KathCali

Mega Thread for All questions regarding Public Charge

196 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Dave&Kal said:

Well anything anywhere is fake news! As HE says! Probably false news is your source of all news!

Here is one of the links, if you just do a little googling and dont wait for speenfeeding, then you can find more links yourself:

http://cepr.net/blogs/cepr-blog/new-trump-proposal-to-restrict-legal-immigration-even-worse-than-media-says

Also, that article is from August 23.  The reg just came out two days ago. 

Edited by CarlHamilton

Timeline
28 minutes ago, Boiler said:

CEPR has been described as both progressive[7] and left-leaning.[3][8][5] CEPR is based in Washington, DC.

Wiki

More importantly, that article was published a month before the regulation we're discussing came out.  Tells you everything you need to know about the level of discourse around here. 

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, CarlHamilton said:

I don't know what "speenfeeding" is, but I actually read the entire regulation on Saturday.  Have you read it?  Can you explain what is being taken back?  What the rule says, and even your alarmist source acknowledges (read it again please) is that "in the future" (meaning after the new rule takes effect) immigrants will be discouraged from taking "gifts" (your term, which I find amusing) from the public purse and if they're likely to do so, they have to post a bond.  No pre-existing benefits are being repaid, but future "gifts" will come out of the bond, and for good reason.  The law has required immigrants not to be a burden on the public purse since the 1800s.  It's just that enforcement got limp-wristed under Clinton.  But to go back to your gifts, if you don't want to pay anything back, simply don't ask for taxpayer money going forward.  Do you get it now?

Big fingers and small keyboard! 🤣🤣 i was trying to type spoon feeding!

Later when i get home will read this and answer accordingly. Just in a mechanic shop 😁

Like i explained in my very first post, this rule is much better or at least not as bad as the draft was! But i know one thing for sure! What these people are doing is not intending to help the country! 200 years of policy making made the US we know today! You cant pick up the hammer and smash down everything because you think you know everything and everyone else were dumb! Time will show!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Dave&Kal said:

🤣🤣

😁

200 years of policy making made the US we know today! You cant pick up the hammer and smash down everything because you think you know everything and everyone else were dumb!

The "public charge" prohibition has been part of immigration law for 130 of those 200 years.  Nothing is being smashed with a hammer. 

Based on the actual proposal (not news articles) found at https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/18_0921_USCIS_Proposed-Rule-Public-Charge.pdf - can anyone please clarify whether emergency only medicaid (Medi-Cal in California) will remain not considered as a public charge?

I-751 - Pending

PD: Jul 27, 2020 (California Service Center / WAC) w/ 18 mth extension letter

Biometrics: N/A - No request for biometrics, no notification of reusing fingerprints 

Office Transfer to National Benefits Center / MSC: Jan 5, 2021 & Jan 6, 2021 ("standard processing")

San Fernando Valley, CA (Los Angeles)

I-130 / I-485 - Approved Oct 2018
PD: Sep 15, 2017
Biometrics: Oct 11, 2017
EAD: Dec 13, 2017 (Didn't apply for AP)
EAD Renewal PD: June 19, 2018
EAD Renewal Fingerprint Review Completed: July 6, 2018
Interview Ready to be Scheduled: Jul 17, 2018
Interview: Oct 16, 2018

Approved - Card Received

AOS from O1 through marriage

San Fernando Valley, CA (Los Angeles)

Second question: Am I also correct in thinking that if my USC spouse is covered by medicaid but I, the immigrant, am not, that is okay under the new proposal? Or are they still including household members? I read through the whole thing but it was very long and confusing and I'm still unclear on that.

I-751 - Pending

Biometrics: N/A - No request for biometrics, no notification of reusing fingerprints 

Office Transfer to National Benefits Center / MSC: Jan 5, 2021 & Jan 6, 2021 ("standard processing")

Approved - Card Received

Timeline
1 hour ago, CarlHamilton said:

Also, that article is from August 23.  The reg just came out two days 

I just did a quick search on google looking for $10,000 bond and didnt have a chance to check the dates. I also saw that news on Sunday but needs more time to look and find it!  But what difference does it make for those who have put their heads in the sand! At the end, somebody is going to say, that was fake news, this is left that is right.... 

