Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can visit, obviously not work.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello!  ( i-130 spouse pending traveling on b1/b2)

I am hoping if someone could maybe help me by sharing an experience or some professional input regarding my travel plan to US.

I am a beneficiary to i-130 spouse petition filled in April, for which i have so far received NOA1 and waiting for approval. I have recently given interview and secured b1/b2 multiple entry 10 year visa to travel to US for  which during my interview i gave reason for travel/purpose attending a wedding .

1. i have bought a return ticket for a time span of 4 months , i was hoping if anyone could share their CBP experience, if anyone else had a petition pending and went with a long time span return ticket...( what kind of questions or documents were asked and so on ).. also since the wedding i am going to gets done in about 20 days can i face problem by telling CBP i want to spend the thanks giving and new year with friend and family 

2, in my ds-160 i mentioned i will be going for 20 days but since i have changed my plans and extended my stay to 4 months .. will this be smething that could land me in trouble with CBP??

3. Since i got a good deal on the return ticket with a clause that cancellation or date change will attract heavy penalty , is it fine to have 2 return tickets i.e incase if i have to buy an early retrun date ticket ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 10:00 AM, gbhj said:

Hello!  ( i-130 spouse pending traveling on b1/b2)

I am hoping if someone could maybe help me by sharing an experience or some professional input regarding my travel plan to US.

I am a beneficiary to i-130 spouse petition filled in April, for which i have so far received NOA1 and waiting for approval. I have recently given interview and secured b1/b2 multiple entry 10 year visa to travel to US for  which during my interview i gave reason for travel/purpose attending a wedding .

1. i have bought a return ticket for a time span of 4 months , i was hoping if anyone could share their CBP experience, if anyone else had a petition pending and went with a long time span return ticket...( what kind of questions or documents were asked and so on ).. also since the wedding i am going to gets done in about 20 days can i face problem by telling CBP i want to spend the thanks giving and new year with friend and family 

2, in my ds-160 i mentioned i will be going for 20 days but since i have changed my plans and extended my stay to 4 months .. will this be smething that could land me in trouble with CBP??

3. Since i got a good deal on the return ticket with a clause that cancellation or date change will attract heavy penalty , is it fine to have 2 return tickets i.e incase if i have to buy an early retrun date ticket ?

Going through the same stuff as you right now but mine is a 78 day visit so 2.5 month. I think 4 months will raise a flag, most definitely land you in secondary. The best thing you can do is get a employment letter saying "Yeah we welcome ____ back then" and a healthy bank balance. I'm freaking out cause my boss told me he's okay with me leaving for that period and my job is safe but they won't write me a letter and I don't know if 1k is enough for 2.5 months (even though my expenses are so small, airbnb booked, wife earns $13 a hour and will be working while I'm there.)

I just want some information on what experience in secondary is like.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hey guys, just thought I'd post my experience of coming to the US to visit my wife via SEATAC Airport, Seattle! Conversation roughly went as follows;

Officer: purpose?

Me: Vacation and visiting wife/her family.

Officer How long you visiting?

Me: 3 weeks.

Officer: You're aware that you can't stay permanently right?

Me: Yep, we're going through the I-130/spouse visa process right now.

Officer: Awesome, just to make sure you don't overstay or anything cause that can severely impact that process and stuff.

Me: Don't worry, nothing is more important to me than making sure all of that stuff is going smoothly right now! 

He then asked me a few questions about where we met and stuff along with how much cash I had with me. He then stamped the approval and let me go on my way! So nice and easy and had no need to pull out any documents or anything I'd prepared 😃

5 hours ago, Jamie Solo said:

Hey guys, just thought I'd post my experience of coming to the US to visit my wife via SEATAC Airport, Seattle! Conversation roughly went as follows;

Officer: Awesome, just to make sure you don't overstay or anything cause that can severely impact that process and stuff.

Me: Don't worry, nothing is more important to me than making sure all of that stuff is going smoothly right now! 

He then asked me a few questions about where we met and stuff along with how much cash I had with me. He then stamped the approval and let me go on my way! So nice and easy and had no need to pull out any documents or anything I'd prepared 😃

I don't think they even care that much as long as its under a certain time frame. I stayed for 3 weeks, the guy asked me quite a few questions but seemed more annoyed that my fingerprints weren't working than anything lol.

I don't think you should worry until you start staying 1.5 - 3 months.

