nabeel24

N400 Denial UPDATE! Please advise on issue!

39 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! Hope everyone is having a great day!

So this is an update to my post I made a few days ago regarding denial of my N400. I'll post details below and will ask anyone who can help or give me advice to please to do so as I'm in a very sticky situation now. 

N400 Denial Letter:

- USCIS said I was denied because I had initially received my Green Card as an "Unmarried child of a skilled worker in immigrant classification E30."

- I received my Green Card on 03/2013.... I got married in 01/2013.. I obviously did not know this would cause ANY issue at all but here we are. 

- The USCIS letter states: "Based of the foregoing, you were no longer a child, and USCIS erred when it approved your I-485 application on March 12, 2013. " (Essentially states I received my Green Card Unlawfully...)

I already set up an infopass appointment 2 weeks out. The letter does not say my Green Card is being rescinded nor do I know if it will be or what in general is going to happen. I called the USCIS line and the person was surprised at the denial and also that they're noticing it 5 years later and denying me for it. 

I am extremely worried at what will happen now... I have a feeling USCIS won't fix this and on top of that what my Green Card status will be along with how I'll get a Citizenship in the near future. I just don't understand how or what they will do and it has been FIVE years! Not sure if they'll take away my GC and tell me to apply again with my USC wife or what it will be. My current job depends on the fact that I have a Green Card as it is a govt. job. 

If anyone has any advice at all... or faced any situation similar to this, please provide any advice. Thank you for the help!

Oh, wow this is way more complex than I think any of us thought based on your original post.  I hate to say this, but your best bet is to get an experienced immigration attorney ASAP as this is one of those cases where any of us giving advice on the forum would likely be making it up.  Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Hire an attorney immediately and be prepared to file through your spouse in worst case. I feel sorry for you. You made no mistake and you are in this situation.

I am just wondering if this letter invalidates your GC. Hope somebody here with similar situation help you on this.

Edited by cd37

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
25 minutes ago, nabeel24 said:

I was 21 years old.

1 hour ago, nabeel24 said:

- The USCIS letter states: "Based of the foregoing, you were no longer a child, and USCIS erred when it approved your I-485 application on March 12, 2013. "

USCIS is correct in that you were not considered a child due to your age.

1 hour ago, nabeel24 said:

I called the USCIS line and the person was surprised at the denial and also that they're noticing it 5 years later and denying me for it. 

The N400 is the final step with USCIS--it's their last chance to make sure every step along the way was in accordance to immigration law/rules during the adjudication.  Part of the adjudication process for the N400 is looking back to see if the initial GC was correctly approved, thus allowing for one's naturalization to be approved, so not too much of a surprise that they didn't catch it until your interview.

If the person you spoke to was just the regular customer service person who answers the phone (instead of being transferred to an actual L2 immigration officer) they normally don't know much about the immigration process outside of providing generic information.

Can you paste the letter in  this thread (removing all personal info) so members can get a better idea of what they are fully stating in it?

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

When you got married, you nullified the I-485, plus u did not report the marriage, so u face a misrep.  Forget about citizenship worry about keeping you green card.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline
10 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Being 21 probably wasn't the issue...I'm assuming either they were under 21 when the PD became current OR they were covered by CSPA. If that was the issue, I would expect them to have noted it in the denial letter.

It was noted in the denial letter: "The USCIS letter states: "Based of the foregoing, you were no longer a child [...]"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 minutes ago, shomer said:

It was noted in the denial letter: "The USCIS letter states: "Based of the foregoing, you were no longer a child [...]"

It's a bit of both, really, because OP also needed to remain unmarried at the time of approval be eligible.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

The reason I noted the age piece is that they easily had all the DOB info and would know the recipient's age. They are very unlikely to miss that. The change in marital status, however, sounds like it wasn't known to them at the time.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, nabeel24 said:

I have a feeling USCIS won't fix this

Unfortunately, I think there is nothing to fix since I believe they are correct in their assessment that they erred by giving you a green card. Your age is not the issue (your PD was before 21), it is the married part since "unmarried child" is the requirement. I also believe you need a lawyer. I believe the guy I used is the best family based visa guy in the business so PM me if you want his info. Lastly, I hope your spouse is a USC as that may be your only/best recourse. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.