1,939 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Just now, Ana Maria said:

Yes, I understand this.

However, I cant use the NOA 1 to extend the NC ID/License.. it has no residency authority. Nor, do I believe it guarantees anything.

I think they call that ...."being in limbo"....hahaha

The question was regarding NC DMV requirements.

Dude at DMV says he needs another document from USCIS with an expiration date - extending legal residency.

I assume that is a temp. green card extending residency for another period of time.

For DMV- yes, you are correct
Each state has the right to dictate what documents they want as "proof of residency." Some states will allow an AOS NOA1... 

Though I will add that even if you have GC, am now hearing that the new administration has made it so that when one goes to DMV, they go through a "DHS verification" process.
It's quite a pain, wastes your time, but pretty harmless if one is here legally.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
1 hour ago, emekus94 said:

This is incorrect.

Once you file for AOS, your NOA1 replaces your I-94. THAT is proof of legal status.
You have a pending application with USCIS so you are in status legally. 

Imagine the horror for those that wait almost 2 years for a GC to be here "out of status" the entire time because I-94 is valid for only 90 days. 

You are only "out of status" for the time between when your I-94 expires and when you file AOS and technically receive your NOA1

I am sorry but I have to contradict you. If you read the NOA1 it says it doesn't grand you any immigration benefit. Once the I-94 expires in the case of K1 we are basically out of status and if I remember correctly I read it somewhere (can't find it now) that the attorney general basically grants permission for you to stay while your adjustment of status is pending. If you would have like H1B or any other legal status ad you could  maintain it (if you meet the conditions of that status) while your AOS is pending that would be your legal status....

That's why we can't get a state id, or driver's license etc until we receive the EAD which has a legal expiration date.

And yes, if I am not mistaken whom are waiting 2 years for a greencard they are basically out of status, I think, but protected from deportation and they benefit the AP and EAD if they applied for it....

Maybe somebody with more experience can correct what i wrote if it is not correct.

Timeline
2 hours ago, ineedadisplayname said:

I am sorry but I have to contradict you. If you read the NOA1 it says it doesn't grand you any immigration benefit. Once the I-94 expires in the case of K1 we are basically out of status and if I remember correctly I read it somewhere (can't find it now) that the attorney general basically grants permission for you to stay while your adjustment of status is pending. If you would have like H1B or any other legal status ad you could  maintain it (if you meet the conditions of that status) while your AOS is pending that would be your legal status....

That's why we can't get a state id, or driver's license etc until we receive the EAD which has a legal expiration date.

And yes, if I am not mistaken whom are waiting 2 years for a greencard they are basically out of status, I think, but protected from deportation and they benefit the AP and EAD if they applied for it....

Maybe somebody with more experience can correct what i wrote if it is not correct.

hmmmm this is def intriguing. I now want to know what is happening.

Let me get some experts on this - @Roel @missileman@geowrian? What are your thoughts
Cuz I was under the assumption that with your AOS, you don't accrue any "out of status" time- hence the reason why it is "advised" to file AOS paperwork whilst I-94 is still valid.

Because I don't understand why some states would let you get a State ID and License if you're "out of status"
That's the whole point of going through DHS and having "your presence verified"...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
2 minutes ago, emekus94 said:

Let me get some experts on this - @Roel @missileman@geowrian? What are your thoughts
Cuz I was under the assumption that with your AOS, you don't accrue any "out of status" time- hence the reason why it is "advised" to file AOS paperwork whilst I-94 is still valid.

Because I don't understand why some states would let you get a State ID and License if you're "out of status"
That's the whole point of going through DHS and having "your presence verified"...

I would like to know that too. Also I would like to get an US driver's license since I am slowly running out of the I-94's validity.... And not sure how long I am going to be able to drive on my foreign license.

When I went to get a state ID (talked with a supervisor too) they told me that they can't do anything with the NOA1 because it doesn't grant anything, and my only legal status is the I-94.

Will try to go to a different DMV  (highway patrol office?) and see if I can find out anything more. When I went there they wanted an EAD or green card.... She said about other documents but even after asking like twice she didn't elaborate on what other documents I could use to get a driver's license, but she was not happy with the NOA1 for sure....

9 minutes ago, emekus94 said:

There's 2 aspects here:

1) Legal status

2) Unlawful presence

Legal status would expire with your I-94...90 days for a K-1 entrant.

Unlawful presence starts accruing after the I-94 expires and you don't have any form of authorized stay. Filing for AOS grants a period of authorized stay.

So as far as USCIS is concerned, you would not accrue unlawful presence while AOS is pending. DOS (embassies/consulates) can be a bit more of a question mark...

State IDs are a state issue, not federal one. Some states issue state IDs or drivers licenses to people who never had a status (EWI).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
39 minutes ago, ineedadisplayname said:

I would like to know that too. Also I would like to get an US driver's license since I am slowly running out of the I-94's validity.... And not sure how long I am going to be able to drive on my foreign license.

When I went to get a state ID (talked with a supervisor too) they told me that they can't do anything with the NOA1 because it doesn't grant anything, and my only legal status is the I-94.

Will try to go to a different DMV  (highway patrol office?) and see if I can find out anything more. When I went there they wanted an EAD or green card.... She said about other documents but even after asking like twice she didn't elaborate on what other documents I could use to get a driver's license, but she was not happy with the NOA1 for sure....

The driver license thing is state specific-
in Texas, you CAN get a license with a pending NOA1- it's complicated but definitely possible.
I know states like Cal, you cannot. Not sure where your state falls on that spectrum. 

