Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,090 posts in this topic

On 3/25/2019 at 10:52 PM, Sbrisa said:

Alright, I decided to write about my full experience here. I apologize if it's gonna be too long.
I come from Italy and I'm engaged to an American citizen. We sent our petition in December and we got our NOA1 on December the 19th.
I decided to visit him for 2 and a half months since I'm currently unemployed and let's be honest, being apart sucks, so I decided to risk it.
I left 2 days ago and no matter how prepared I was, as soon as I landed and reached customs, I started shaking (thank you social anxiety ❤️).
Anyways, this is what happened:
- Purpose of your visit? I'm here to visit my man
- How long are you gonna stay? I leave on June the 8th
- Have you ever been in the US before? Yes, last year for 3 weeks
- When are you getting married? We don't know yet
- Do you have a job? I'm currently unemployed but I have to be at home by mid/the end of June cause I'll start working again
It was at that point that the officer told me: "Alright, please collect your bags and wait in that room over there". "Here we go..." I thought, but somehow I managed to calm down. I felt doomed but confident at the same time, cause I knew they had no real reason to deny me.
Back to the room, two officers started searching through my bags and they told me to take a seat.
They asked me if I had any money with me and I said around 40$ in cash, they asked my where I was keeping them (biggest bag) and if I was carrying any guns with me, blunt objects or illegal items , which of course I wasn't carrying, so I said "No, none of them".
After a couple minutes, the guy I met at POE (let's call him officer n.1) told me to stand up and get closer. He kept looking at my passport, at me and he kept writing stuff on the computer. He asked me several questions like:
- Have you ever been to the US before? (Again) Yes, last September, from the 29th to the 19th of October
At this point another officer gave him the giant pack of documents I brought with me (complete K-1 application, NOA1 receipt, travel medical insurance, return ticket + itinerary, medical certificate translated, ESTA, etc.) and he only scrolled through the bookmarks I put on each different type of document.
- So, you said you have a boyfriend or fiancé, which one? Fiancé, we got engaged last October while I was visiting
- How long do you intend to stay? (I know, again) I leave on June the 8th and I'll be back in Italy the 9th
- You mentioned something about being back to work in late June...? Yes, I'm currently unemployed but mine it's a seasonal job so we only work during certain periods each year.
- I see. Did you applied for ESTA?  Of course I did, last year before visiting
- Are you gonna marry this guy? Any plans? One day sir for sure, but certainly not now. We can't really make any plans since we are still waiting for our NOA2.
- Right, cause you know you can't get married on this trip. Yes sir, of course not.
- Are you gonna get married in the US? Mmmm, well I know that if you apply for a K-1 you have to marry within 90 days upon arrival in the US so yes, we are gonna get married here.
- Are you gonna celebrate the weddings outside the US? I'm not sure about that, but since my brother can't stand airplanes, we might consider getting married in Italy too cause I'm afraid my brother won't be able to attend the ceremony here.
- You got your NOA1, waiting for NOA2, so what now? What are you gonna do? Well, there's really not much we can do for now. We just need to be patient and wait till we reach the next steps
At that point, another officer showed me my e-cigarette and asked me what kind of liquid was that. I didn't understand what he meant at first so I stared at him with a puzzled look on my face so he asked:"Does this contain marijuana or something?" and I answered:"Oh! No no, no marijuana!" , smiling cause I really didn't expect that kind of question.
Officer n.1 was done and he stamped my passport, but I didn't get to see the stamp so I felt a little dejected cause I really thought it went poorly and it was all my fault for being too nervous.
I was already thinking about having to pack my bags again and have another 9 + 2 hours long fly back home, when one fo them found a notebook I brought with me. He handed it to officer n.1 telling him :"It's in Italian but there's something written in English ". I panicked for a second but then I remembered I left a list I made for the trip. Officer n.1 then asked me:"Did anybody help you organizing this trip?" So I said "No, I'm here by myself so I took care of everything", but then he asked:" Cause I see you wrote "ties to home country" on this sheet" so I told him:"Oh yes, cause before the trip I went on Visa Journey to try and find some infos about which documents I should have brought with me in case I visited while on the K-1 visa ". He was done but the other two officers were still searching through my bags and they found the two copies of my passport (hey you never know! If I lose it at least I have some backups!) so one of them asked:"You've been in Canada?" (I thought: "Oh man, it's a long story PLEASE don't ask anymore questions about it! 😭 I just want to leave!") "Uh yes, in 2013", and FORTUNATELY that was it.
He already had my passport stamped for a while at that point, so I felt like I had nothing to lose anymore and I was mentally swearing at myself for bringing that damned list with me,  BUT... as I wrote in another thread, officer n.1 told me:"You were a little nervous today" (Yes, cause I'm terrified of you guys! 😫) and I answered:"Heh, I know...I'm sorry, I'm just very tired" .....SO..... after an overly dramatic suspance which I did not appreciate, he handed me my passport and said: "You're good to go" and all of a sudden he was smiling and the other two guys turned from badass scary bad cops into friendly buddies you meet at the bar.
Before I left, one of them said:" You're gonna end up on that TLC show... (he meant "90 days fiancé")" so I said:"Oh god no please! Don't even get me started on that... it's just plain stupid" and they all started laughing. Last thing they told me was:"Say hello to your boyfriend!" and then I left.
First thing I did as soon as I was in my fiance's arms, was CRYING and CRYING and CRYING again 😅 but hey, the important thing is that we are together till June now 😍 passport stamped in hand for 90 days (even tho I leave sooner) and the chance to spend time with my man while waiting for NOA2.