On 3/25/2019 at 10:52 PM, Sbrisa said:

Alright, I decided to write about my full experience here. I apologize if it's gonna be too long.
I come from Italy and I'm engaged to an American citizen. We sent our petition in December and we got our NOA1 on December the 19th.
I decided to visit him for 2 and a half months since I'm currently unemployed and let's be honest, being apart sucks, so I decided to risk it.
I left 2 days ago and no matter how prepared I was, as soon as I landed and reached customs, I started shaking (thank you social anxiety ❤️).
Anyways, this is what happened:
- Purpose of your visit? I'm here to visit my man
- How long are you gonna stay? I leave on June the 8th
- Have you ever been in the US before? Yes, last year for 3 weeks
- When are you getting married? We don't know yet
- Do you have a job? I'm currently unemployed but I have to be at home by mid/the end of June cause I'll start working again
It was at that point that the officer told me: "Alright, please collect your bags and wait in that room over there". "Here we go..." I thought, but somehow I managed to calm down. I felt doomed but confident at the same time, cause I knew they had no real reason to deny me.
Back to the room, two officers started searching through my bags and they told me to take a seat.
They asked me if I had any money with me and I said around 40$ in cash, they asked my where I was keeping them (biggest bag) and if I was carrying any guns with me, blunt objects or illegal items , which of course I wasn't carrying, so I said "No, none of them".
After a couple minutes, the guy I met at POE (let's call him officer n.1) told me to stand up and get closer. He kept looking at my passport, at me and he kept writing stuff on the computer. He asked me several questions like:
- Have you ever been to the US before? (Again) Yes, last September, from the 29th to the 19th of October
At this point another officer gave him the giant pack of documents I brought with me (complete K-1 application, NOA1 receipt, travel medical insurance, return ticket + itinerary, medical certificate translated, ESTA, etc.) and he only scrolled through the bookmarks I put on each different type of document.
- So, you said you have a boyfriend or fiancé, which one? Fiancé, we got engaged last October while I was visiting
- How long do you intend to stay? (I know, again) I leave on June the 8th and I'll be back in Italy the 9th
- You mentioned something about being back to work in late June...? Yes, I'm currently unemployed but mine it's a seasonal job so we only work during certain periods each year.
- I see. Did you applied for ESTA?  Of course I did, last year before visiting
- Are you gonna marry this guy? Any plans? One day sir for sure, but certainly not now. We can't really make any plans since we are still waiting for our NOA2.
- Right, cause you know you can't get married on this trip. Yes sir, of course not.
- Are you gonna get married in the US? Mmmm, well I know that if you apply for a K-1 you have to marry within 90 days upon arrival in the US so yes, we are gonna get married here.
- Are you gonna celebrate the weddings outside the US? I'm not sure about that, but since my brother can't stand airplanes, we might consider getting married in Italy too cause I'm afraid my brother won't be able to attend the ceremony here.
- You got your NOA1, waiting for NOA2, so what now? What are you gonna do? Well, there's really not much we can do for now. We just need to be patient and wait till we reach the next steps
At that point, another officer showed me my e-cigarette and asked me what kind of liquid was that. I didn't understand what he meant at first so I stared at him with a puzzled look on my face so he asked:"Does this contain marijuana or something?" and I answered:"Oh! No no, no marijuana!" , smiling cause I really didn't expect that kind of question.
Officer n.1 was done and he stamped my passport, but I didn't get to see the stamp so I felt a little dejected cause I really thought it went poorly and it was all my fault for being too nervous.
I was already thinking about having to pack my bags again and have another 9 + 2 hours long fly back home, when one fo them found a notebook I brought with me. He handed it to officer n.1 telling him :"It's in Italian but there's something written in English ". I panicked for a second but then I remembered I left a list I made for the trip. Officer n.1 then asked me:"Did anybody help you organizing this trip?" So I said "No, I'm here by myself so I took care of everything", but then he asked:" Cause I see you wrote "ties to home country" on this sheet" so I told him:"Oh yes, cause before the trip I went on Visa Journey to try and find some infos about which documents I should have brought with me in case I visited while on the K-1 visa ". He was done but the other two officers were still searching through my bags and they found the two copies of my passport (hey you never know! If I lose it at least I have some backups!) so one of them asked:"You've been in Canada?" (I thought: "Oh man, it's a long story PLEASE don't ask anymore questions about it! 😭 I just want to leave!") "Uh yes, in 2013", and FORTUNATELY that was it.
He already had my passport stamped for a while at that point, so I felt like I had nothing to lose anymore and I was mentally swearing at myself for bringing that damned list with me,  BUT... as I wrote in another thread, officer n.1 told me:"You were a little nervous today" (Yes, cause I'm terrified of you guys! 😫) and I answered:"Heh, I know...I'm sorry, I'm just very tired" .....SO..... after an overly dramatic suspance which I did not appreciate, he handed me my passport and said: "You're good to go" and all of a sudden he was smiling and the other two guys turned from badass scary bad cops into friendly buddies you meet at the bar.
Before I left, one of them said:" You're gonna end up on that TLC show... (he meant "90 days fiancé")" so I said:"Oh god no please! Don't even get me started on that... it's just plain stupid" and they all started laughing. Last thing they told me was:"Say hello to your boyfriend!" and then I left.
First thing I did as soon as I was in my fiance's arms, was CRYING and CRYING and CRYING again 😅 but hey, the important thing is that we are together till June now 😍 passport stamped in hand for 90 days (even tho I leave sooner) and the chance to spend time with my man while waiting for NOA2.

