1,652 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
17 hours ago, Tomalley said:

I would suggest that, put a line on the top of your resume, saying 

Authorized to work for any employer in the U.S 

Yes, I have recently updated my resume with that :) 

K1                                                                                            AoS                                                                                                                                 N-400

I-129F Received: 05-June-2017                                        AoS, EAD & AP Filed: 15-June-2018                                                                         N-400 Filed: 29-Sept-2020

NOA2: 09-January-2018                                                      NOA1 on all three: 27-June-2018                                                                             NOA1: 28-Sept-2020

NVC Received/Case #: 24-January-2018                         Biometrics: 20-July-2018                                                                                           Interview Date: 16-Feb-2021

Consulate Received: 02-February-2018                           Case Ready For Interview: 24-July-2018                                                                 Oath Ceremony: 18-Feb-2021

Interview: 13-March-2018                                                   EAD & AP Approvals: 18-October-2018                                                                   Expedited under section 319(b) - overseas military orders

VOH: 17-March-2018                                                           Interview Scheduled: 8-April-2019 / Rescheduled on 17-April-2019                  Biometrics re-used from AOS application. Skipped ROC

POE (LAX): 11-April-2018                                                    Interview Date: 28-April-2019 - APPROVED!

So here is my experience travel with AP

We (me, my husband and my daughter) landed in LAX at 10am. Right away we got off the plane and we where directed to customs. There is two lines at customs. One marked for residents and citizens and one marked for visitors. We got in line to do global entry at the kiosk before go to the line for residents or visitor. I had my combo card with me and waited for about 10 mins in the line. But i cant print it out the global entry form cause that is only for US citizen or GC holder or visa holder. So the the officer said we can go directly to the visitor line together without global entry form. Another line we waited for 20minutes. Finally the officer called us up. I handed him my combo card,passport, and my husband and daughter pasport (they are US citizen) .

He scanned everything and asked why my husband and my daughter didn't print the global entry form. And we said cause the officer lady say we can't print it. He scanned only my right finger.

The he told me. "I'm going to need you to go to second inspection to verify these documents."

I knew from reading online that this is standard procedure for advance parole so don't panic. Easier said than done but keep it together.

I followed him to the room. As he got to the room there is cpb officer sitting at a desk. (My husband and my daughter were not allow to come in with me). He handed him my paperwork and said to him "DACA". He left and he told me to have a seat. he handed my paperwork to another officer who then started to type on his computer. At this point my stomach has churned and twisted and felt like someone was kicking me in the stomach. After about 10 minutes I heard my name being called. I slowly walked up to the desk terrified. The officer then said. "Ok your all set" He handed me my combo card and passport back stamped and on the stamps say DACA feb 2020, i don't understand what is that mean.

8 minutes ago, Maria & Lester said:

He handed me my combo card and passport back stamped and on the stamps say DACA feb 2020, i don't understand what is that mean.

Um, sounds like the officer screwed up. DACA recipients get AP too. But you're not DACA (it's the status for people who were brought in as kids, either illegally or legally then but later overstayed), you're K1 correct? 

I'm sure it's not going to be a problem for you, you got in and that's what's important here, but if you're not DACA you might want to look into this, especially if you plan to travel on AP again.

h

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Still waiting for interview in Seattle WA. 

Its been 126 days 😩, I’m working which is better. I started my own business! 

Anyone else know how long it takes to get interview? 

06/01/18 : Filed for AOS, EAD, AP

06/03/18 : Package delivered by USPS

06/15/18 : Received AOS AP, AND EAD NOA1 hard copies in mail

06/15/18: Received rejection letter for AP (WILL BE RE FILING)

07/02/18 : Biometrics appointment letter in mail

07/09/18 : Biometrics:D

09/10/18 AP approval in mail

09/18/18 : Received AP card in mail 

10/23/18 : Interview ready to be scheduled 

12/03/18 : NOA EAD Approval in Mail

12/07/18 : Receive EAD Card In mail

xx/xx/18 : Interview 

xx/xx/18 : Notice of Approval on I-485 in mail

xx/xx/18 : Card received in mail. Yay!:jest:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Update.  We finally got my husband's EAD card in the mail.  It arrived yesterday.  USCIS worked real fast as soon as the Congressman got involved.  Funny that.  We call them 7 times and they can't do anything but everything is magically on it's way once the Congressman's office gets in touch.  So we are still waiting for my husband's SSN.  Hopefully that comes in the next couple days otherwise we'll have to get in touch with the Congressman's office again.  I am REALLY hopeful that the SSN comes soon as he still can't do anything without it.  