Guys, I don't know what to suggest, so if you're patient enough to read the entire story, you can come up with your own conclusions. Based on your personal interpretation, my experience can either discourage you from trying (it is VERY stressful and nerve-wracking) or give you some hope cause in the end, if someone as clumsy and socially awkward as me got to pass, I think there's hope for everybody! 😉
Honesty is thing n.1 you need to "bring with you", even before any document, cause in the end that's the only thing that gets you through.
(Ok, great and professional officers on a lucky day too, but come on now).
Bye! :) Sorry abouth the lenght 😥 

Oh my god this is a sigh of relief! They were okay with just $40 and you weren't employed! Thank you!!! 

18 hours ago, Jamie Solo said:

Hey guys, just thought I'd post my experience of coming to the US to visit my wife via SEATAC Airport, Seattle! Conversation roughly went as follows;

Officer: purpose?

Me: Vacation and visiting wife/her family.

Officer How long you visiting?

Me: 3 weeks.

Officer: You're aware that you can't stay permanently right?

Me: Yep, we're going through the I-130/spouse visa process right now.

Officer: Awesome, just to make sure you don't overstay or anything cause that can severely impact that process and stuff.

Me: Don't worry, nothing is more important to me than making sure all of that stuff is going smoothly right now! 

He then asked me a few questions about where we met and stuff along with how much cash I had with me. He then stamped the approval and let me go on my way! So nice and easy and had no need to pull out any documents or anything I'd prepared 😃

nice! please can you share was this ESTA visit or B1/B2? IF B1/B2 how long were you stamped to stay for ? i mean did they put an exit by this date stamp on your i94 on passport? 

Thanks

3 hours ago, gbhj said:

nice! please can you share was this ESTA visit or B1/B2? IF B1/B2 how long were you stamped to stay for ? i mean did they put an exit by this date stamp on your i94 on passport? 

Thanks

No problem! I visited under an ESTA and was stamped to stay for up to 90 days as usual under an ESTA (at least in my experience).

Hello!

My Fiance have submited  the  forms for  my k1 via last weekend  and we have planned that I visit him this November for just a week. We estimate to receive  the NOA2 in december if everything goes well.  I've been reading some experiences here  and  looks like people who planned to stay for months were asked most questions and had to talk with the officers for longer time.

Since I'm staying just for a week is it necessary that I mention to the officer that   I am  in  K1 visa process? Should I bring some evidence of that?

10 minutes ago, maria002 said:

Hello!

My Fiance have submited  the  forms for  my k1 via last weekend  and we have planned that I visit him this November for just a week. We estimate to receive  the NOA2 in december if everything goes well.  I've been reading some experiences here  and  looks like people who planned to stay for months were asked most questions and had to talk with the officers for longer time.

Since I'm staying just for a week is it necessary that I mention to the officer that   I am  in  K1 visa process? Should I bring some evidence of that?

I wouldn't mention k1 visa unless they ask.

Just answer their questions - so if they ask purpose of visit - its vacation. If they ask who you are visiting/staying with then you answer fiance. At that point they'll probably ask if fiance is American, and if so ask are you planning to get married, or that you know you can't get married during the trip. That's the time to mention that you're in the k1 process, you know the rules, and won't do anything to jeopardize the k1. The K1 shows you're doing things properly, and it would be unusual to have a problem once they learn you have that in progress.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.