Guys, I don't know what to suggest, so if you're patient enough to read the entire story, you can come up with your own conclusions. Based on your personal interpretation, my experience can either discourage you from trying (it is VERY stressful and nerve-wracking) or give you some hope cause in the end, if someone as clumsy and socially awkward as me got to pass, I think there's hope for everybody! 😉
Honesty is thing n.1 you need to "bring with you", even before any document, cause in the end that's the only thing that gets you through.
(Ok, great and professional officers on a lucky day too, but come on now).
Bye! :) Sorry abouth the lenght 😥 

Oh my god this is a sigh of relief! They were okay with just $40 and you weren't employed! Thank you!!! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
18 hours ago, Jamie Solo said:

nice! please can you share was this ESTA visit or B1/B2? IF B1/B2 how long were you stamped to stay for ? i mean did they put an exit by this date stamp on your i94 on passport? 

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 hours ago, gbhj said:

nice! please can you share was this ESTA visit or B1/B2? IF B1/B2 how long were you stamped to stay for ? i mean did they put an exit by this date stamp on your i94 on passport? 

Thanks

No problem! I visited under an ESTA and was stamped to stay for up to 90 days as usual under an ESTA (at least in my experience).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello!

My Fiance have submited  the  forms for  my k1 via last weekend  and we have planned that I visit him this November for just a week. We estimate to receive  the NOA2 in december if everything goes well.  I've been reading some experiences here  and  looks like people who planned to stay for months were asked most questions and had to talk with the officers for longer time.

Since I'm staying just for a week is it necessary that I mention to the officer that   I am  in  K1 visa process? Should I bring some evidence of that?

K1

08/24/2019: I-129F Mailed

08/26/2019: NOA1 Text Message

12/13/2019: NOA2 (through tracking app)

AOS

08/08/20 Documents sent

08/27/20 Check cashed

08/31/20 SMS received

09/08/20 NOA received

event.png

10 minutes ago, maria002 said:

Hello!

My Fiance have submited  the  forms for  my k1 via last weekend  and we have planned that I visit him this November for just a week. We estimate to receive  the NOA2 in december if everything goes well.  I've been reading some experiences here  and  looks like people who planned to stay for months were asked most questions and had to talk with the officers for longer time.

Since I'm staying just for a week is it necessary that I mention to the officer that   I am  in  K1 visa process? Should I bring some evidence of that?

I wouldn't mention k1 visa unless they ask.

Just answer their questions - so if they ask purpose of visit - its vacation. If they ask who you are visiting/staying with then you answer fiance. At that point they'll probably ask if fiance is American, and if so ask are you planning to get married, or that you know you can't get married during the trip. That's the time to mention that you're in the k1 process, you know the rules, and won't do anything to jeopardize the k1. The K1 shows you're doing things properly, and it would be unusual to have a problem once they learn you have that in progress.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

• 4 weeks later...

I have a NOA1, I'm visiting in 20 days (11th October) until December 28th. Long visit. I'll notify you guys on how it goes then but I'm sure I'll get pulled into secondary. My job is seasonal and very on and off, people order less wooden floors in the winter it seems, not a big christmas present so its a lot of downtime then, lots of people out of a job for my company and I have to work agency but I have nothing to prove my employment. I won't have a lot of money (my wife makes $12 a hour so I wasnt really concerned about being okay wealth wise especially as I've booked everything) and I'm undergoing the visa!

Fingers crossed for myself.

On 9/21/2019 at 7:51 PM, ohcoffeeeyes said:

I have a NOA1, I'm visiting in 20 days (11th October) until December 28th. Long visit. I'll notify you guys on how it goes then but I'm sure I'll get pulled into secondary. My job is seasonal and very on and off, people order less wooden floors in the winter it seems, not a big christmas present so its a lot of downtime then, lots of people out of a job for my company and I have to work agency but I have nothing to prove my employment. I won't have a lot of money (my wife makes $12 a hour so I wasnt really concerned about being okay wealth wise especially as I've booked everything) and I'm undergoing the visa!

