Adamisawesome

Reside in UK, can I file N400 online?

37 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Russ&Caro said:

You can get very good advice here at VJ. Helps to be open to the advice and understand that many experts on here are very direct, which some people feel is rude but really is not.

A note on timelines outside of the country... the guidelines set by USCIS is not 1 year outside of the country but instead just 6 months. If you plan on being outside of the country for more than 6 months you should get a re-entry permit, as advised above. There seems to be many cases where being outside of the country in between 6 and 12 months has been allowed; however, this is not the guideline. If your husband will be outside of the country for an extended period of time, then you should focus on retaining your residency (green card), not your citizenship. You can always restart the clock on citizenship down the road when you return to the United States for a 3 year stretch of time. Good luck!

Couldn’t agreed anymore! My husband is going to consult with the lawyer from his company and see how it goes. Definitely retaining the residency is priority. 

Thanks!

If it were possible to gain citizenship merely by being married to a USC but living overseas then there would be a lot more applications for citizenship. Best in mind, there are some USCs who have never lived in the USA (and may not even have any intention to). Their spouses are not eligible for citizenship. If living overseas with a USC were enough to qualify for citizenship then there would be no need for DCF, for example. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
53 minutes ago, Adamisawesome said:

Couldn’t agreed anymore! My husband is going to consult with the lawyer from his company and see how it goes. Definitely retaining the residency is priority. 

Thanks!

Is this company lawyer an experienced immigration attorney? I would not take advice from an attorney who is not familiar with these matters

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

1 hour ago, Russ&Caro said:

A note on timelines outside of the country... the guidelines set by USCIS is not 1 year outside of the country but instead just 6 months. If you plan on being outside of the country for more than 6 months you should get a re-entry permit, as advised above. There seems to be many cases where being outside of the country in between 6 and 12 months has been allowed; however, this is not the guideline. 

This is not correct. The guideline set by USCIS IS indeed one year out the country. This is noted in a number of official uscis publications and websites, including the opening paragraph of their document about when you need a re-entry permit https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/B5en.pdf  ....you can also check the uscis pages on international travel as a permanent resident, etc, they ALL say the same thing - one year is the guideline.

However they also all note that shorter absences can be seen as abandonment if the green card holder is residing in another country, which clearly is the case here, so it is imperative that she does indeed get a re-entry permit.

Maybe you are thinking about 6 months because you break the continuous presence requirement for naturalization by being out for longer than 6 months - whether or not you have a re-entry permit.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Other Timeline
2 hours ago, CarlHamilton said:

And with all due respect to VJ contributors, you should talk to a lawyer before you rearrange your life around residency requirements.

Your DH's company should have an immigration attorney. Please have that person review your entire situation!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

This is not correct. The guideline set by USCIS IS indeed one year out the country. This is noted in a number of official uscis publications and websites, including the opening paragraph of their document about when you need a re-entry permit https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/B5en.pdf  ....you can also check the uscis pages on international travel as a permanent resident, etc, they ALL say the same thing - one year is the guideline.

However they also all note that shorter absences can be seen as abandonment if the green card holder is residing in another country, which clearly is the case here, so it is imperative that she does indeed get a re-entry permit.

Maybe you are thinking about 6 months because you break the continuous presence requirement for naturalization by being out for longer than 6 months - whether or not you have a re-entry permit.

Ahh, thanks for the correction. I try to limit the advice I give to things I know and in this case I strayed a little from that comfort zone.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

it amuses me when someone looks for advise and was given the correct answer and then s/he would make a self-serving counter argument.

No, oil and gas company is not exempt, no, you cannot apply for citizenship, and yes you may have abandoned your residency.

A re-entry permit would probably not work since your husband has taken employment overseas. By doing so, you have made the UK your place of residency. I’m guessing this move offered an advantage over remaining in the US? 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
26 minutes ago, mcdull said:

it amuses me when someone looks for advise and was given the correct answer and then s/he would make a self-serving counter argument.

I'm pretty sure this is the exact opposite of what the OP has done by opening this thread and responding to the advice she has been given. The "self-serving counter arguments" you accuse her of making were actually direct statements made by USCIS, when she called them for guidance. She came here to confirm these statements and now seems to understand they were wrong.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

31 minutes ago, JFH said:

A re-entry permit would probably not work since your husband has taken employment overseas. By doing so, you have made the UK your place of residency. I’m guessing this move offered an advantage over remaining in the US? 

Isnt this part of what a re-entry permit is for - to protect against losing your green card when taking io residency elsewhere for a time? Of course this only works if it is for say a year or two - as it type I realize it’s not actually clear to me how long OP intends to stay out the US for. If permanently, then indeed the REP would be no help.

10 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Isnt this part of what a re-entry permit is for - to protect against losing your green card when taking io residency elsewhere for a time? Of course this only works if it is for say a year or two - as it type I realize it’s not actually clear to me how long OP intends to stay out the US for. If permanently, then indeed the REP would be no help.

Correct. And it can only be applied for within the US, so that is OP's first obstacle. Hard to know what CBP will say when OP comes back.

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline
9 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

Hard to know what CBP will say when OP comes back.

Something along these lines: "You've been absent from the US for more than 6 months.  Prove to me that you haven't abandoned your permanent resident status." 

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Well it’s not for people who choose to set up home overseas. If you’re going on a temporary assignment of 12 months, for example, and maintaining residency here such as financials, furniture in storage, etc. But they have elected to take a job overseas and moved their lives there. Taking up employment overseas (which is completely different than being sent to an overseas office temporarily for a project) is one of the biggest things that counts against you in your quest to demonstrate that you only intended to be gone a short while. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

6 hours ago, Adamisawesome said:

I absolutely agreed with you. We called USCIS twice, clarified twice, both employees said I’m eligible. But, I trusted VJ more, thanks for spending time for such inputs. I rather try to apply re-entry permit for now, and then N400 later when I return to Houston to establish back the residency requirements.

You are eligible to file...but would not eligible for approval. Unless you work falls into one of the categories listed above, the time outside the US will be counted against you. Taking up a residence and job will as well.

It sounds like the move is not temporary...you just want citizenship so you can easily return later (visits or possibly move back).

Either way, you must meet the physical presence, continuous residence, and 3 month district residence requirements (as well as others), which won't apply in your case with the stated plans.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

It’s totally unclear to me how long they intend to stay out for (there still seem to be some ties in Houston given OP specifically talks about returning there every time, not clear if the company ttansfer is permanent or temporary), however, it’s clear that previous advice they were given and/or what they understood is off target - example, the idea of returning every 10 months to “keep a green card”, it doesn’t work like that if you are actually living elsewhere. Agree at this point just keeping the green card will be a bigger issue than getting citizenship. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.