KathCali

Mega Thread for All questions regarding Public Charge

196 posts in this topic

I did not see this thread before I posted my question in the ROC forum, many apologies... I am reposting my question here and hope a mod could kindly remove my question from the other forum. 

Thank you everyone for your attention to my question. 

According to the proposed rule change about inadmissibility based on the alien being, or potentially becoming a “public charge” in the future, there is a part in the guidelines that states that a heavily weighted negative factor that will be considered when processing an immigrant is that they are not employed. 

I am a Canadian citizen. I obtained my conditional green card in 2017 and I will be applying for ROC in January of 2019. My husband and I are in our early thirties and we have no children. He makes about 70k a year, but I am not employed. I have a bachelors degree and he holds a postgrad degree. 

Since I am not working, the income for our combined household of 2 is 71k. Due to the degree of support I provide to my husband domestically, he wishes that I do not seek out employment during the next two years and instead focus on supporting him in his career goals. 

Given the above information, do you think that our situation, if it remains unchanged into 2019, would impact my ROC application negatively since my lack of employment may cause the officer to view me as a potential future public charge? 

Edited by Worried23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Worried23 said:

I am reposting my question here and hope a mod could kindly remove my question from the other forum. 

Done. :) 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Worried23 said:

I did not see this thread before I posted my question in the ROC forum, many apologies... I am reposting my question here and hope a mod could kindly remove my question from the other forum. 

According to the proposed rule change about inadmissibility based on the alien being, or potentially becoming a “public charge” in the future, there is a part in the guidelines that states that a heavily weighted negative factor that will be considered when processing an immigrant is that they are not employed. 

I am a Canadian citizen. I obtained my conditional green card in 2017 and I will be applying for ROC in January of 2019. My husband and I are in our early thirties and we have no children. He makes about 70k a year, but I am not employed. I have a bachelors degree and he holds a postgrad degree. 

Since I am not working, the income for our combined household of 2 is 71k. Due to the degree of support I provide to my husband domestically, he wishes that I do not seek out employment during the next two years and instead focus on supporting him in his career goals. 

Given the above information, do you think that our situation, if it remains unchanged into 2019, would impact my ROC application negatively since my lack of employment may cause the officer to view me as a potential future public charge? 

I think you need to stop reading the MSM's and get on with your life.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Worried23 said:

I don't know the answer to your substantive question, but you may not have to worry about it for procedural reasons.  The proposed rule hasn't been published in the Federal Register (as of yesterday, I'm not compulsively checking it) - that will start a 60-day period for public comments, which will be digested and reflected in a revised version of the rule, which in turn will have to be published in the Federal Register and will not be effective for another 60 days after publication.  Looking at the calendar, the new requirements are unlikely to affect you if you apply in January 2019. 

1 minute ago, CarlHamilton said:

I don't know the answer to your substantive question, but you may not have to worry about it for procedural reasons.  The proposed rule hasn't been published in the Federal Register (as of yesterday, I'm not compulsively checking it) - that will start a 60-day period for public comments, which will be digested and reflected in a revised version of the rule, which in turn will have to be published in the Federal Register and will not be effective for another 60 days after publication.  Looking at the calendar, the new requirements are unlikely to affect you if you apply in January 2019. 

Thank you very much for your response!

So in your view, the date of application, not the date of processing/adjudication, is going to affect whether if my case will be impacted by the new rules? 

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 minute ago, Worried23 said:

Thank you very much for your response!

So in your view, the date of application, not the date of processing/adjudication, is going to affect whether if my case will be impacted by the new rules? 

That would be consistent with previous rule changes (such as the RFE/NOID rule that went into force on September 11 this year).  Also considering how slow the development of this rule has been (a first draft was leaked in February), you may even be adjudicated before it goes into effect.

1 minute ago, CarlHamilton said:

That would be consistent with previous rule changes (such as the RFE/NOID rule that went into force on September 11 this year).  Also considering how slow the development of this rule has been (a first draft was leaked in February), you may even be adjudicated before it goes into effect.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
4 hours ago, Worried23 said:

Wait. I thought this would only apply to people who are adjusting to Green Card (AOS), Work or Student Visa's. I don't think it would apply in your case since you already have your GC. I could be wrong, but if this is the case as not being employed would be a negative factor, that's very ###### stupid on Govt. it has no business telling who can and can't work as long your above the 250% Poverty Line.

..:::: My Visa Journey Timeline ::::..

• 10/20/2013 [Married]
  • 12/11/2013 [I-130 Mailed Phoeniz, AZ Lockbox]
  • 12/12/2013 [Priority Date]
  • 12/17/2013 [Received & Money Order Cashed | e-Mail | Text] [Last Update 1]

• 01/09/2014 [NOA1 (I-797C) Hardcopy Recieved]
  • 05/29/2014 [Alien Registration Number Changed | e-Mail | Text] [Last Update 2]
  • 06/10/2014 [I-130 Approved | e-Mail | Text] [Last Update 3]
  • 06/16/2014 [Shipped to NVC for processing | e-Mail | Text] [Last Update 4]
  • 06/30/2014 [Received at NVC] [Last Update 5]
  • 07/24/2014 [Case, IIN and BIN Numbers received] [Last Update 6]
  • 07/31/2014 [Received AOS Bill & DS-261 | e-Mail | Text] [Last Update 7]
  • 08/02/2014 [Paid AOS Bill] [Last Update 8]
  • 08/04/2014 [Package AOS Sent] [Last Update 9]
  • 09/11/2014 [Received IV Bill] [Last Update 10]
  • 09/12/2014 [Paid IV Bill] [Last Update 11]
  • 09/15/2014 [IV Package Sent] [Last Update 12]
  • 09/18/2014 [DS-260 Completed] [Last Update 13]
  • 10/03/2014 [AOS Check-list Sent] [Last Update 14]
  • 12/03/2014 [Case Complete | e-Mail] [Last Update 15]
  • 12/23/2014 [Medical Exam] [Last Update 16]

• 01/28/2015 [interview] [Last Update 17]

49 minutes ago, AdnanS said:

Wait. I thought this would only apply to people who are adjusting to Green Card (AOS), Work or Student Visa's. I don't think it would apply in your case since you already have your GC. I could be wrong, but if this is the case as not being employed would be a negative factor, that's very ###### stupid on Govt. it has no business telling who can and can't work as long your above the 250% Poverty Line.

That’s what I was concerned about as well and I guess my main question... since the concept of “self-sufficiency” will be highlighted as a factor, will this apply to only AOS to greencard and some types of visa applications, or will it apply to I-751 as well since it is a renewal of a green card which invites scrutiny from USCIS? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Worried23 said:

That’s what I was concerned about as well and I guess my main question... since the concept of “self-sufficiency” will be highlighted as a factor, will this apply to only AOS to greencard and some types of visa applications, or will it apply to I-751 as well since it is a renewal of a green card which invites scrutiny from USCIS? 

You already have a green card albeit a conditional one. There is no public charge determinations during removal of conditions.

*** Moved to "Immigration-Related Discussion" ***

This has already discussed heavily.

Please see the megathread about it below...

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.