nabeel24

N400 Denial UPDATE! Please advise on issue!

39 posts in this topic

There is a 5 year statute of limitations for revoking GC based on USCIS error (no fraud involved). Did you get the denial after 5 years of your GC approval? If so, your GC may be safe (unless they claim that you committed a fraud of sorts). If it was their mistake they cannot touch your LPR status after 5 years. Best luck!

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

12 minutes ago, randomstairs said:

There is a 5 year statute of limitations for revoking GC based on USCIS error (no fraud involved). Did you get the denial after 5 years of your GC approval? If so, your GC may be safe (unless they claim that you committed a fraud of sorts). If it was their mistake they cannot touch your LPR status after 5 years. Best luck!

It was not their mistake.

The OP got married when he was not supposed to. Or, if he wanted to get married so bad, he should have reported it to immigration so they could make the proper adjustment.

This was not a mistake by immigration, this is all on the OP and is a serious issue.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

5 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

It was not their mistake.

The OP got married when he was not supposed to. Or, if he wanted to get married so bad, he should have reported it to immigration so they could make the proper adjustment.

This was not a mistake by immigration, this is all on the OP and is a serious issue.

I think you are very quick to blame...wow. On the letter itself, there are a couple of instances where they wrote there was an error. I quoted one line on the first post. I understand this was not fully their error, it's on both sides. When my dad did the 485 through a lawyer I doubt they mentioned to him about the married part since most people don't get married that early. Nonetheless, it happened, it's an error. Although, the paper says the "USCIS erred", I'd say it's an error on both sides and would like to resolve it. 

5 hours ago, randomstairs said:

I did just read about that once you wrote it. Thank you for mentioning that. They wrote on the paper that this was under: "non-fraud" doctrine and "was obtained by a negligent mistake made by the goverment". That is what they're essentially putting my denial under. 

With that said, all signs point to an error made by USCIS, but I'd like to know what I can do to fix it or move forward. I had my work-authorization at that time so I was legal and I am currently married to a US Citizen for five years now. I simply don't want to lose my Green Card status to re-apply and re-do a process. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
13 hours ago, nabeel24 said:

Hey everyone! Hope everyone is having a great day!

So this is an update to my post I made a few days ago regarding denial of my N400. I'll post details below and will ask anyone who can help or give me advice to please to do so as I'm in a very sticky situation now. 

N400 Denial Letter:

- USCIS said I was denied because I had initially received my Green Card as an "Unmarried child of a skilled worker in immigrant classification E30."

- I received my Green Card on 03/2013.... I got married in 01/2013.. I obviously did not know this would cause ANY issue at all but here we are. 

- The USCIS letter states: "Based of the foregoing, you were no longer a child, and USCIS erred when it approved your I-485 application on March 12, 2013. " (Essentially states I received my Green Card Unlawfully...)

I already set up an infopass appointment 2 weeks out. The letter does not say my Green Card is being rescinded nor do I know if it will be or what in general is going to happen. I called the USCIS line and the person was surprised at the denial and also that they're noticing it 5 years later and denying me for it. 

I am extremely worried at what will happen now... I have a feeling USCIS won't fix this and on top of that what my Green Card status will be along with how I'll get a Citizenship in the near future. I just don't understand how or what they will do and it has been FIVE years! Not sure if they'll take away my GC and tell me to apply again with my USC wife or what it will be. My current job depends on the fact that I have a Green Card as it is a govt. job. 

If anyone has any advice at all... or faced any situation similar to this, please provide any advice. Thank you for the help!

Your green card was approved for unmarried child but you were married.  USCIS can at anytime revoke a green card don't matter that it has been 5 years.  The reason you were caught is because you filed N400 and they looked at your file to see if you are even eligible for N400.

