SUMMERT

I was refused, section 214(b)

65 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Jaquelly said:

Right? Who wants to willingly go to Long Island on holiday.

Hello, a Long Islander here. Long Island is a very big place with many towns and many ethnic communities, particularly from Latin American countries. Hempstead, Huntington, Riverhead come to mind, also lots of standard and outlet shopping malls, fire island, the Hamptons, etc. If the OP's reception lives there and that's where he or she will spend the majority of his or her time, then perhaps the OP was right in listing Long Island as his destination?

13 hours ago, SUMMERT said:

No is not normal in all culture that, but if she asked me for documents she would have that answer, I was prepared for that question.

I wanted to visit Long Island, well USA won’t go, I better try another country next year.

OP, you mentioned that the consulate didn't even review your documents. From anecdotal experience by observing people around me trying to obtain visas for their friend's or relatives from other countries, I can tell you that sometimes your reception can hamper your ability to obtain a tourist visa. In the consular officer's mindset you may have very strong ties to whoever you are visiting here. I didn't see you mention if you were meeting someone here such as relatives or close friends and what is it that they do for a living. Maybe they run a business or work in an occupation where it would be easy to  you bring you into the business or attempt to adjust you status once you are here. I am not saying that is your situation or your intention but that seems to be how consular officers think. Maybe you could consider revising how you present your reception in the States in your application next time you apply.

I hope you can reapply and get your visa soon, and that you feel welcomed here when you do visit.

43 minutes ago, laowainelson said:

Hello, a Long Islander here. Long Island is a very big place with many towns and many ethnic communities, particularly from Latin American countries. Hempstead, Huntington, Riverhead come to mind, also lots of standard and outlet shopping malls, fire island, the Hamptons, etc. If the OP's reception lives there and that's where he or she will spend the majority of his or her time, then perhaps the OP was right in listing Long Island as his destination?

Thank you for your well thought out explanation. I admit I am humbled and feel like a big jerk. :)

8 hours ago, Going through said:

For example, anyone can write a letter of employment on their home computer, create their own letterhead, and print it out.  People here on VJ have admitted to presenting forged documents at a visa interview before (not implying any of your documents were forged).

I’m not that kind of person.

is very sad because of bad intentions from another people. We truthfull tourist pays that and some consuls thinks we’ll overstay 

1 hour ago, laowainelson said:

I didn't see you mention if you were meeting someone here such as relatives or close friends and what is it that they do for a living.

My puropose to go to Long Island was visit a cousin and do some tourism there.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

So now, after four pages of this thread, we finally learn the purpose of OP's visit is to see a cousin in Long Island.  This key piece of information would have been very helpful to know upfront.  If the CO knew this important fact, it may have been the primary reason for the denial.  

29 minutes ago, old-fella said:

you mentioned visiting cousin & vacation (now).

Question is "how did your cousin arrive at the US? "

My cousin is US citizen , he was born in USA, his father was US citizen. In the form I put tourism purpose. 

20 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

So now, after four pages of this thread, we finally learn the purpose of OP's visit is to see a cousin in Long Island.  This key piece of information would have been very helpful to know upfront.  If the CO knew this important fact, it may have been the primary reason for the denial.  

Nobody asked 😊

15 minutes ago, SUMMERT said:

My cousin is US citizen , he was born in USA, his father was US citizen. In the form I put tourism purpose. 

Nobody asked 😊 ----------------- I DID in my 1st post🙄

Anyway coming back to your original post.

If I was a CO, I would ask myself the question :

1. This applicant wants to travel to the USA as a tourist for the first international trip? WHY

2. Traveling alone to the USA leaving family behind for vacation.

These two factors would be major. Then, I would look at finances and other ties back home.  (well, if I was a CO) 

Has their own business but is also working part-time? HMMMMM that means own business is not doing so good. Then how can the applicant be able to afford a 1st international trip to the USA? 

Please know that I am not trying to offend. I am just putting things in perspective for you. 

25 minutes ago, old-fella said:

1. This applicant wants to travel to the USA as a tourist for the first international trip? WHY

Every one can choose the desired destination. 

2. Traveling alone to the USA leaving family behind for vacation.

didnt asked me that but on hands i had the employment letter of my partner which specific she got a new job since 3 months so our vacations didn’t match this year. 

These two factors would be major. Then, I would look at finances and other ties back home.  (well, if I was a CO) maybe could every CO thinks diferente 

Has their own business but is also working part-time? HMMMMM that means own business is not doing so good. Then how can the applicant be able to afford a 1st international trip to

the USA? 

