CaseyBorne88

Short notice flight cost.

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone. I’ve been lurking around this site reading and rereading all about the K-1 Visa for the past 2 months. I finally mailed my packet off on 07/09/2018 and today I received my email confirmation that it has been accepted for processing. 

I am really excited that this process has at last gotten started. Time appart is so hard at times so a countdown is a blessing in my eyes. 

Anyways I just wanted to introduce myself and ask one question I have not found while searching the forums. This question is directed to anyone who has had a fiancé come from the Philippines. 

Regarding flight cost: I have always bought airline tickets months in advance because It is much cheaper. Also since I only know from personal experience I have only ever pirchased round trip tickets. I understand that I will have to wait until we get our approval to buy so I am curious what kind of funds I should expect to pay for a short notice one way flight from Manila to New Orleans? Can anyone share what it cost them or give me a ball park figure. I want to be prepared to buy her ticket as soon as we are green lighted. 

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Just go out to your favorite airline website and see what it would cost to book a ticket 1 week from now...

K1 / K2 Visa

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Kyiv, Ukriane

I-129-F mailed to USCIS 2017-11-10

Case Status received (NOA1) by USCIS: 2017-11-14

Check cashed: 2017-11-17

Case Received Email Notification: 2017-11-17

Case status available on myUSCIS: 2017-11-20

NOA1 Hardcopy received by mail: 2017-11-24

NOA2 Approval (204 days): 2018-06-06

Approval status updated on  new website: 2018-06-08

-- no updates on old website, no text, no email --

NOA2 Hardcopy received by mail: 2018-06-12

NVC Case Number Generated (21 days since NOA2): 2018-06-27

Case Left NVC: 2018-07-10 (13 days at NVC)

Case Received by Embassy: 2018-07-12 (2 days travel time!)

Medical Exam: 2018-07-16

Interview: 2018-08-08 (Approved)

Entry: 2018-09-19 (Chicago POE)

Marriage: 2018-10-12

"New" Case Status website: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

"Old" Case Status website: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

No matter when we fly, Denmark to Seattle always runs between $750 (lucky) and $1300 (high season and/or specific days). We've even done tickets two weeks out for about $1,000. You can see what prices are currently 1-2 months out as a benchmark.

Try Google flights to get an idea.   Also consider other flight options.   It was $1400 for my wife to go from Manila to Tijuana a week out.   But it was $150 Manila to Hong Kong and then $ 500 from Hong Kong to Tijuana.

Edited by Paul & Mary
typo

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline

Thanks for the suggestions. Especially looking for alternate routes Individually. That’s something I might consider. I did try the google search a week from now and it was about $1000. Based off the responses I think 1500 would be a good ballpark figure to put away. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

There is another consideration besides the cost.  Your future wife will have to clear immigration in the first airport that she lands in the USA at.  As such you'll want to make sure that her connection time from arriving at that airport until her flight to MSY will be longer than normal to allow for a secondary interview at the Port of Entry to the USA.   The only way she'd clear immigration in MSY would be if she took a direct flight on BA from London or the seasonal flight from Frankfort.  Those might be options if she flew Philippine Airlines to London and changed to BA in London direct to MSY.   Alternatively her flight does not have to be booked thru all the way to MSY so you have the option of actually meeting her at an alternate airport in the USA and maybe staying with her a few nights there before flying on to MSY if you wanted to.  Given she'll likely be flying winter time given your current submission timeline it might be a good opportunity to give her a chance to see snow someplace.  Thinking JFK, EWR or maybe SEA or even SFO and drive East.   In answer to your basic question if you budget $1500 you should be fine for the flight but you have lots of options and it's something you can discuss with her now.

Edited by JE57
Had said drive west from SFO which isn't really possible corrected to Drive East

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Some people found round trip flights were cheaper than one way so bought round trip and didn't use the second flight. Personally I used air miles that I earned on my airline credit card and by doing online surveys through e rewards.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Also worth noting is that your fiancée has six months from the medical to come to the US. Though of course you'll want to be with her as soon as possible, you can probably get things at approximately normal prices (whatever they are for that route at the time of year your fiancée's visa is approved) starting around 3 weeks out. You can probably get a look at pricing trends on your favorite air travel web site. You also might want to look into the relative costs of refundable/flexible date tickets vs short notice tickets.

In my case, the lack of reasonable alternative routes makes things pretty simple. There's one flight from Russia to the western US, and that's from Moscow to LA.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, CaseyBorne88 said:

Hi everyone. I’ve been lurking around this site reading and rereading all about the K-1 Visa for the past 2 months. I finally mailed my packet off on 07/09/2018 and today I received my email confirmation that it has been accepted for processing. 