28 minutes ago, nabeel24 said:

I think you are very quick to blame...wow. On the letter itself, there are a couple of instances where they wrote there was an error. I quoted one line on the first post. I understand this was not fully their error, it's on both sides. When my dad did the 485 through a lawyer I doubt they mentioned to him about the married part since most people don't get married that early. Nonetheless, it happened, it's an error. Although, the paper says the "USCIS erred", I'd say it's an error on both sides and would like to resolve it. 

So it is not your fault. But it is both you and their fault. But it is not your fault?

Regardless, even if immigration committed an error also, that doesn't take away the fact that you did also. You made a mistake. This is not to bash you but sometimes when people are informed they did something wrong they take it as a shot at them. This is a lesson learned.

If you filed under "Unmarried Son or Daughter" then you have to remain unmarried. If you do decide to get married, you have to notify immigration because you no longer qualify for a visa under that category.

With that said, all signs point to an error made by USCIS, but I'd like to know what I can do to fix it or move forward.

You misunderstand this. USCIS erred by giving you the green card when you were not eligible for it. They are now correcting that mistake. Just because they didn't catch it before doesn't mean you are free to go. If that was the case they wouldn't have denied you.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, nabeel24 said:

With that said, all signs point to an error made by USCIS,

Actually, all signs point to an error made by you in this case.

You did not remain unmarried before the GC approval.

You did not inform USCIS about your new marital status.

The only "error" USCIS had was approving you for the GC when you were otherwise ineligible....but they wouldn't have known you were ineligible because you never informed them of the changes to your personal circumstances before the GC approval.  

Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Sorry about your situation. Like many others have advised, instead of going back and forth on who is to blame...contact a lawyer asap and follow the best options for you.

best of luck....I pray all goes well. Amen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

David Ware is an experienced and excellent immigration attorney.  He has offices in Louisiana (New Orleans and Baton Rouge that we know of) and Alabama.  Good luck to you.

Jerry

If the GC was issued in error (not sure if your honest errors count into that) they cannot rescind your GC if it's been over 5 years since approval: https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-12524/0-0-0-12583.html

Find a lawyer who had experience with such cases and make sure they don't give you unrealistic hope just for the money (be very picky). When you find one, spend all the money you can on them, no matter how much they ask. Best luck!

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

6 minutes ago, randomstairs said:

If the GC was issued in error (not sure if your honest errors count into that) they cannot rescind your GC if it's been over 5 years since approval: https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-12524/0-0-0-12583.html

Find a lawyer who had experience with such cases and make sure they don't give you unrealistic hope just for the money (be very picky). When you find one, spend all the money you can on them, no matter how much they ask. Best luck!

The statute of limitations has a couple caveats to it, which is where a good lawyer can make an argument. First, it only applies to people who did AOS, not those who went through consular processing. Second, it applies if the mistake was due to USCIS...it does not apply if the mistake was due to the applicant. In this case, it sounds like the mistake was on both parties, which is not a good position to be in IMO. So yes, get a good attorney....USCIS may choose to pursue revocation of permanent residency.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Country: India
Timeline
4 hours ago, nabeel24 said:

I 485 does have question asking if you are married. If you still said you are not married then its really not their error. Your best option is to file thrpugh your spouse.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline
48 minutes ago, cd37 said:

I 485 does have question asking if you are married. If you still said you are not married then its really not their error. Your best option is to file thrpugh your spouse.

The op filed through his spouse previously (if I’m not mistaken) which is how he now finds himself in this situation. He filed based on his marriage to a usc instead of 5 year period for gc. 

Filed: Country: India
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Bfree3 said:

The op filed through his spouse previously (if I’m not mistaken) which is how he now finds himself in this situation. He filed based on his marriage to a usc instead of 5 year period for gc. 

Do you generally not read the whole thread before commenting ? op got his green card through his dad. File n400 based on marriage. Op's gc is in question here.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline
30 minutes ago, cd37 said:

Do you generally not read the whole thread before commenting ? op got his green card through his dad. File n400 based on marriage. Op's gc is in question here.

We are talking about two different topics obviously. Carry on, as this forum won’t allow me to say what I’d like. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.