Unidentified

Ads keep the light on...

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Really? We've become one of those sites that are going to nag me to turn off my add blocker? The only thing that makes this site usable is the fact that I can block the ads. If you're short on cash, why not put a donation thing on your site and ask people to donate money. This forum is going downhill.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Just out of curiousity, for the desktop version of the site, how do the ads make the site unusable? I'd certainly like to strike the right balance. We typically just have 3 ads per long scroll page on the forums.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Timeline

We can certainly provide an ad free experience for donations but the site itself truly does have operational costs to run. 

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, Captain Ewok said:

for the desktop version of the site, how do the ads make the site unusable?

The ads have been tolerable for several weeks now.  I typically see one each atop & below a page.  Occasionally, one appears in the middle, but not within posts, as used to be.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

My issues with the new nag are:

1. They appear on every page load.
  2. They clear the path from the URL and the page's title. As such, I can't see what topic I'm on without going back up to the top of the page. This is highly annoying for site notifications, especially when loading 2/3/25/etc. at a time (because I've been away form the computer part of the day. :P)

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I think this website needs to do something about all the phishing attempts before forcing people to turn off add blockers. I can barely use the website on my phone, especially not while using Chrome. I'm not turning off my ad blocker on my Chromebook anytime soon so please stop nagging until people can use this website problem free.

4 hours ago, Captain Ewok said:

Just out of curiousity, for the desktop version of the site, how do the ads make the site unusable? I'd certainly like to strike the right balance. We typically just have 3 ads per long scroll page on the forums.

Pop ups make using the site impossible from either my Android or iPad. I had to resort to using Brave to be able to get past the forum list.

Now thanks to the whitelist push I can no longer use the back button in a thread, it returns to the main page every time.

I love this forum, it's got me through the immigration process, put me in touch with others who understand the emotions and stress the process creates. But it's getting harder and harder to access from a mobile device and that's sad.

I for one would happily donate to the operating costs to resolve this :)

Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

Timeline

I'll look into the ad free skin for the forums. 

The nag message was only supposed to be for the desktop view where popups are non-existent. I understand the mobile view argument. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The same thing is happening here. Getting returned to the main page after clicking away from the ad nag makes the site really hard to navigate.

Just editing to add... once I paused my ad blocker, navigating the site is normal again and I'm also able to edit my timeline again rather than getting a "page not found" error, so the ad nag is definitely affecting the way the site functions. 

Edited by sumbunny

Timeline
1 hour ago, sumbunny said:

The same thing is happening here. Getting returned to the main page after clicking away from the ad nag makes the site really hard to navigate.

Just editing to add... once I paused my ad blocker, navigating the site is normal again and I'm also able to edit my timeline again rather than getting a "page not found" error, so the ad nag is definitely affecting the way the site functions. 

Desktop of mobile view?  I'm making a change so it only shows in desktop (not mobile) regardless of adblocker settings.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

8 minutes ago, Captain Ewok said:

Desktop of mobile view?  I'm making a change so it only shows in desktop (not mobile) regardless of adblocker settings.

Desktop on both PC and Mac. Chrome is the browser. 

10 hours ago, Captain Ewok said:

The adds on PC are not intrusive at the moment (using Chrome). There have been times when they were worse. Once someone blocks the adds, obviously it's difficult to see if it get's better or worse since you won't see any adds at all. 

On the current PC I am using, I only see an add on the top, add on the side, and one at the bottom. Nothing blocking the reading area.

Mobile is a different issue I think, in that many of the adds have been using exploits and I don't blame people for not wanting these to pop up. Personally, I haven't had any of the crazy popup adds on IOS -Safari browser since I enabled the IOS popup blocker. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Something with the redirection when the nag screen appears is making the sort options on the timelines page not function. It takes you to an error page instead.

Example: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/k1list.php?cfl=&op1=&op2=&op3=1&op4=1&op5=&op6=All

Click any sorting option and it takes you to an error page. Disabling the adblocker works normally.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
29 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Something with the redirection when the nag screen appears is making the sort options on the timelines page not function. It takes you to an error page instead.

Example: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/k1list.php?cfl=&op1=&op2=&op3=1&op4=1&op5=&op6=All

Click any sorting option and it takes you to an error page. Disabling the adblocker works normally.

Should be fixed.=)