I am really excited that this process has at last gotten started. Time appart is so hard at times so a countdown is a blessing in my eyes. 

Anyways I just wanted to introduce myself and ask one question I have not found while searching the forums. This question is directed to anyone who has had a fiancé come from the Philippines. 

Regarding flight cost: I have always bought airline tickets months in advance because It is much cheaper. Also since I only know from personal experience I have only ever pirchased round trip tickets. I understand that I will have to wait until we get our approval to buy so I am curious what kind of funds I should expect to pay for a short notice one way flight from Manila to New Orleans? Can anyone share what it cost them or give me a ball park figure. I want to be prepared to buy her ticket as soon as we are green lighted. 

I used ASAP air,

got one way tickets for my wife and daughter for around $800 and me a round  trip as I accompanied them for around $900

Did this on 2 weeks notice

tried the airlines direct but had better luck with ASAP air as they really have good deals to the phils

01/12/17 – I-129F mailed 
01/17/17 – Delivered to lockbox  

01/20/17 - NOA1  

01/27/17 – I-797C arrived via USPS

05/05/17 - NOA2

05/23/17 - NVC Recieve

09/11/17 - Approved at Interview

09/30/17 - Visa in hand

10/17/17 - POE Washington DC

11/11/17 - Married 

01/29/18 - AOS sent via USPS

02/20/18 - TXT and email notification of receipt

09/29/18 - EAD recieved

02/12/19 - Interview Scheduled

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Round trip flights from Houston to Manila, starting September to April, can go as low as $550 to $650 (depending on how long the layover is). I've been researching one-way flights for my own fiance (hoping for December or January to get him here) and they're around $450 to $550 at the lowest. For my next visit to my fiance, I chose a shorter round trip flight (only 17 hours total, woohoo!) in Sept that goes thru Taiwan for only $770.

Since NOLA is only about a 5-hour drive from Houston, maybe you consider Houston as the POE for your fiance.

I've been using www.skyscanner.net to search for these flights (just change the currency settings from UK to US dollar) if you were wanting to do a search yourself.

***K-1 Visa***

NOA1:         03/01/18 (old site)

03/06/18 (new site)

NOA2:         09/04/18

Interview:   12/27/18

Visa Rcvd:   01/09/19

POE Date:    01/27/19

Married:       02/22/19

***Adjustment of Status***

Sent:             03/07/19

NOA1:           03/15/19

Biometrics:  04/11/19

Ready:           04/24/19

EAD/AP:        08/20/19

Card Rcvd:    08/26/19

***Removal of Conditions***

Sent:             11/17/21

NOA1:           11/20/21

24-month Extension: Received

48-month Extension: Received

Approval:     02/20/24

***Naturalization***

Sent:             10/05/23

NOA1:           10/05/23

Biometrics:  10/25/23

Interview:     02/12/24

Oath:             03/27/24

============================================

Case Status Online: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus

Timeline
9 hours ago, CaseyBorne88 said:

Go to https://www.fareboom.com/   They have great comparisons.   Better prices start 3 weeks out.  I like to fly EVA to Philippines as it is the shortest time from Houston.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

The visa, once approved, will be valid for 6 months after the date of the medical exam. So unless you and your fiance are just super eager for them to hop on the plane as soon as they get their visa, the ticket doesn't have to be short notice. My fiance's visa was recently approved and she's not flying to the US until the end of next month. Right now she's training her replacement at work, closing accounts, tidying up some paperwork, etc...

Timeline

Wow. Thank you everyone for the responses. I appreciate all the information. I didn't even consider the POE interview and layover times. Perhaps I will consider driving to Houston and just meeting there. As for all the ticket prices that were quoted, I am surprised because both of my trips were purchased months in advance and both were around $1200. I did shop around as well but I have never seen a round trip ticket from New Orleans/Baton Rouge airport to Manila for under $1000. It most have been the timing? First trip was June 2016. Second was May 2018.

It's also good to know that the Visa is good for 6 months from the date of exam. We are sorta of pining away to be together at this point but we do want to be smart with budgeting the move and following AOS.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 hours ago, CaseyBorne88 said:

We paid $930 for Emirates. Manila to Dubai, Dubai to Dallas, Tx. Then you'd need a connecting flight to New Orleans... but we booked ours like 3-4 days in advance.

There were couple other options for about $960 with Eva air through Taipei.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Expedia?

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.