VisaJourney111

Help - Casablanca Question

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

One of the question, for K1 applicants,  asked in Casablanca Consulate (maybe others) is "Why not get married in Morocco?".  For us, choosing the K1 route was faster...

I was wondering what would be an appropriate answer if they ask this question?

Thank you.

13 minutes ago, VisaJourney111 said:

One of the question, for K1 applicants,  asked in Casablanca Consulate (maybe others) is "Why not get married in Morocco?".  For us, choosing the K1 route was faster...

Thank you.

For me, it is simple, my mother can not fly for health reasons and I would like my family to be present, I can always go back to Morocco to have a wedding party, I can even have one before leaving once accepted but my elderly and sick mother can not fly, so this is my answer to that. Frankly, the answer is so obvious , yet they choose to still ask it, why wait 16 to 18 months when you can potentially be with your loved one in 8. Total no brainer honestly.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband (then fiance) actually wasn't asked why we didn't want to marry in Morocco, but yes you are correct that it is sometimes asked. 

Just be honest when answering. If it's because you believe it is the quicker route to be together, you could say that. As long as you have a genuine and believable answer, it shouldn't cause any issues. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
43 minutes ago, VisaJourney111 said:

Thank you.

Appropriate answer would be exactly why "you" want to marry in USA.   Sometimes its not really the reason of why they want to know...its to read your reaction and perhaps get a feel from you by answering a question like that.   Answering exactly how you feel and with confidence is most importance.  

In all honesty it doesn't matter why..you have a right to marry where you want.   Dealing with a high fraud embassy they like to push the envelope a little more than others just keep in mind some of these crazy questions are just markers to get a feel ..they really don't always care about the real answer.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Hobidyali said:

Frankly, the answer is so obvious , yet they choose to still ask it, why wait 16 to 18 months when you can potentially be with your loved one in 8. 

CR1 is closer to 12-14 months and many who come here on a K1 find it very difficult to sit around - cant work, cant drive, cant go to school until AOS/EAD

The green card immediately on a CR1 is a definite benefit over the K1 adjustment for not much longer of a wait. 

Also getting married in the US means your fiance family cant attend. You could make the same claim that you could have a wedding in Morocco so a CR1 and then have a wedding in the US later. 

Regardless, my husband was not asked this in his K1 interview either. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

But people are asking as it is no longer faster and very few K1's are approved in Casablanca embassy

that does not mean "go and marry on the 1st visit"

no matter which way you decide.  you need several visits to Morocco and qualitity face time / the word here being Quality /long visits,   several visits,  meeting family , knowing the cutlure and showing respect for family (for example the florida girl on 90 day financee showed little respect/ she hung  onto her financee   in front of mother, she showed bare legs in shorts and bare arms in a tank top)

photos like this are viewed by CO before the interview and often viewed by CO that the 2 people know little aboutthe  cultures of each other) BTW they were denied

trying to tell you the packet sent to embassy is seen  ahead of the interview / decision is often made before you arrive/ only you can make a difference by  displaying a real relationship / choose the photos you send in carefully / make sure there is family included and label people

it doesn't matter if you do K1 or CR1 but make several trips to see each other / a 10 day or 2 week vacation to Morocco does not show a loving real relationship to the Casa embassy 

i spent 1 to 3 months on 5 trips

You also must know it is important to the Moroccan family to be part of the marriage celebration/ they love to dress fancy and have a family party and the family knows it may be a long time before they see the Moroccan again if he/she goes to the US so the consultated wonders "why would you deny this to the family"

Edited by adil-rafa
to add info

19 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

CR1 is closer to 12-14 months and many who come here on a K1 find it very difficult to sit around - cant work, cant drive, cant go to school until AOS/EAD

The green card immediately on a CR1 is a definite benefit over the K1 adjustment for not much longer of a wait. 

Also getting married in the US means your fiance family cant attend. You could make the same claim that you could have a wedding in Morocco so a CR1 and then have a wedding in the US later. 

Regardless, my husband was not asked this in his K1 interview either. 

I was giving him an example based on what he said. I stated very clearly what my reason is, my mother is very sick and not sure if she would even get the chance to make it there even if she could and I would love for her to see me married and that's what I meant, I was wrong on the time frame I guess but that is not my motivation for a k1, the reason above is. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, RJandHamid said:

My husband (then fiance) actually wasn't asked why we didn't want to marry in Morocco, but yes you are correct that it is sometimes asked. 

