IloveDanang

Which is considered the marriage date?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Wife and I got our marriage certificate on 3/8/18 and that date is on the marriage certificate.  But our wedding was on 3/24/18.  So if consulate officer asks "when did you get married?", which date should by wife give as the answer?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 minutes ago, IloveDanang said:

Wife and I got our marriage certificate on 3/8/18 and that date is on the marriage certificate.  But our wedding was on 3/24/18.  So if consulate officer asks "when did you get married?", which date should by wife give as the answer?

Your marriage date is the date on which you were legally married.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

16 minutes ago, IloveDanang said:

I think you might mean that you got a Marriage Licence on 3/8 and you married on 3/24

When you get your marraige Certificate it will say that you were married on 3/24

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Marriage Certificate and Marriage license are often used incorrectly.  So based on my line of work.  I'll try to explain as best as i can.  The license is like the permission granted for you to go and get married.  While the marriage certificate is the done deal after being married.  So if it is the your question is about the marriage certificate,  it's best you get the record amended before filing because you would not want to be in situation where u don't have evidence to support your claim. For eg: wife n husband living in separate county at the time of marriage in this case 3/8/18. While there is no proof of travel from either party ( so how was yhe the wedding done if either person didn't travel) . Or if it is that u already submitted documents with the incorrect date,  the key is consistency... so work with the said date throughout the entire process.  

Timeline
51 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

Getting a marriage certificate doesn’t make you married. It only lets you get married. 

Not exactly.  Getting a marriage "license" allows you to get married.  Actual "marriage certificates" are not available until the legal marriage takes place.  How this paperwork is labeled and handled varies based on location.  In some US States, the marriage license and marriage certificate are parts of the same one page document, but it is not a "marriage certificate" in our context, until the officiator signs, turns in the form and the local jurisdiction issues a certified copy to the couple.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
19 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Not exactly.  Getting a marriage "license" allows you to get married.  Actual "marriage certificates" are not available until the legal marriage takes place.  How this paperwork is labeled and handled varies based on location.  In some US States, the marriage license and marriage certificate are parts of the same one page document, but it is not a "marriage certificate" in our context, until the officiator signs, turns in the form and the local jurisdiction issues a certified copy to the couple.

I just looked at it and it's the Marriage Certificate signed by the chairman/president of the city.  We also got pictures of us holding the certificate with the chairman/president.    I guess my wife can say that we got our marriage certificate on 3/8/18 but had our ceremony and reception on the 24th. 

Timeline
26 minutes ago, IloveDanang said:

I just looked at it and it's the Marriage Certificate signed by the chairman/president of the city.  We also got pictures of us holding the certificate with the chairman/president.    I guess my wife can say that we got our marriage certificate on 3/8/18 but had our ceremony and reception on the 24th. 

What is the date your marriage became legally valid?  That's the important question. If you don't know the answer, find out.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
59 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

I meant license not certificate. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

What is the date your marriage became legally valid?  That's the important question. If you don't know the answer, find out.

By law, it would be the date on the certificate which is the 8th.  That was the date that my attorney used when filing the I-130. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, IloveDanang said:

By law, it would be the date on the certificate which is the 8th.  That was the date that my attorney used when filing the I-130. 

Then I don't understand why you are asking a question you already KNOW the answer to.  If you and your spouse want to celebrate your wedding anniversary on the day of your ceremony, that's your choice to make.  

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
31 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Then I don't understand why you are asking a question you already KNOW the answer to.  If you and your spouse want to celebrate your wedding anniversary on the day of your ceremony, that's your choice to make.  

I just wanted to know how to answer the question if CO asks.  I just didn't want to chance a chance....was wondering if someone had similar experience.  Originally, we were going on 3/24 as the marriage date b/c in vietman, you are "married" according to social norms after the wedding.  Then I saw a different date  on my I-130 and thought about it.  Granted, I should've review it before submitting but I put trust in my attorney.  Lesson learned.  

Timeline
4 hours ago, IloveDanang said:

I just wanted to know how to answer the question if CO asks.  I just didn't want to chance a chance....was wondering if someone had similar experience.  Originally, we were going on 3/24 as the marriage date b/c in vietman, you are "married" according to social norms after the wedding.  Then I saw a different date  on my I-130 and thought about it.  Granted, I should've review it before submitting but I put trust in my attorney.  Lesson learned.  

Social norms are not the criteria for a marriage date in an immigration process.  You were right to go with the date your attorney put on the I-130.  That's your legal marriage date.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

13 hours ago, IloveDanang said:

IMO, your attorney is wrong. Your legal marriage date is the day you two actually said your wedding vows to each other. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

IMO, your attorney is wrong. Your legal marriage date is the day you two actually said your wedding vows to each other. 

That is definitely wrong. I can say my vows to my husband every single day but that doesn't mean we get married again every day. Sounds like OP had a civil wedding with local authorities and then later had a party to celebrate. Emotionally that party was their "real" wedding in their minds but legally the first, civil wedding was. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.