You know what, this new rule is GREAT, this administration is EXCELLENT, i mean everything they do is great! Ok? Now be happy and keep your head in the sand and enjoy rest of your life!  There is no point teaching an old dog new tricks! And i dont have more time wasting in here! Be happy with whatever makes you happy! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

@Dave&Kal seem very knowledgeable on the subject.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
9 minutes ago, KathCali said:

Based on the actual proposal (not news articles) found at https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/18_0921_USCIS_Proposed-Rule-Public-Charge.pdf - can anyone please clarify whether emergency only medicaid (Medi-Cal in California) will remain not considered as a public charge?

Ah, now we're talking facts, not fiction.  I think the answer to your question is yes.  Here's why.  The proposed reg excludes from Medicaid benefits, among other things:

"(A) Benefits paid for an emergency medical condition as described in section 1903(v) of
Title XIX of the Social Security Act, 42 U.S.C. 1396b(v), 42 CFR 440.255(c);"

So emergency benefits would be permitted.  But how, you may ask, are these defined?   42 CFR 440.255 states:

"§ 440.255 Limited services available to

certain aliens.

(a)

FFP for services.

FFP is available for services provided to aliens de-

scribed in this section which are nec-

essary to treat an emergency medical

condition as defined in paragraphs

(b)(1) and (c) or services for pregnant

women described in paragraph (b)(2).

(b) Legalized aliens eligible only for

emergency services and services for preg-

nant women. Aliens granted lawful tem-

porary resident status, or lawful per-

manent resident status under sections

245A, 210 or 210A of the Immigration

and Nationality Act, who are not in

one of the exempt groups described in

§§ 435.406(a)(3) and 436.406(a)(3) and who

meet all other requirements for Med-

icaid will be eligible for the following

services—

(1) Emergency services required after

the sudden onset of a medical condition

manifesting itself by acute symptoms

of sufficient severity (including severe

pain) such that the absence of imme-

diate medical attention could reason-

ably be expected to result in:

(i) Placing the patient’s health in se-

rious jeopardy;

(ii) Serious impairment to bodily

functions; or

(iii) Serious dysfunction of any bod-

ily organ or part.

(2) Services for pregnant women

which are included in the approved

State plan. These services include rou-

tine prenatal care, labor and delivery,

and routine post-partum care. States,

at their option, may provide additional

plan services for the treatment of con-

ditions which may complicate the

pregnancy or delivery.

(c) Effective January 1, 1987, aliens

who are not lawfully admitted for per-

manent residence in the United States

or permanently residing in the United

States under the color of law must re-

ceive the services necessary to treat

the condition defined in paragraph (1)

of this section if—

(1) The alien has, after sudden onset,

a medical condition (including emer-

gency labor and delivery) manifesting

itself by acute symptoms of sufficient

severity (including severe pain) such

that the absence of immediate medical

attention could reasonably be expected

to result in:

rious jeopardy;

functions; or

ily organ or part, and

(2) The alien otherwise meets the re-

quirements in §§ 435.406(c) and 436.406(c)

of this subpart

§ 440.25
to result in:

3 minutes ago, CarlHamilton said:

Ah, now we're talking facts, not fiction.  I think the answer to your question is yes.  Here's why.  The proposed reg excludes from Medicaid benefits, among other things:

"(A) Benefits paid for an emergency medical condition as described in section 1903(v) of
Title XIX of the Social Security Act, 42 U.S.C. 1396b(v), 42 CFR 440.255(c);"

So emergency benefits would be permitted.  But how, you may ask, are these defined?   42 CFR 440.255 states:

"§ 440.255 Limited services available to

certain aliens.

(a)

FFP for services.

FFP is available for services provided to aliens de-

scribed in this section which are nec-

essary to treat an emergency medical

condition as defined in paragraphs

(b)(1) and (c) or services for pregnant

women described in paragraph (b)(2).