Just be honest when answering. If it's because you believe it is the quicker route to be together, you could say that. As long as you have a genuine and believable answer, it shouldn't cause any issues. 

They didn't ask Adil during K1 in 2009 but they are asking now especially when the reason is stated in the cover letter

asking to see if answers match

also they are wondering why a muslimman  would agree to a Christain wedding in the US if the woman is Christain

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

CR1 is the better option.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Algerian wife here but the cultures concerning weddings are similar. 

The family will want to do something for their son. So I suggest now that you two discuss this at length. 

For instance, we had a simple Fatiha ceremony after the legal marriage with our two witnesses at the city hall. The Imam, my wali (my Muslim male guardian who represented me throughout our marriage process - my now brother-in-law) and my husband and two witnesses did this in our home while I stayed with his sisters at the family home doing Henna and other traditional wedding things. 

One week later we had the wedding reception dinner at his parents home with all of his siblings (12/13 - one lives in France and couldn't attend). There were about 50 people there counting spouses and children and neighbors. In Islam it is Sunnah that the marriage be announced as soon as possible to let the community/family know that a marriage has occurred and that the bride and groom are no longer available for marriage. (Well the Muslim man can have up to 4 wives...is this something you two have discussed BTW?)

My husband bought all the food and cake and drinks and his sisters and mothers prepared a very traditional dinner of couscous and lamb and it's also sunnah to share with the neighborhood mosque to announce the marriage as well. 

I however did not do an elaborate dress change or anything like that and our reception wasn't as fancy as most but we did follow traditional culture and Islamic culture. The embassy knows this is part of a valid marriage in these countries. 

Also the mother's of these men LOVE their sons and it's a bond you and I could never imagine! And I have a 21 year son LOL...trust me it's a big deal. You'll need to have some kind of ceremony here before you whisk him off to the states to marry in my opinion. ☺️

• Spoiler

• Met 09/2016
    • Engaged 11/2016
    • Moved to Algiers, Algeria 03/17/2017
    • Married in Algeria 07/26/2017
    • Decided to relocate back to the US in 08/2018
    • Currently still living in Algeria as of 09/20/2018
    • Mailed petition to FL to be sent by friend to USCIS 09/23/2018
    • Petition sent to Chicago Lockbox 09/27/2018
    • USPS shows Petition delivered to Chicago Lockbox 09/29/2018

Timeline
25 minutes ago, dzmichellebkt said:

The family will want to do something for their son. So I suggest now that you two discuss this at length. 

For instance, we had a simple Fatiha ceremony after the legal marriage with our two witnesses at the city hall. The Imam, my wali (my Muslim male guardian who represented me throughout our marriage process - my now brother-in-law) and my husband and two witnesses did this in our home while I stayed with his sisters at the family home doing Henna and other traditional wedding things. 

One week later we had the wedding reception dinner at his parents home with all of his siblings (12/13 - one lives in France and couldn't attend). There were about 50 people there counting spouses and children and neighbors. In Islam it is Sunnah that the marriage be announced as soon as possible to let the community/family know that a marriage has occurred and that the bride and groom are no longer available for marriage. (Well the Muslim man can have up to 4 wives...is this something you two have discussed BTW?)

My husband bought all the food and cake and drinks and his sisters and mothers prepared a very traditional dinner of couscous and lamb and it's also sunnah to share with the neighborhood mosque to announce the marriage as well. 

I however did not do an elaborate dress change or anything like that and our reception wasn't as fancy as most but we did follow traditional culture and Islamic culture. The embassy knows this is part of a valid marriage in these countries. 

Also the mother's of these men LOVE their sons and it's a bond you and I could never imagine! And I have a 21 year son LOL...trust me it's a big deal. You'll need to have some kind of ceremony here before you whisk him off to the states to marry in my opinion. ☺️

Agree totatly and could not have said it better

Timeline
3 hours ago, dzmichellebkt said:

Totally agree 

i could not have said it better

Timeline
10 hours ago, VisaJourney111 said:

Thank you.

The appropriate answer is the truth. In other words, be open and honest about your own reasons. 

Honest-Love-Respect

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Derik-Lina said:

The appropriate answer is the truth. In other words, be open and honest about your own reasons. 

True but don't be surprised if denied as you did not follow culture

Timeline
1 minute ago, adil-rafa said:

True but don't be surprised if denied as you did not follow culture

True. K1 is really not meant for certain cultures. Perhaps, that s why it is tough in Casa.

Honest-Love-Respect

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.