I-129F Sent: July 5th 2017  

I-129F NOA2: January 19th 2018

Interview date: March 8th 2018 - Result is APPROVED!!! 

POE USA: April 23rd 2018

Marriage: May 18th 2018

AOS NOA1: May 30th 2018

AOS Biometrics: June 21st 2018

EAD Received Date: June 07 2018

EAD NOA1: June 13th 2018

EAD Biometrics: July 6th 2018

Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview as of October 11th 2018

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Tomalley said:

What business do you do? 

I’m a hairdresser!

06/01/18 : Filed for AOS, EAD, AP

06/03/18 : Package delivered by USPS

06/15/18 : Received AOS AP, AND EAD NOA1 hard copies in mail

06/15/18: Received rejection letter for AP (WILL BE RE FILING)

07/02/18 : Biometrics appointment letter in mail

07/09/18 : Biometrics:D

09/10/18 AP approval in mail

09/18/18 : Received AP card in mail 

10/23/18 : Interview ready to be scheduled 

12/03/18 : NOA EAD Approval in Mail

12/07/18 : Receive EAD Card In mail

xx/xx/18 : Interview 

xx/xx/18 : Notice of Approval on I-485 in mail

xx/xx/18 : Card received in mail. Yay!:jest:

On 12/12/2018 at 8:01 AM, Swissmiss82 said:

look what was in the mail after this loooong journey:

MERRY CHRISTMAS to me, and 2 years of relaxing for now! 

crossing fingers for everyone to get their invitation letters soon, the interview coming up and get a happy holiday with the news ❤️ 

Okay I know I'm totally late to the party but CONGRATULATIONS! I don't know how I missed this! Hope you're doing well! Still want to come by and visit your bakery someday. :D

h

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
On 2/26/2019 at 4:38 PM, Maria & Lester said:

So here is my experience travel with AP

We (me, my husband and my daughter) landed in LAX at 10am. Right away we got off the plane and we where directed to customs. There is two lines at customs. One marked for residents and citizens and one marked for visitors. We got in line to do global entry at the kiosk before go to the line for residents or visitor. I had my combo card with me and waited for about 10 mins in the line. But i cant print it out the global entry form cause that is only for US citizen or GC holder or visa holder. So the the officer said we can go directly to the visitor line together without global entry form. Another line we waited for 20minutes. Finally the officer called us up. I handed him my combo card,passport, and my husband and daughter pasport (they are US citizen) .

He scanned everything and asked why my husband and my daughter didn't print the global entry form. And we said cause the officer lady say we can't print it. He scanned only my right finger.

The he told me. "I'm going to need you to go to second inspection to verify these documents."

I knew from reading online that this is standard procedure for advance parole so don't panic. Easier said than done but keep it together.

I followed him to the room. As he got to the room there is cpb officer sitting at a desk. (My husband and my daughter were not allow to come in with me). He handed him my paperwork and said to him "DACA". He left and he told me to have a seat. he handed my paperwork to another officer who then started to type on his computer. At this point my stomach has churned and twisted and felt like someone was kicking me in the stomach. After about 10 minutes I heard my name being called. I slowly walked up to the desk terrified. The officer then said. "Ok your all set" He handed me my combo card and passport back stamped and on the stamps say DACA feb 2020, i don't understand what is that mean.

Somewhat similar to my experience in terms of Secondary Inspection. Though, I did not know about it beforehand, so I was stressing out just a little bit. 

Though I'm wondering, why did you initially go to the global entry line? That's a specific program, somewhat similar to TSA Pre (but then for entering instead of leaving), which requires a yearly fee. 

On 2/26/2019 at 4:50 PM, LizM said:

Um, sounds like the officer screwed up. DACA recipients get AP too. But you're not DACA (it's the status for people who were brought in as kids, either illegally or legally then but later overstayed), you're K1 correct? 

I'm sure it's not going to be a problem for you, you got in and that's what's important here, but if you're not DACA you might want to look into this, especially if you plan to travel on AP again.

I'm not too familiar with DACA, but your explanation was enough. Agreed that that might be a screw up. However, when they register AP the first time at secondary inspection, you get a stamp in your passport with AP approved and then a date scribbled on, so the date part is normal, but the DACA thing is not. 