(b) Legalized aliens eligible only for

emergency services and services for preg-

nant women. Aliens granted lawful tem-

porary resident status, or lawful per-

manent resident status under sections

245A, 210 or 210A of the Immigration

and Nationality Act, who are not in

one of the exempt groups described in

§§ 435.406(a)(3) and 436.406(a)(3) and who

meet all other requirements for Med-

icaid will be eligible for the following

services—

(1) Emergency services required after

the sudden onset of a medical condition

manifesting itself by acute symptoms

of sufficient severity (including severe

pain) such that the absence of imme-

diate medical attention could reason-

ably be expected to result in:

rious jeopardy;

functions; or

ily organ or part.

(2) Services for pregnant women

which are included in the approved

State plan. These services include rou-

tine prenatal care, labor and delivery,

and routine post-partum care. States,

at their option, may provide additional

plan services for the treatment of con-

ditions which may complicate the

pregnancy or delivery.

(c) Effective January 1, 1987, aliens

who are not lawfully admitted for per-

manent residence in the United States

or permanently residing in the United

States under the color of law must re-

ceive the services necessary to treat

the condition defined in paragraph (1)

of this section if—

(1) The alien has, after sudden onset,

a medical condition (including emer-

gency labor and delivery) manifesting

itself by acute symptoms of sufficient

severity (including severe pain) such

that the absence of immediate medical

attention could reasonably be expected

to result in:

rious jeopardy;

functions; or

ily organ or part, and

(2) The alien otherwise meets the re-

quirements in §§ 435.406(c) and 436.406(c)

of this subpart

§ 440.25
to result in:

Thank you so much! 

I-751 - Pending

Approved - Card Received

Timeline
9 hours ago, Dave&Kal said:

I just did a quick search on google looking for $10,000 bond and didnt have a chance to check the dates. I also saw that news on Sunday but needs more time to look and find it!  But what difference does it make for those who have put their heads in the sand! At the end, somebody is going to say, that was fake news, this is left that is right.... 

You know what, this new rule is GREAT, this administration is EXCELLENT, i mean everything they do is great! Ok? Now be happy and keep your head in the sand and enjoy rest of your life!  There is no point teaching an old dog new tricks! And i dont have more time wasting in here! Be happy with whatever makes you happy! 

You just don't get it, do you?  Read the damn regulation before you spread misinformation.  That's all.  I read it, I know what's in it, I don't rely on third parties to digest it for me.  You do, and your sources are from before the reg was even published.  Read it and then we can talk about it.

Edited by TBoneTX
inflammatory text removed

Timeline
18 minutes ago, KathCali said:

Sorry i can not comment on that but what i have noticed is that the administration by clouding around the subject, try to scare off as many applicans as they can even those who are not subject to the changes, but out of fear, a lot of people are leaving those benefits even though they dont have to!  If i were you would look for legal help ( you can find some free ones if you google) do not put any hopes on answers you get through the forums for such impotant matters. 

2 minutes ago, Dave&Kal said:

Sorry i can not comment on that but what i have noticed is that the administration by clouding around the subject, try to scare off as many applicans as they can even those who are not subject to the changes, but out of fear, a lot of people are leaving those benefits even though they dont have to!  If i were you would look for legal help ( you can find some free ones if you google) do not put any hopes on answers you get through the forums for such impotant matters. 

Thank you! I am also asking my lawyer but wanted to get input here too so I could gather as much info as possible :)

I-751 - Pending

Approved - Card Received

Timeline
27 minutes ago, KathCali said:

Second question: Am I also correct in thinking that if my USC spouse is covered by medicaid but I, the immigrant, am not, that is okay under the new proposal? Or are they still including household members? I read through the whole thing but it was very long and confusing and I'm still unclear on that.

Yes, you are correct.  The public charge determination would pertain to the alien, and the benefits in question would have to be received by the alien:

§ 212.21 Definitions for Public Charge.
For the purposes of 8 CFR 212.20 through 212.24, the following definitions apply:
(a) Public Charge. Public charge means an alien who receives one or more public
benefit, as defined in paragraph (b) of this section.
Needless to say, I'm not giving you legal advice.  But I'm glad we can have a conversation based on what the thing actually says. 
Edited by CarlHamilton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Five posts of a bickering or off-topic nature have been removed.  Calm down, please.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.