They didn’t asked me for proof. But as other said anyone can fake documents but not my case.

thabks for reply but next time I’ll go with partner to request visa again, maybe a couple of years. The facts I have two jobs that doesn’t mean im

getting bad in my own business.

Edited by SUMMERT

4 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

I personally know of people from the DR (a beautiful country that I love) who separate from family to take advantage of US opportunities. There is nothing wrong with you not knowing anyone who does do it. But I can attest that is does happen more than you think. 

I know many stories of Dominicans who left their families behind, I was educated very well and I don’t have that thought. That’s why Canada, USA and countries from Europe do not trust in Latinos, basically I live like a king in my country but I know CO don’t see it in that way.

4 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

Also, many times when a person feels that the vetting process is unfair to the point where the system suspects a person is not sincere in there intentions are not looking at it from a proper perspective. The few bad people can indeed make things bad for the good. To give you an example, you don't lock your doors at night because of the millions of people who DON'T want to break into your house... you lock your doors for the small few who do.

You’re correct. Well next time we will request both... let’s der if both are accepted or refused lol.

4 hours ago, SUMMERT said:

I know many stories of Dominicans who left their families behind, I was educated very well and I don’t have that thought. That’s why Canada, USA and countries from Europe do not trust in Latinos, basically I live like a king in my country but I know CO don’t see it in that way.

You’re correct. Well next time we will request both... let’s der if both are accepted or refused lol.

To continue playing devil’s advocate: Plenty of people who have been well educated and live like kings in less developed countries have taken a step back in lifestyle to live in the US, usually factors like personal safety, education opportunities for kids etc play a role in such decisions. 

4 hours ago, az2014 said:

You don't say how much you earn per year? Thats a pretty big factor in deciding if you will overstay or not.

Around us 15,300 per year in the private company, now in my won business there’s no a stable mount of money per year cuz depends of tourists we receive on cruiser ships 

3 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

To continue playing devil’s advocate: Plenty of people who have been well educated and live like kings in less developed countries have taken a step back in lifestyle to live in the US, usually factors like personal safety, education opportunities for kids etc play a role in such decisions. 

Sorry but not my case, not everybody in DR are corrupted 🤗

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
12 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

Actually, it happens more than you think. You are just not aware of it. See NYCruiser and my stories below.

@NYCruiser I got an even better story and one that is directly related the OP's and my wife's country.. the Dominican Republic. A country that I visit frequently and have family that are living there.

My wife has a half brother (her father had several kids outside of his marriage) who has a visitor visa. He has traveled here  many times. Never overstayed. He came to our house and ate dinner and we talked over beers. He is a business owner in Santo Domingo. He has what the Dominicans call a "wife". Now for those that don't understand the difference, in the DR, if a couple are together for a long time, live together and have kids, they call each other husband and wife even though it is not legal or official.

Anyway, my BIL has his Dominican wife that he has been with for years. They have 3 kids together. Two are grade school age and another that is about a year old. A few months ago my wife told me that her brother and his "wife" decided that they want the kids to go to school in the US because it is a better school system. She then told me how they are going to accomplish this. Apparently, my BIL arranged for a family friend to officially marry his "wife" and file a spouse visa for her(remember, they are not officially married so she can officially marry someone else). My BIL's "wife" will then move to the US so their kids can go to school. He has no plans on joining them. He will just visit them as often as possible for the time being.

My wife knows how I am about people who scam the system so you can imagine her reluctance for her to tell me their plan. She herself even says that it is unfortunate that they are doing it this way because since my wife has been involved with the immigration process, she constantly sees how people abuse the system and how it makes it bad for others. I shake my head in disappointment and my wife simply says, "Lo se, lo se" (I know, I know). Truth be told, even if my wife informs her brother of what they are doing is wrong (which I kind of get the feeling she has already), they are going to do it anyway. And to me, that is the biggest risk.

So @SUMMERT, I personally know of people from the DR (a beautiful country that I love) who separate from family to take advantage of US opportunities. There is nothing wrong with you not knowing anyone who does do it. But I can attest that is does happen more than you think. 

Also, many times when a person feels that the vetting process is unfair to the point where the system suspects a person is not sincere in there intentions are not looking at it from a proper perspective. The few bad people can indeed make things bad for the good. To give you an example, you don't lock your doors at night because of the millions of people who DON'T want to break into your house... you lock your doors for the small few who do.

Very insightful post indeed. I am always puzzled how people scam the system. With how long it is taking, it is incredible how lies are still being told.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.