TennMike7

Package that cannot be opened.

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

My wife recently got approved at the consular interview for her spousal visa. Today she got the package from the embassy and we bought her airline tickets. Is it the entire package that cannot be opened or is their some sort of secondary package inside of that package that cannot be opened?

What will she need to present at the airport? They will need to see her passport before she boards the plane? How does this work?

We're kinda confused about the part about returning her passport but it cannot be opened. How will she be able to make the flight without her passport being visible?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Inside the package from the embassy, she should fine her passport with the visa as well as a separate package marked "To be opened by CBP officer only"..or some wording to that effect.  It is that one which should remain sealed.....

She will need her passport to travel......when she arrives in the US, she will present her passport with visa and the sealed package to the officer......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Open the courier mailing bag and inside will be her passport, the invoice for the $220 GC fee and another envelope that is sealed and clearly marked that it is not to be opened by anyone except the CBP officer. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

One of the sheets of paper will probably say she needs only her passport......it is becoming very common that the records are being transferred electronically....

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

It has a letter that says the visa is attached to your passport. No visa packet. I'm guessing that that is what the RDJ consulate is now doing? Was the sealed packet supposed to be the visa?

Timeline
1 minute ago, TennMike7 said:

It has a letter that says the visa is attached to your passport. No visa packet. I'm guessing that that is what the RDJ consulate is now doing? Was the sealed packet supposed to be the visa?

The sealed packet would have been totally separate from the visa.  The items which would have been in the package have been electronically transmitted, it seems.

The visa is inside her passport......that is what she will present when arriving.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sri Lanka
Timeline

Why don't you call the embassy and get it be cleared by them?

ROC Process:

Submitted I-751: August 4, 2018

Received by California ofis : August 6, 2018

NOA1 date : August 29, 2018

Biometrics date : March 29, 2019

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

When mine arrived it was in a tamper proof sealed plastic type baggie and inside was my passport and my packet.

This is the packet, kinda beat up but this is the way it arrived.

RavGNiBl.jpg

Edited by Mr&Mrs G.

Mar-15-2017 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

Mar-21-2017 - NOA1 Priority date & Case assigned to Nebraska Service Center 

Dec-15-2017 - NOA2 I-130 approved

Jan-08-2018 -  NVC received

Jan-17-2018 - Received DS-261 AOS bill

Jan-17-2018 - Paid DS-261 AOS bill & submit 

Jan-26-2018 - Received IV bill

Jan-27-2018 - Paid IV bill

Feb-10-2018 - Send IV package

Feb-13-2018 - Scan Date

Feb-27-2018 - NVC Case Complete

Mar-17-2018   Receive interview date for April, St Patrick's Day good day to be Irish

Apr-17-2018    Interview at Dublin Embassy 

Apr-17-2018    Interview completed now in AP pending submitting other paperwork

Apr-25-2018    Additional information provided as requested 

May-09-2018   Visa approved, CEAC status changed to "Issued"

May-11-2018   Passport returned along with envelope for border control. 

Sep-18-2018    Entry through US Precleance Dublin, no problems at all.

Aug-27-2021   N400 for citizenship based on 3 year rule filed electronically

Aug-27-2021   NOA1 application received

Oct-02-2021    Notification of biometrics date

Oct-26-2021    Biometrics 

Jul-27-2022     Interview Raleigh NC, passed and same day oath

7 hours ago, TennMike7 said:

She opened it and it only had some loose papers and her passport with visa! No separate package inside!!!!

Did you read the "loose papers"? The file is now often transferred electronically, but in that case there's usually a letter about that. Sit down, read the papers, look at the visa, contact the embassy if you're still confused.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

More and more, they are sending visas with no packet as all of the information is loaded into the system ahead of time.  You can confirm Olof needed, but read the papers.  I would bet it says no packet is needed.

Timeline

Thanks everyone for your comments.

The embassy is closed today on account of Labor Day. Same with NVC.

The English part of the forms was not as clear. It just said that the visa was in the passport. No visa packet. The same letter in Portuguese was much clearer stating that there was no sealed (lacrado) package with this case. After going over the Portuguese documents, we decided that it had to have been digitally uploaded.

Even so, we will confirm with the embassy. My wife made friends with others who had their interviews that week. She called them and they all received the same thing. Passport with visa in it and no sealed package to be opened by CBP officers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.