ANOR

AOS got rejected because of wrong fee and whole package is being sent back

46 posts in this topic

Hi, just wondering if anyone has the same experience. we submitted our application for I130 and I485 (I131, I765 also). I knew we had to pay the 85$ for biometric, but in the form I485 instructions, it says we only have to pay if we're required to go in for the biometric appointment and we can pay at the time of appointment. Thats why I didn't include the 85$ fee. However, USCIS rejected our whole package and sending the whole package back because of just that wrong fee (which is not supposed to be wrong because I did exactly what they instructed on the form). Now It is causing us another 15-20 days delay because we have to wait for the original package to come back before we can correct the mistake. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
5 minutes ago, ANOR said:

Hi, just wondering if anyone has the same experience. we submitted our application for I130 and I485 (I131, I765 also). I knew we had to pay the 85$ for biometric, but in the form I485 instructions, it says we only have to pay if we're required to go in for the biometric appointment and we can pay at the time of appointment. Thats why I didn't include the 85$ fee. However, USCIS rejected our whole package and sending the whole package back because of just that wrong fee (which is not supposed to be wrong because I did exactly what they instructed on the form). Now It is causing us another 15-20 days delay because we have to wait for the original package to come back before we can correct the mistake. 

Nothing else you can do but resend with the correct fee, including the biometrics fee. $1,225 is the correct fee.

Where did you get that particular instructions about the option to pay biometrics fee at the ACS? Besides, everybody age 14-79 MUST appear for the biometrics.

AOS, ROC, N-400, & PASSPORT, FOR HUSBAND TO USC

[02/23, 2012]  - DAY 001  (day 0001) (AOS) Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[06/01, 2012]  - 
DAY 099  (day 0099) 2-year Conditional GC in hand
[05/05, 2014]  - DAY 001  (day 0802) (ROC) Mailed package to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

[05/14, 2014]  - DAY 009  (day 0811) Received NOA1 (GC Extended for 1 year)

[01/14, 2016]  - DAY 620  (day 1421) 10-year GC in hand

[02/22, 2017]  - DAY 001  (day 1826) (N-400) Mailed package to Lewisville, TX, via USPS overnight

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 323  (day 2149) (N-400) Naturalization Oath Ceremony (5 years, 10 months, 19 days)

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 001  (day 2149) (US Passport) Applied for US Passport, regular processing

01/25, 2018]  - DAY 015  (day 2164) (US Passport) Passport in hand (5 years, 11 months, 3 days from start of Journey.)

AOS, N-400, & PASSPORT FOR DAUGHTER [OF HUSBAND TO USC]

[06/14, 2013] - DAY 001 Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[11/21, 2013] - Day 153 SSN and 10-year GC in hand

09/01, 2021]  - (day 3001) (US Passport) Passport in hand (8 years, 2 months, 18 days from start of Journey.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
15 minutes ago, ANOR said:

in the form I485 instructions, it says we only have to pay if we're required to go in for the biometric appointment and we can pay at the time of appointment.

Curious where you read this....can you copy/paste the exact wording that led you to believe this to be true?

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline

From the i-485 instructions:

Filing Fee. Each application must be accompanied by the appropriate filing fee and biometric services fee (if applicable). (See the What Is the Filing Fee section of these Instructions.) If you file this application with an agency other than USCIS, check with that agency to determine if and when you must submit biometric services fees.

and further down that same document under the What Is The Filing Fee section:

A biometric services fee of $85 is also required for applicants between 14 and 79 years of age.  

There is nothing in the instructions mentioning being able to pay the bio fee at the time of your biometrics appointment.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Filed: AOS (apr) Country:
Timeline
25 minutes ago, ANOR said:

Page 14 and 15 on I-485

What Is the Filing Fee? The filing fee for Form I-485 is $1,140. If you are 13 years of age or younger and: 1. Are filing with a parent’s Form I-485, the filing fee for Form I-485 is $750; or 2. Are filing without a parent’s Form I-485, the filing fee for Form I-485 is $1,140. Form I-485 Instructions 12/13/17 N Page 15 of 42 A biometric services fee of $85 is also required for applicants between 14 and 79 years of age. If you are 79 years of age or older, you do not need to pay a biometric services fee. However, you still must appear for your scheduled biometrics collection appointment. If you are 13 years of age or younger, you do not need to pay a biometric services fee. However, you still must appear for your scheduled biometrics collection appointment. If you turn 14 years of age while your application is pending, you will then have to pay an $85 biometric services fee before USCIS will adjudicate your application.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I'm guessing they got confused/misread the very last 2 sentences.

