Ads keep the light on...

40 posts in this topic

Just now, Captain Ewok said:

Should be fixed.=)

Verified. Thank you~

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Sorry all.  :'( . Honestly we are working to strike the right balance.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I can't use this site on my phone either. 95% of the time, within the first 2 minutes,  it takes to a (fake) Amazon page where it says I have won something and I h have to close the whole window. 

1 hour ago, Teemo said:

I can't use this site on my phone either. 95% of the time, within the first 2 minutes,  it takes to a (fake) Amazon page where it says I have won something and I h have to close the whole window. 

Same thing happens to me when i use my phone to come to VJ, so annoying.

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
8 hours ago, Teemo said:

Are you using Chrome? I recommend Firefox. 

This is the biggest reason I don't dare to take away the ad block for this website on my Chromebook because on my phone where I used to use Chrome, I got phishing attempts like these ALL the time within 10 seconds of getting on VJ. And I am not sure how vulnerable a Chromebook is to phishing attempts when it's using Chrome as the browser, if it's the same as with the phone or if they're better. 

9 hours ago, Captain Ewok said:

Sorry all.  :'( . Honestly we are working to strike the right balance.

We really appreciate all the time and effort you put in to make VJ the resource it is :)

Shove me in the direction of the donation link when it's available...

Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

On 6/21/2018 at 6:53 AM, Unidentified said:

Are you using Chrome? I recommend Firefox. 

This is the biggest reason I don't dare to take away the ad block for this website on my Chromebook because on my phone where I used to use Chrome, I got phishing attempts like these ALL the time within 10 seconds of getting on VJ. And I am not sure how vulnerable a Chromebook is to phishing attempts when it's using Chrome as the browser, if it's the same as with the phone or if they're better. 

That fake Amazon ad is really annoying and has been annoying me for at least a year.  I am glad I am not the only one.  I was trying to view the site just now and got that same stupid 4 ad times on my iPad.  I finally gave up and booted up my laptop.

And it seems stupid that people have to switch browsers to use a site.  This is not 2002 websites should NOT be regressing to the old "This site can only be viewed on Internet Explorer 6" days.

Can't you ban certain ads?  I know some other site I use has said that he boots out ads that are annoying.

Edited by wagner17
missed words

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I'm starting to get ads with sound, which are unappreciated.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 7/1/2018 at 10:01 AM, Unidentified said:

It's not gotten so bad I'm being hijacked on Firefox and need to use a VPN. Will soon be forced to only use it on laptop.

Have you tried running something like Malwarebytes to scan for  malware? You can download that from the app store or google play. If you are getting the redirect problem on different browsers, it would be a good idea to make sure you don't have a misbehaving app installed that has permissions set to allow access your browser. 

The current versions of Firefox and Chrome on IOS are supposed to have redirect protection enabled, but it doesn't always happen if you have upgraded from an older version, so you could try to uninstall Firefox and then reinstall to see if that helps. For Safari you can enable the pop up blocker and fraudulent website warning settings built into IOS and see if that helps. I also check privacy settings in IOS and see what apps have access to data, and also which apps have requested access to social media accounts, and if anything looks suspicious or unnecessary I uninstall it.

IOS was almost unusable for me at one time also, but I haven't had problems with Safari since enabling those settings (probably ~ last December), and I haven't had issues in Chrome since I deleted it and reinstalled a couple of months ago. I don't have Firefox installed on IOS but I do use it on my phone and don't have issues either. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
19 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Have you tried running something like Malwarebytes to scan for  malware? You can download that from the app store or google play. If you are getting the redirect problem on different browsers, it would be a good idea to make sure you don't have a misbehaving app installed that has permissions set to allow access your browser. 

The current versions of Firefox and Chrome on IOS are supposed to have redirect protection enabled, but it doesn't always happen if you have upgraded from an older version, so you could try to uninstall Firefox and then reinstall to see if that helps. For Safari you can enable the pop up blocker and fraudulent website warning settings built into IOS and see if that helps. I also check privacy settings in IOS and see what apps have access to data, and also which apps have requested access to social media accounts, and if anything looks suspicious or unnecessary I uninstall it.

IOS was almost unusable for me at one time also, but I haven't had problems with Safari since enabling those settings (probably ~ last December), and I haven't had issues in Chrome since I deleted it and reinstalled a couple of months ago. I don't have Firefox installed on IOS but I do use it on my phone and don't have issues either. 

I should have been more clear... Only website on Firefox that is hijacking me is Visajourney. I can go to any other website and be fine. If I go to visajourney I'm redirected within not even 1 second. So no, it's not an app, it's this forum. 

On 7/3/2018 at 1:19 PM, Steeleballz said:

I tried this on IOS and I still got hijacked.  I still think it would be nice if it was possible to fix the root cause and remove the misbehaving ads from displaying on VJ.

3 hours ago, wagner17 said:

I tried this on IOS and I still got hijacked.  I still think it would be nice if it was possible to fix the root cause and remove the misbehaving ads from displaying on VJ.

The fix ultimately has to come from the companies that serve the adds. Google for one, has been taking a lot of flak lately for letting adds with java script exploits slip through. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Hi. I'm not sure if this topic has been created already. But I notice visa journey forums advertisements have become really aggressive when I browse from my mobile device. I keep getting redirected to scams about amazon gift cards or bogus prizes and the pages are so aggressive you can't even go back so I have to open my history and manually go back to browsing the prior page. Sometimes I will be redirected 3 times before I can read a forum post. This only happens on Visajourney forums and no other forums or websites I browse. And I do have my adblockers enabled. Any advice?

Edited by JayHouser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

This is indeed an issue currently being discussed.  Will move your post to the Site Discussion forum and merge it with the existing thread.

15 minutes ago, JayHouser said:

Any advice?

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).