Misyga

Possible to Expedite i-130? (expat US Cit)

35 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

I'm a US citizen living abroad for almost 3-4 years.  I'm married to a British Citizen for almost 2 years (this December).  We currently reside in Switzerland. With a recent death (July) of my grandfather who raised me, I feel like I need to be closer to the family I have left.  My husband and I have a very traditional relationship, he's the primary income earner/breadwinner, and I'm the homemaker. So in order for us to go back to the US, he needs to come with me, as I cannot support my self financially,  I do have some ties to the US, in regards to a student loan that needs to start to be paid in January of 2019 and a bank with small amounts of funds.  My husband is an educator/academic and several places have reached interest in him, so the opportunity of working for him is not an issue (kind of what happens when he has a Ph.D), however, most places can't really go much further than an interview since he can't legally work there yet.  Since his job in academia is unique (compared to working in retail where you can start whenever) he usually can only start in Summer or in some cases Dec/Jan.

I guess the only criteria we can somewhat say is, will this be counted as a sever lost of financial situation to me? because if he doesn't get it in time, he can't start working, and we can't immigrate, meaning I can't pay my student loans. And if we can't live there, there is not really a point to pay them, since my co-signer is now dead, etc. We are stuck between a rock and a hard place.  The other option is: after his contract is up in Switzerland, is that we will move back to Asia and just live there if we can't move back to the US.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You can live in the US without supporting yourself if your husband can support you.  Let that sink in.  That you don't like the idea does not mean you have a hardship.  No, that's not a reason for an expedite.  You are going to be the sponsor.  Your husband's income cannot be used to help you qualify but enough liquid assets can.  

Even if you could get an expedite, you would need to deal with the sponsorship issue, BEFORE getting the visa.

Visas are valid for six months, so you could arrange to finish the visa process a few months before September.  Filing next spring would do that, or file anytime and delay the visa interview until the spring of 2020.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

That's a good point. How are you going to sponsor your husband for a visa if you don't have a job? Or a co-sponsor? I understand the traditional marriage thing, but nothing stops you from going back to the US and finding a job so you can pay your debts and sponsor your husband. So you can't tell USCIS to process your case faster just because you need your husband to find a job in the US faster... You know?

There is really no grounds for expedite here.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

For the spouse visa? No. It's not possible.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

3 minutes ago, Misyga said:

Can they file for a working one? even if we filed for a spousal one?

Honestly you're just trying to make all this waay over complicated.

They won't expedite any work visa for your spouse. Even IF someone would want to sponsor him, it will still take months. Not to mention work visas are usually non-immigrant.

Sit tight. And wait for your spouse visa.

Work on your sponsorship abilities.

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Just now, Roel said:

Honestly you're just trying to make all this waay over complicated.

They won't expedite any work visa for your spouse. Even IF someone would want to sponsor him, it will still take months. Not to mention work visas are usually non-immigrant.

Sit tight. And wait for your spouse visa.

Work on your sponsorship abilities.

Well, to be fair, it is complicated...

It's not. 

Steps:

1. Work on your domicile and sponsorship issues. If you don't want to find work, find a cosponsor. 

2. File i130 if you haven't already. 

3. Wait 12 to 14 months  

4. Profit. 

Getting work Visa involved is completely unnecessary. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I will actually go against the flow and think a Work Visa, say a L would be a very good option, dual intent, his Employer pays for the move etc he gets to the US much quicker and can adjust to LPR at your leisure.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

I will actually go against the flow and think a Work Visa, say a L would be a very good option, dual intent, his Employer pays for the move etc he gets to the US much quicker and can adjust to LPR at your leisure.

An L for an academic position?   An intracompany transfer?   His Swiss school has a branch in the US to transfer him to?  

Be realistic.  OP is throwing anything out to see if it sticks.  A work visa is not the solution here.  The only realistic thing is to wait for the IR-1 visa.  

Edited by Jojo92122

Filed: Timeline
7 hours ago, Misyga said:

Hello everyone.

I'm a US citizen living abroad for almost 3-4 years.  I'm married to a British Citizen for almost 2 years (this December).  We currently reside in Switzerland. With a recent death (July) of my grandfather who raised me, I feel like I need to be closer to the family I have left.  My husband and I have a very traditional relationship, he's the primary income earner/breadwinner, and I'm the homemaker. So in order for us to go back to the US, he needs to come with me, as I cannot support my self financially,  I do have some ties to the US, in regards to a student loan that needs to start to be paid in January of 2019 and a bank with small amounts of funds.  My husband is an educator/academic and several places have reached interest in him, so the opportunity of working for him is not an issue (kind of what happens when he has a Ph.D), however, most places can't really go much further than an interview since he can't legally work there yet.  Since his job in academia is unique (compared to working in retail where you can start whenever) he usually can only start in Summer or in some cases Dec/Jan.

I guess the only criteria we can somewhat say is, will this be counted as a sever lost of financial situation to me? because if he doesn't get it in time, he can't start working, and we can't immigrate, meaning I can't pay my student loans. And if we can't live there, there is not really a point to pay them, since my co-signer is now dead, etc. We are stuck between a rock and a hard place.  The other option is: after his contract is up in Switzerland, is that we will move back to Asia and just live there if we can't move back to the US.

Here is the harsh reality.

It takes a USC a little over a year to petition a spouse for an immigrant visa.  There are lots of couples waiting for their turn. 

What makes your case special that requires your husband's case to be expedited before all the other couples and you don't have to wait like them?

You don't have a financial loss.  You have a desire to come home to be near your family because your grandfather died.  Your husband can keep working at his current job and wait for his visa like everyone else.  You can support yourself financially by getting a job.

If you don't see a point in paying your student loans now that the co-signer is dead, then those loans will hang over your head if you ever decide to come back to live in the US.  Bye bye good credit score.  Bye bye ability to rent a place.  Bye bye ability to finance a car.  

There is only one path for your husband to immigrate to the US, an IR-1 spousal visa which takes about a year to get.  

This is the reality of immigration.  It takes patience and planning.  

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

He might qualify for NIW and get a green card without the need for sponsor. Depends on his academic field, publications and citations. However, it is not an easy process and definitely not fast.

Edited by RobV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.