Fingers crossed for myself.

A lot is going to depend on whether you've made other visits recently and of course what kind of day the immigration officers are having.

From my experience I had very little questioning when I made a 6 week trip just a few weeks after my first (2 week) trip. I got more problems the next year making my 4th trip, which was just a month or so after my 3rd trip (both of these were only 4 weeks or so). They let me in after some questioning.

Things that help show you're going to return home

1) the NOA1 (shows you're doing things the right way)

2) car keys from your car in the UK (I mean, if you're moving for good, you'd sell it, right?). Also they are something you'd likely be carrying, it doesn't look like you bought them along to prove a point

3) proof of any future plans in UK (dentist appointment etc). Before I moved to USA I was regularly visiting my brother who lives in Portugal - I'd often book up my next flight to Portugal prior to my US trip, so I could show the flight itineraries for that as proof I was going to be going back to UK.

Also, I'd look at planning some things to do/travel for your time in the USA. I was lectured about it being a "tourist" visa, not a "visiting my girlfriend" visa. Its useful if you can show that you've got a trip or two planned, or concert tickets, football game, etc.

Be sure to update us as to how you get on - good luck!

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
On 8/27/2019 at 3:36 PM, ohcoffeeeyes said:

Oh my god this is a sigh of relief! They were okay with just $40 and you weren't employed! Thank you!!! 

Looking back, I think I've been VERY lucky in the end! Just to clarify, I had $40 in my bag but I also had my bank debit card and a prepaid card with money in it :) they simply didn't ask further questions about money. ALWAYS carry money with you, either on debit/credit or change. Is not advisable to go to the States with empty pockets.

K-1 Fiancè Visa

• I-129F

NOA1: 2018-12-19
NOA2: 2019-03-29
NVC: 2019-04-30
Consulate & Packet 3: 2019-05-08

Interview Date : 2019-11-05  APPROVED!
Visa Received : 2019-11-07
US Entry: 2019-12-13
Marriage: 2020-02-20 YAY!!

• AOS

AOS/EAD/AP sent: 2020-03-10

Biometrics: 2020-08-07

EAD: 2020-07-11  APPROVED

Timeline

Hello,

We are in the later stages of the K1 process. NOA2 received late July, NVC email early September and case "Ready" on September 10. I, the Alien fiancé, am now waiting to hear from the US Embassy. We are not in a big rush to get the visa as I have a big project coming up with work (I have a permanent position at a French company) next May that I want to see through and my fiancé is able to come visit me in France in the meantime. However, I am in a bit of a peculiar situation as my work directly requires me to travel, including in the US, which I have been doing on an ESTA and is also a reason why we will slightly delay getting the K1 visa.

I have visited the US last August-September. I landed in NYC on August 21st, had no issue at the airport -  went through the ESTA machines as I did on my previous trips, brought my paper to the officer, who was very nice. Upon him asking, I said I was visiting for both leisure and business, which was the case. I was not asked to give more details except what kind of job I do (I work in film/entertainment and in early September it is quite important to spend some business time in North America, as a result of Toronto Film Festival especially). I spent one week off in NYC with my fiancé, then had a week of many business meetings with partners/clients of the company I work for, discussing projects and potential contracts. I then had to go to Toronto for 5 days for the film festival. I returned to NYC on September 10, as I had a few meetings left and also wanted to spend the weekend with my fiancé before leaving for good a week later (so a total of 3 weeks in the US, including 2 weeks of business meetings, 1 week of vacation). However,  upon leaving Toronto my passport was no recognized in the ESTA machine, there was an error and I was requested to queue. The officer was quite tough, asking me why I was coming back to NYC after having spent already 2 weeks there. I explained that my job took me there, showed him my business card and that was enough. Still, I did not understand why the ESTA scan machine did not work and I am now wondering if it could be related to my Visa case having been updated to "Ready" earlier that day and thus creating a glitch with the ESTA? Is this possible?

