Draaier

Divorce cert for interview, Canada

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Today I received an email from the embassy reminding me of my impending appointment within the email it reminded me of documentation that I am required to bring. Within their it requests original and copies of all divorce certificates for both of us. Now my fiance the petitioner has been divorced and when we originally filed we sent in a certified copy of his divorce certificate. This was the only certified copy we had and we never received it back. So now for me to bring to the interview I only have a copy I cannot bring an original and there is no time for me to get it before the interview. I'm just looking for your guyses advice on what I should do? We already submitted a certified copy during the initial process do I still need another one for the interview or will they have access to that certified copy?

Thanks for your time

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Draaier said:

Today I received an email from the embassy reminding me of my impending appointment within the email it reminded me of documentation that I am required to bring. Within their it requests original and copies of all divorce certificates for both of us. Now my fiance the petitioner has been divorced and when we originally filed we sent in a certified copy of his divorce certificate. This was the only certified copy we had and we never received it back. So now for me to bring to the interview I only have a copy I cannot bring an original and there is no time for me to get it before the interview. I'm just looking for your guyses advice on what I should do? We already submitted a certified copy during the initial process do I still need another one for the interview or will they have access to that certified copy?

Thanks for your time

Tough one.  If you read the instructions it stipulates that all evidence should be a legible photocopy unless an original is SPECIFICALLY requested.  An original or certified divorce decree is not on the list of specifically requested originals.  The instructions also go on to say that if an original is provided that was not specifically requested that it may be destroyed.  Theoretically they should have it in the file but they might have made a copy of it and destroyed the one you submitted.  I am surprised that they are requesting an original from the USC

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

My fiancee (US) doesn't have his original - I'm not sure how many people do. That being said, if you go to the County Clerk and request a certified copy of the final divorce decree, I believe that is like an original. I.e., there is a physical seal and signature on the final divorce decree.. does that make sense? That's what we are going to do... the document is then in essence kind of like the long birth certificate you would request from your province. It is clearly a photocopy of the original long birth certificate but there is a seal on it and signature certifying the copy to be as valid as an original. 

Although, how soon is your interview? Could you get overnighted documents? 

If anyone has heard differently about this - please let us know! 

Edited by SMK 89

Timeline
14 minutes ago, SMK 89 said:

My fiancee (US) doesn't have his original - I'm not sure how many people do. That being said, if you go to the County Clerk and request a certified copy of the final divorce decree, I believe that is like an original. I.e., there is a physical seal and signature on the final divorce decree.. does that make sense? That's what we are going to do... the document is then in essence kind of like the long birth certificate you would request from your province. It is clearly a photocopy of the original long birth certificate but there is a seal on it and signature certifying the copy to be as valid as an original. 

Although, how soon is your interview? Could you get overnighted documents? 

If anyone has heard differently about this - please let us know! 

Sadly my interview is on wendsday, one week away and my fiance moved out of state from where the divorce took place. So he can get an original mailed to him but there is no way he gets it and gets it to me by 8am Tuesday when I have to fly to the interview. The copy we sent in with the original application was a certified copy because we were told it had to be. But now all I have is a copy

Timeline
54 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Tough one.  If you read the instructions it stipulates that all evidence should be a legible photocopy unless an original is SPECIFICALLY requested.  An original or certified divorce decree is not on the list of specifically requested originals.  The instructions also go on to say that if an original is provided that was not specifically requested that it may be destroyed.  Theoretically they should have it in the file but they might have made a copy of it and destroyed the one you submitted.  I am surprised that they are requesting an original from the USC

Dear Applicant,

Your interview is scheduled for May 16, 2018 in order to avoid delays in processing your file you need to bring the following original documents that are not currently on your file:

-              (2) Passport size photos no older than 6 months and with a plain white background (if you wear eyeglasses, please remove them when you have your photo taken).

-              Original and copy of your Long Form Birth Certificate.

-              Original Canada Police Certificate (Canadian Police Certificates have a validity of 12 months from the date they were issued) and Police Certificate from countries where you resided for more than 12 months after the age of 16.

-              Original I-134 Form along with the US Income Tax Return from your Petitioner.

-              Original and copy of the Divorce Certificate if you or your Fiance(e) have had a previous marriage.

-              Original Letter of Intent to Marry from your Fiance(e) (only letters that have been signed within 30 days will be accepted,  please make sure that you bring the original signed letter, neither copies nor scanned copies will be   

accepted).

