know that google had an international phone option, Skype is 12.5cents/min so that's a good option.

We have good Inet but the people we call in Negros do not.

Timeline

Some answering my OP indicated that it seemed unlikely that you could pay a medical provider directly, so I thought this might be useful.

The child has either pnemonia or lower respiratory infection and I did get a copy of the med script.  The cheapest pharmacy appears to be TGP (The Generic Pharmacy) but there is not one where the family lives so we're stuck with Mercury (about the most expensive).  Mercury has an online place where you can ask and even pay for the meds and then have the Filipino family pick up the meds with the prescription in hand.  I inquired from Mercury about two meds and this is their response:

Below is the current price of your inquired items ----

Item Description    Qty    Unit Price    Ext. Price    
    Clarithro-Natrap125mg/5mL 50mL    1    P 454.00    P 454.00    
    Clarithrocid Susp125mg/5mL25mL    1    P 238.75    P 238.75    
    Clarithrocid Susp125mg/5mL50mL    1    P 424.00    P 424.00    
    Klaz Susp 125mg/5mL 35mL    1    P 376.00    P 376.00    
    Klaz Susp 125mg/5mL 70mL    1    P 691.00    P 691.00    
Total    P 2,183.75    
Note: Dosage strength of 37.5ml/ 100mg/5ml for Cefixime is not available from us.

Please be advised that the above quoted price is subject to change without notice and we require doctor's prescription on Rx items. Serving is subject to availability of stock at the time of order.
For your ordering convenience, you may visit our website http://www.mercurydrug.com, fill out our order online form and pay using your Mastercard or Visa credit card.
After processing of your credit card and receipt of our email confirmation, you can either pick the merchandise yourself, or by your designated beneficiary in any preferred Mercury Drug store nationwide within 24 hours
If you have further inquiries, we will be glad to serve you.

MERCURY DRUG

Hope this helps someone, sometime.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.