Biometric Services Appointment. USCIS may require that you appear for an interview or provide fingerprints,photograph, and/or signature at any time to verify your identity, obtain additional information, and conduct background and security checks, including a check of criminal history records maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), before making a decision on your application, petition, or request. After USCIS receives your application and ensures it is complete, we will inform you in writing if you need to attend a biometric services appointment. If an appointment is necessary, the notice will provide you the location of your local or designated USCIS Application SupportCenter (ASC) and the date and time of your appointment. If you are an applicant (principal or derivative) filing FormI-485 with an immigration judge, you are required to comply with instructions you will receive during proceedings for submitting Form I-485 to USCIS with all relevant fees and for providing biometric and biographic information to USCIS.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I went thru the instructions twice and I can not see where it says that you can pay at the appointment.

OP, where did you exactly read this? I'm intrigued. 

PS: That is why you need to read those instructions 100 times. It can be confusing with so many if...Or but..

Edited by Sunnyland

Yeah I guess I got confused about the fee. Just too many forms. Thing is USCIS is sending the whole package back, would have been super helpful if they just asked us to send in an updated check. Now we have to wait for the package to come back, and send it in with an updated check. :(  

18 minutes ago, ch3john said:

I'm guessing they got confused/misread the very last 2 sentences.

Biometric Services Appointment. USCIS may require that you appear for an interview or provide fingerprints,photograph, and/or signature at any time to verify your identity, obtain additional information, and conduct background and security checks, including a check of criminal history records maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), before making a decision on your application, petition, or request. After USCIS receives your application and ensures it is complete, we will inform you in writing if you need to attend a biometric services appointment. If an appointment is necessary, the notice will provide you the location of your local or designated USCIS Application SupportCenter (ASC) and the date and time of your appointment. If you are an applicant (principal or derivative) filing FormI-485 with an immigration judge, you are required to comply with instructions you will receive during proceedings for submitting Form I-485 to USCIS with all relevant fees and for providing biometric and biographic information to USCIS.

Yeah, these are the lines I saw in every form. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country:
Timeline
1 minute ago, ANOR said:

Yeah I guess I got confused about the fee. Just too many forms. Thing is USCIS is sending the whole package back, would have been super helpful if they just asked us to send in an updated check. Now we have to wait for the package to come back, and send it in with an updated check. :(  

I suggest that you go through the whole packet all over again and be sure nothing is missing and you are 100% everything requested being submitted. It does not hurt to check again, just in case. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, ANOR said:

Yeah I guess I got confused about the fee. Just too many forms. Thing is USCIS is sending the whole package back, would have been super helpful if they just asked us to send in an updated check. Now we have to wait for the package to come back, and send it in with an updated check.

Sometimes things happen for a reason.  

Use the opportunity to go through the package again with a fine-tooth comb when you get it back for any additional errors/omissions of evidence.

IMO, it's better the entire package is sent back in cases like incorrect filing fees---this way you can be assured that your check will be tied to your application instead of the package sitting on one person's desk, and the payment arriving at another person's desk, and something lost in transition along the way.

1 minute ago, Going through said:

Sometimes things happen for a reason.  

Use the opportunity to go through the package again with a fine-tooth comb when you get it back for any additional errors/omissions of evidence.

IMO, it's better the entire package is sent back in cases like incorrect filing fees---this way you can be assured that your check will be tied to your application instead of the package sitting on one person's desk, and the payment arriving at another person's desk, and something lost in transition along the way.

Yeah, thank you for the advice. Will do. Just the thought of having to go through the same waiting time is just not helping. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

On a side note - My wife is going through ROC now and paid the bio fee. Got a letter saying they are waiving the bio and will use the one from AOS. No refund of course. Ask USCIS if they can apply our funds to your case :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.