Now, I am bit worried as I have to go back to NYC for a week of meeting soon, basically 3 weeks after last departing the US. I will stay for a total of 11 days and sleep at my fiancé's apartment. However, during the week I will have a full schedule of business meetings with company's partners. I am afraid I will be taken aside at the airport as I was there not long ago and since there was that problem in Toronto with the ESTA machine. What should I say to the airport officer? That I am coming for business meetings only? That I am coming for business and seeing my fiancé during the weekend and my off-nights? I want to make sure I am being truthful and following the rules. Basically, I intend to marry and move to the US but not before at least a year, so that I can finish this big project with work that I am very excited about. I was thinking of bringing:

- Full schedule of business meetings with full names, company details, phone number and email addresses of the persons I am meeting with
- Letter from my company's CEO stating I am a permanent employee based in Paris, that I am on a business trip in NYC from (date) to (date) and am expected back in office at (date)

- Salary Slips from the past 3 months
- Copies of profiles written about me / my company in professional publications / trade magazines to show that I have a good career in France
- Copy of return flight 

- Copy of phone bills / health insurance bills 

- Copy of NOA1 / NOA2 / NVC email

=> Is that enough to prove my ties to France, that I am just there for business with a side of pleasure (seeing my fiancé on my few, free moments) and that I intend to come to marry legally to the US only in a more distant future?

I am really anxious person who likes to follow procedures as best as I can. I just want to make sure I am putting all chances on my side and doing things right. Any comment or piece of advice would be greatly appreciated. My apology for the long message!

Edited by emm1990

On 9/29/2019 at 1:32 AM, emm1990 said:

Hello,

We are in the later stages of the K1 process. NOA2 received late July, NVC email early September and case "Ready" on September 10. I, the Alien fiancé, am now waiting to hear from the US Embassy. We are not in a big rush to get the visa as I have a big project coming up with work (I have a permanent position at a French company) next May that I want to see through and my fiancé is able to come visit me in France in the meantime. However, I am in a bit of a peculiar situation as my work directly requires me to travel, including in the US, which I have been doing on an ESTA and is also a reason why we will slightly delay getting the K1 visa.

I have visited the US last August-September. I landed in NYC on August 21st, had no issue at the airport -  went through the ESTA machines as I did on my previous trips, brought my paper to the officer, who was very nice. Upon him asking, I said I was visiting for both leisure and business, which was the case. I was not asked to give more details except what kind of job I do (I work in film/entertainment and in early September it is quite important to spend some business time in North America, as a result of Toronto Film Festival especially). I spent one week off in NYC with my fiancé, then had a week of many business meetings with partners/clients of the company I work for, discussing projects and potential contracts. I then had to go to Toronto for 5 days for the film festival. I returned to NYC on September 10, as I had a few meetings left and also wanted to spend the weekend with my fiancé before leaving for good a week later (so a total of 3 weeks in the US, including 2 weeks of business meetings, 1 week of vacation). However,  upon leaving Toronto my passport was no recognized in the ESTA machine, there was an error and I was requested to queue. The officer was quite tough, asking me why I was coming back to NYC after having spent already 2 weeks there. I explained that my job took me there, showed him my business card and that was enough. Still, I did not understand why the ESTA scan machine did not work and I am now wondering if it could be related to my Visa case having been updated to "Ready" earlier that day and thus creating a glitch with the ESTA? Is this possible?

Now, I am bit worried as I have to go back to NYC for a week of meeting soon, basically 3 weeks after last departing the US. I will stay for a total of 11 days and sleep at my fiancé's apartment. However, during the week I will have a full schedule of business meetings with company's partners. I am afraid I will be taken aside at the airport as I was there not long ago and since there was that problem in Toronto with the ESTA machine. What should I say to the airport officer? That I am coming for business meetings only? That I am coming for business and seeing my fiancé during the weekend and my off-nights? I want to make sure I am being truthful and following the rules. Basically, I intend to marry and move to the US but not before at least a year, so that I can finish this big project with work that I am very excited about. I was thinking of bringing:

- Full schedule of business meetings with full names, company details, phone number and email addresses of the persons I am meeting with
- Letter from my company's CEO stating I am a permanent employee based in Paris, that I am on a business trip in NYC from (date) to (date) and am expected back in office at (date)

- Salary Slips from the past 3 months
- Copies of profiles written about me / my company in professional publications / trade magazines to show that I have a good career in France
- Copy of return flight 

- Copy of phone bills / health insurance bills 

- Copy of NOA1 / NOA2 / NVC email

=> Is that enough to prove my ties to France, that I am just there for business with a side of pleasure (seeing my fiancé on my few, free moments) and that I intend to come to marry legally to the US only in a more distant future?

I am really anxious person who likes to follow procedures as best as I can. I just want to make sure I am putting all chances on my side and doing things right. Any comment or piece of advice would be greatly appreciated. My apology for the long message!

Not getting denied entry for an 11 day situation. The officer doesn't want to deal with that. The general rule is, use the time you stayed as an estimate, e.g you stayed a month, wait atleast a month before you retry to go back. Though it will look weird you're just overthinking.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.