iMean

Is it possible to get a house worker in the Philippines?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Me and my husband are fulltime worker.  We have two kids, a 9 year old and 1 year old.  My inlaws lives with us, both of them needs help preparing their food and other assistance.  I badly need a helper that can baby sit and also watch my inlaws.  Is it possible to bring a relative that can work with me? And what visa they to get?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
21 minutes ago, iMean said:

Me and my husband are fulltime worker.  We have two kids, a 9 year old and 1 year old.  My inlaws lives with us, both of them needs help preparing their food and other assistance.  I badly need a helper that can baby sit and also watch my inlaws.  Is it possible to bring a relative that can work with me? And what visa they to get?

Unfortunately, there is no visa for a case like that. That is a job any American can do. :( 

You can try for a J-1 visa (au pair) but the relative must first find a DOS sponsor which is a difficult and lengthy process. 

It's doubtful you could bring a relative on a visa to provide caregiver service to your in-laws as that is a job that could be done by a person already here.

I understand you would prefer a relative to provide that service but it's hard to bring someone on a visa for a simple job that could be done by anyone. 

Even the B-1 visa with a domestic employee annotation wouldn't apply here. As much as you want a relative to take care of them, that's not how US immigration works. Jobs go to US-authorized workers first, then overseas aliens. There's not a visa that would really apply here. The closet would be a J-1, but I doubt they would do so for a relative.

I suggest seeking out the help of in-home nursing/caretaker services.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
59 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Even the B-1 visa with a domestic employee annotation wouldn't apply here. As much as you want a relative to take care of them, that's not how US immigration works. Jobs go to US-authorized workers first, then overseas aliens. There's not a visa that would really apply here. The closet would be a J-1, but I doubt they would do so for a relative.

I suggest seeking out the help of in-home nursing/caretaker services.

With so many news about babies or adult getting abused, a relative is really an ideal one.  We don't have big family here in the US that's why I'm curious about bringing in relative to take care of them. But with everyone's comment, looks like a long shot.  Thank you guys for the response.

4 minutes ago, iMean said:

With so many news about babies or adult getting abused, a relative is really an ideal one.  We don't have big family here in the US that's why I'm curious about bringing in relative to take care of them. But with everyone's comment, looks like a long shot.  Thank you guys for the response.

Is there a Filipino community in your area, you might find someone you would trust better.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Have you considered moving to the Philippines?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, iMean said:

I'm in no way implying it is the case here, but statistically a victim knows their abuser...many times a relative. I think this is more of knowing the individual person well enough, not that they are a relative.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

11 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I'm in no way implying it is the case here, but statistically a victim knows their abuser...many times a relative. I think this is more of knowing the individual person well enough, not that they are a relative.

Agree

That aspect aside, I’d tend to think even if some kind of visa existed if it’s a relative like this the US would tend to look at it as an attempt to undercut a US aide on price, sidestep family immigration procedures, or both.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Agree

That aspect aside, I’d tend to think even if some kind of visa existed if it’s a relative like this the US would tend to look at it as an attempt to undercut a US aide on price, sidestep family immigration procedures, or both.

One of the requirements of most work visas is that you have to pay the prevailing wage, obviously meeting that requirement and all the on costs of employing someone, we are talking a lot of money, so I assume this is not an issue or the OP would not even be considering the possibility. Only a tiny percentage of the US population could consider doing that.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

One of the requirements of most work visas is that you have to pay the prevailing wage, obviously meeting that requirement and all the on costs of employing someone, we are talking a lot of money, so I assume this is not an issue or the OP would not even be considering the possibility. Only a tiny percentage of the US population could consider doing that.

1. You’re assuming OP knows that, from the other questions asked I would assume OP does not know that 

2. Many employers seem able to circumvent the requirement in practice once the employee is in place 

Filed: Other Timeline

Check to see if your community has a community service agency which helps identifying services seniors need.  There are many home health and housekeeping agencies that send caregivers for a fee.

Unless you both are very well paid professionals, you might find it more cost effective for one of you to stay home to care for your parents and toddler.  I hope you are not leaving your children in the care of people who are unable to care for themselves.

If you chose to hire a caregiver, remember you will need to pay social security, unemployment and workers compensation taxes on top of at least a minimum wage. These add hundreds of dollars a year to the cost of caregivers.

Timeline

Hundreds of dollars a pay period.

20 hours ago, iMean said:

Nonsense.

22 hours ago, iMean said:

NO.  There are plenty of American's that you can hire.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.