Lowkey this is one of the HIGH limitations of the K1 visa and with more delays in processing even for a simple EAD, this Visa is basically becoming obsolete-- unless you're like a same-sex couple whose country does not allow same sex-marriages and therefore this is ur only choice kinda thing. It indeed is exhausting

Geowrian has graciously explained the "presence" component above

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
13 hours ago, ashleykay said:

Do you think I’d be able to do this without having any response from USCIS yet? 

I have the confirmation # from my expedite request but I don’t have any notice of needing further evidence yet but want to get on top of it. 

I think you should wait for 5 business days after you filed for the expedition. If you don't hear from USCIS, you can contact the congressman or senator and they might be able to pass along your docs to USCIS.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I got a USPS priority mail coming my way With tracking details .

Anyone here who knows what USCIS ships from Ohio, Dayton to be precise ? This event might be triggered by the below preceding event . 

So I did call USCIS to expedite my EAD card on the 29th and I also went to the congressman John Lewis’ office that same day . The office sent me an email that my items have been forwarded. 

Although I have a limited knowledge of the process I don’t think this could be the card since they are usually shipped from Kentucky. 

Timeline

RFE is also a possibility since my status hasn’t changed to we are ready to schedule you for an interview. I wouldn’t be surprised anyway since I was expecting one in the first place(I am just a pessimist lol . Not that I forgot to add something )

Timeline

Well I called USCIS and they said it’s also not from them 

USPS 94001**************** Latest Status: Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item 08/31/2018 5:14am DAYTON OH 45439 Reply STOP to cancel 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

I need to vent about something completely unrelated but am sure some people on here deal with.  My husband comes from a country where both paternal and maternal surnames are used.  So when my husband got here and applied for SSN they said they had to use the name on his Spanish passport (paternal/maternal combo).  I said fine.  Now i am dealing with an error on his health insurance card.  They believe his paternal last name was his middle name and decided to initial it.  It was an easy fix with them but i know that i will seriously have to deal with this for a long time.  

Again completely unrelated.  Just needed to vent!  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
12 minutes ago, DPP123 said:

I need to vent about something completely unrelated but am sure some people on here deal with.  My husband comes from a country where both paternal and maternal surnames are used.  So when my husband got here and applied for SSN they said they had to use the name on his Spanish passport (paternal/maternal combo).  I said fine.  Now i am dealing with an error on his health insurance card.  They believe his paternal last name was his middle name and decided to initial it.  It was an easy fix with them but i know that i will seriously have to deal with this for a long time.  

Again completely unrelated.  Just needed to vent!  

We know that struggle well. We constantly have to reiterate that his full name has to be used! So we make sure his middle name is on all of his documents as well as both last names. But I've got a unique situation that I'd like to get your opinion on. 

So John's father's name was paternal/maternal. John took his fathers combo and does not have his mother's name at all. SO when I change my name what would be my last name? John is so casual and just tells me to pick on LOL :D I personally like the ring of the paternal last name but should I just take the full combo? 

Lol forgive my naiveté but he's no help lol 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
Just now, John and Janay said:

We know that struggle well. We constantly have to reiterate that his full name has to be used! So we make sure his middle name is on all of his documents as well as both last names. But I've got a unique situation that I'd like to get your opinion on. 

So John's father's name was paternal/maternal. John took his fathers combo and does not have his mother's name at all. SO when I change my name what would be my last name? John is so casual and just tells me to pick on LOL :D I personally like the ring of the paternal last name but should I just take the full combo? 

Lol forgive my naiveté but he's no help lol 

that's a great question.  When i was born my father said... the girl gets a first name and a last name.  (his name of course)  lol  He said more than that would be confusing.  

I have never wanted to change my name (it's a personal decision and not what this post is about)  I respect any woman that does.  

However, if i had to, I would take the paternal.  In my father's words... "too many names are confusing"   I think that in every country, the paternal is the one "that counts"  I hope that helps.  

Timeline
22 hours ago, Ana Maria said:

One year, that's great!

We did biometrics today, took 26 minutes...hahaha. fast and painless (no waiting).  Now will wait for the notice for the interview, I guess?

Then we went straight to DMV for Ana to take the Driving Permit Test on computer...she finally said she was ready.

But, she failed after 12 questions. It was hard she said - very different from the online testing quizes...said they showed photos of intersections and asked questions and some other obscure questions.

Anyway - she has some experience now on what to expect and I swear they make the first attempt test harder than the follow-ups.

I told her no problem, we will go back tomorrow and try again.  We will go back every day until the 8th of September or until she passes - I figure she can make 6 more attempts...hahaha

stay tuned.....

good luck to, John!

rs

HA. I think John is will be the same. He's been practicing on line, but we'll see. lol.

But no worries, Ana will have a license and her green card before Christmas.. NC is going full speed ahead with interviews! 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, DPP123 said:

that's a great question.  When i was born my father said... the girl gets a first name and a last name.  (his name of course)  lol  He said more than that would be confusing.  

I have never wanted to change my name (it's a personal decision and not what this post is about)  I respect any woman that does.  

However, if i had to, I would take the paternal.  In my father's words... "too many names are confusing"   I think that in every country, the paternal is the one "that counts"  I hope that helps.  

I really had a hard time getting to the point of changing my name. Before I was thinking the same lol (I still haven't changed it yet). 

But thats what I was thinking, the paternal name has a ring. 

Thanks for the input! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.