893 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
11 hours ago, chiblosom said:

Can someone pls tell me why PR filers have more chances of getting their i130 approved earlier than the U.S citizens? This is very confusing to me.

PD: JULY 25th

It just does not make any sense.  I have no clue. If that is really the case, that is totally wrong.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
17 hours ago, chiblosom said:

Can someone pls tell me why PR filers have more chances of getting their i130 approved earlier than the U.S citizens? This is very confusing to me.

PD: JULY 25th

Not sure where you got this idea, it is totally false.  In fact, LPR filers take longer--2+ years for the spousal visa process from filing an I-130 to interview, because they have to wait for a priority date to be current before they can get CR-1 or IR-1 visa.  USC petitioners do not have to wait.  Even if an LPR's petition was approved earlier than "normal" USC wait times, they still have to wait for their PD to become current before they are eligible to apply for a visa, so it doesn't really matter how long the petition takes as long as it's approved by the 18 month point or so.  Maybe you saw this on the USCIS website for estimated processing times?  Source?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, carmel34 said:

Not sure where you got this idea, it is totally false.  In fact, LPR filers take longer--2+ years for the spousal visa process from filing an I-130 to interview, because they have to wait for a priority date to be current before they can get CR-1 or IR-1 visa.  USC petitioners do not have to wait.  Even if an LPR's petition was approved earlier than "normal" USC wait times, they still have to wait for their PD to become current before they are eligible to apply for a visa, so it doesn't really matter how long the petition takes as long as it's approved by the 18 month point or so.  Maybe you saw this on the USCIS website for estimated processing times?  Source?

The USCIS website says (for example, at TSC) that LPR processing time for the I-130 is 5-7 months while USC processing time for the I-130 is 6.5-8.5 months. For me, the frustration comes from the fact that petitions that have to wait for a current PD date after being approved are being processed faster than ones that are current as soon as they are approved. Since the 1.5 month faster processing time for LPR petitions occurs before their PD date is current (and thus not making a difference to the total wait time) it feels like having LPR petitions process faster than USC petitions is unfair and makes me wonder why USCIS has allocated its resources in a way that allows this to happen. But then again, that's just how I understand it and maybe I'm way off base :) 

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
9 minutes ago, DGF said:

The USCIS website says (for example, at TSC) that LPR processing time for the I-130 is 5-7 months while USC processing time for the I-130 is 6.5-8.5 months. For me, the frustration comes from the fact that petitions that have to wait for a current PD date after being approved are being processed faster than ones that are current as soon as they are approved. Since the 1.5 month faster processing time for LPR petitions occurs before their PD date is current (and thus not making a difference to the total wait time) it feels like having LPR petitions process faster than USC petitions is unfair and makes me wonder why USCIS has allocated its resources in a way that allows this to happen. But then again, that's just how I understand it and maybe I'm way off base :) 

I've never checked LPR processing times for I-130 on USCIS, so if this is true, what you say about 5-7 vs 6.5-8.5 months, I agree that it is crazy and unfair, but not that different than some service centers processing petitions faster than others (e.g., look at Potomac vs Nebraska right now).  My guess is that the LPR petitions are fewer in number, maybe assigned to specific officers, who knows?  They haven't reassigned officers away from LPR petitions to those filed by USCs where an increase in submissions has been greater?  And so they are processed faster right now.  Yes, it makes no sense, but lots of things about USCIS, and in fact, this whole process do not make sense.  Some petitions get approved in 4 or 5 months, others take more than a year?   There's no logic to the entire operation doing things in this way, but that's the way it is, and there's nothing we petitioners who are patiently waiting, can do about it.  I feel your pain, as my husband and I have been patiently waiting for more than 6 months now.  I'm counting the days until I can submit an "out of normal processing time" request to USCIS in a couple of weeks.  Hang in there, our time will come eventually...

Edited by carmel34

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline
5 hours ago, DGF said:

You totally get my point, frustration is an understatement in this process. Am past 6 months now with PD of July 25th and when I call USCIS the rep tells me to wait till August. How much patience do we have to have? The NCV takes about 6 months which means if not approved in the next month or so, we might not be able to unite with our loved ones this year. Again, knowing what I know now, I should have filed with my PR.

Texas Service Center

Estimated Time Range

Permanent resident filing for a spouse or child under 21         -        5 Months to 7 Months

U.S. citizen filing for a spouse, parent, or child under 21          -        6.5 Months to 8.5 Months

Not sure what's going on, but something's not right.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
3 hours ago, roamingromania said:

Texas Service Center

Estimated Time Range

Permanent resident filing for a spouse or child under 21         -        5 Months to 7 Months

U.S. citizen filing for a spouse, parent, or child under 21          -        6.5 Months to 8.5 Months

Not sure what's going on, but something's not right.

I've wondered about this too. The only thing I can think of is that there are less permanent residents filing than US citizens so therefore not as much paperwork to go through and the wait isn't as long

Hey fellow July filers,

I'd be really grateful for some advice. We filed in July 2018 and our NOA1 date was 26th July 2018. Our case is with Potomac Service Center.I can see many people have started getting their NOA2. Should I be expecting ours anytime now? 

I also read somewhere in this thread that Potomac is looking at September 2018 now. Should I be worried that we've not heard anything? 😕

Sadly its a waiting game. The whole thing. Some cases just take a long time and some dont. I wouldn’t get worried if you dont hear anything. We filed on the 1st of July. We just got our response on Wednesday that our case has gone to the NVC. We had online tracking the letter hasn’t actually made it to us yet.

just hang tight. It will happen eventually

23 minutes ago, Stutters said:

Sadly its a waiting game. The whole thing. Some cases just take a long time and some dont. I wouldn’t get worried if you dont hear anything. We filed on the 1st of July. We just got our response on Wednesday that our case has gone to the NVC. We had online tracking the letter hasn’t actually made it to us yet.

just hang tight. It will happen eventually

Thank you for the reassurance and congrats on the progress :) 

So we finally got a letter through from Texas. Took about 4 days to come through. They said that it will take 30 days from the data of the letter to get passed and processed by the NVC then it will be transferred to our counseluate in Switzerland.

they even stated if it takes longer that 30 days. We can Harras them to get it together

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
1 minute ago, Stutters said:

So we finally got a letter through from Texas. Took about 4 days to come through. They said that it will take 30 days from the data of the letter to get passed and processed by the NVC then it will be transferred to our counseluate in Switzerland.

they even stated if it takes longer that 30 days. We can Harras them to get it together

Right, 30 days to get to NVC and if it takes longer you can harrass. Not 30 days to go through NVC. Once NVC receives it they are allowed 8 weeks to process it into their system and assign a case number. I'm on week 4 and still no case number, I call every week. Then once case number is given you can start filing the required documents and pay fees.....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.