K1                                                                                            AoS                                                                                                                                 N-400

I-129F Received: 05-June-2017                                        AoS, EAD & AP Filed: 15-June-2018                                                                         N-400 Filed: 29-Sept-2020

NOA2: 09-January-2018                                                      NOA1 on all three: 27-June-2018                                                                             NOA1: 28-Sept-2020

NVC Received/Case #: 24-January-2018                         Biometrics: 20-July-2018                                                                                           Interview Date: 16-Feb-2021

Consulate Received: 02-February-2018                           Case Ready For Interview: 24-July-2018                                                                 Oath Ceremony: 18-Feb-2021

Interview: 13-March-2018                                                   EAD & AP Approvals: 18-October-2018                                                                   Expedited under section 319(b) - overseas military orders

VOH: 17-March-2018                                                           Interview Scheduled: 8-April-2019 / Rescheduled on 17-April-2019                  Biometrics re-used from AOS application. Skipped ROC

POE (LAX): 11-April-2018                                                    Interview Date: 28-April-2019 - APPROVED!

8 minutes ago, Hadassah123 said:

I'm not too familiar with DACA, but your explanation was enough. Agreed that that might be a screw up. However, when they register AP the first time at secondary inspection, you get a stamp in your passport with AP approved and then a date scribbled on, so the date part is normal, but the DACA thing is not. 

Yea stamp is normal. My stamp says I'm paroled in until 01 Jan 2020, purpose AOS. It does look like it says "Purpose: DA/AOS" actually, I can't quite read the first two letters however. It definitely doesn't say DACA. @Maria & Lester

h

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 2/26/2019 at 8:08 PM, Kat&Joel said:

Update.  We finally got my husband's EAD card in the mail.  It arrived yesterday.  USCIS worked real fast as soon as the Congressman got involved.  Funny that.  We call them 7 times and they can't do anything but everything is magically on it's way once the Congressman's office gets in touch.  So we are still waiting for my husband's SSN.  Hopefully that comes in the next couple days otherwise we'll have to get in touch with the Congressman's office again.  I am REALLY hopeful that the SSN comes soon as he still can't do anything without it.  

Finally!!!!! Heck they took their sweet ### time!! 

On 2/25/2019 at 7:36 PM, Hadassah123 said:

Interesting! Thanks for the heads up, yes!

Yesss! And the communication here is different too. Recruiters being flaky and not responding back to emails I reply to (them contacting me first), sending out a dozen online application, but never hearing a reply (in the Netherlands you usually get a rejection email), etc.

I've been asked the status question a couple times too, but I think California (LA) has more experience with it. I have had the questions about my status/what visa I have. I'm sure it's because I'm from the Netherlands, have all Dutch work experience on my resume, so they have to verify that I am not a tourist trying to work, or require sponsorship in the future. Also, just like with online applications, I can work for any employer, which is not the case for all visa's. So when asked the question if I have a work permit, I've also had the follow up question what kind it is and/or for any employer. I've mentioned marriage based a couple times, though I try to avoid that. Usually just go with "yep, for any employer".

Luckily no questions about expiry etc though.

I went to a recruiter 2 weeks ago, signed up for temp work as well. Had to fill out a USCIS form and ticked the box with "alien allowed to work for any employer" (if I remember correctly). Had to fill out passport details and they made a copy of my EAD. All that made sense. I can now be called for a temp job and start work right away. Not that that has lead to any leads yet. Currently in touch with another (quick communicating and proactive!) recruiter, so we'll see when I finally land a job, hehe :) 

I'm crossing my fingers for you! 

I interviewed at a temp work office but they havent been able to place me with a firm yet 😒 I just have the feeling that many companies are hesitant because I haven't had a US job yet and they cant verify my references from germany. 

And also there are many jobs that require you to be a US citizen. Which sucks, because I would have loved to work there.  

10 minutes ago, apinchofstella said:

I'm crossing my fingers for you! 

I interviewed at a temp work office but they havent been able to place me with a firm yet 😒 I just have the feeling that many companies are hesitant because I haven't had a US job yet and they cant verify my references from germany. 

And also there are many jobs that require you to be a US citizen. Which sucks, because I would have loved to work there.  

What types of jobs are you looking for? I'm just curious :) The only jobs I can think of that require citizenship are those that have certain security clearance, like working in specific capacities for the government/a government contractor.  

h

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.