-              Medical Exam from our Panel Physician in Canada.

13 minutes ago, Draaier said:

Sadly my interview is on wendsday, one week away and my fiance moved out of state from where the divorce took place. So he can get an original mailed to him but there is no way he gets it and gets it to me by 8am Tuesday when I have to fly to the interview. The copy we sent in with the original application was a certified copy because we were told it had to be. But now all I have is a copy

Geez, it sucks how we have allllllll this time waiting for NOA2's and then for something like this it feels like there is no time at all. Hopefully it will be enough, hopefully there is a note in your I-129F file that you sent the original or that they actually forward the original I-129F entire package to the Consulate for the interview? As a last resort, is there any way your fiancee can call that county clerk, speak with someone and explain the situation? Asking them if there is anyway they could overnight the original certified directly to your address and that he is willing to maybe give his credit card information on the phone to deal with all the expenses? I know my fiancee had to pay for his certified divorce decrees but he never physically went into the office, he called them, emailed with them and then also gave his credit card info over the phone... doesn't hurt to try if you haven't yet! My fingers are crossed for you both!!!! 

Worst case scenario (and hopefully it really doesn't come to this), request the original anyways as a rush because then say he gets it like next week, he can get it overnighted somehow and the consulate can close out the case not much longer after the interview. I've seen on VJ that sometimes thats what the consulate does, your K1 approval is pending you mail "x,y,z" documents to us. And then it's basically sitting as not approved in the system but then switches to approved once they validate the documents you mail them. And then they mailed the passport with the K1 Visa in it...

22 minutes ago, Draaier said:

Ps. we only sent in a copy of a divorce decree as part of the I-129F...hopefully that doesn't hurt us with an RFE... 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

How long have you known about your interview date? I find it hard to imagine you just got it TODAY.

Anyways, you may well have to reschedule. They want ORIGINALS for the interview and COPIES for the initial application.

Does he have family or friends who still live in that area who could get it and overnight it to you?

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

2 hours ago, payxibka said:

This is not the case for Packet 3 / 4 in Canada. It does specifically state to bring BOTH original and photocopy. They check the original and keep the photocopy. I think this is getting confused with the I-129F instructions.

3 hours ago, Draaier said:

Thanks for your time

I understand that your interview is one week away - it looks like your only option is to reschedule the appointment date, which they absolutely can do.

Other option is to have your fiance ask how long postage will take, and to have the courts mail it to your address. See if they'll take a credit card to express mail it to you in Canada, but you MUST use FedEx / UPS and not USPS to have this done as there will likely be an additional week delay added otherwise.

Do not wait too long to reschedule.

Bring a certified copy he can obtain and a photocopy of that.  They will look at the certified copy and may keep a photocopy but will not keep the certified copy if you provide them with both.  Yes as a K1 you should bring the certified copy to interview. 

This is a good reminder to everyone who is starting the K1 process. NEVER EVER send the USCIS any originals or certified copies unless SPECIFICALLY requested.  

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, NikLR said:

Bring a certified copy he can obtain and a photocopy of that.  They will look at the certified copy and may keep a photocopy but will not keep the certified copy if you provide them with both.  Yes as a K1 you should bring the certified copy to interview. 

This is a good reminder to everyone who is starting the K1 process. NEVER EVER send the USCIS any originals or certified copies unless SPECIFICALLY requested.  

Yes the instructions specifically states “copies”. However even if you get an RFE (221G) the process in my experience was pretty fast for Manila so i can’t imagine it being that much slower or faster in Canada. Although each case is unique. At our interview we got a 221g for a divorce decree and we submitted 4/20 and by 5/9 visa issued. My advice go to the interview bring that copy and get that certified copy back or get some new ones as you’ll need it for the AOS. Breathe don’t  worry and be strong. 

6 hours ago, Draaier said:

Thanks for your time

August 1, 2017 - mailed K1 Application 

August 4 - Receievd TSC - NOA1

August 8 - Transfered to CSC

February 10 - NOA 2

March 1st - MCN# In Transit

March 2nd - AT NVC CEAC

March 12 - Completed D160

March 22 - Ready CEAC

March 27 - SLEC - Medical

March 28 received medical results 

April 2 - CFO Completed 

April 5 - Embassy Interview (Results 221G 😭)

April 20 - Submitted RFE requirements (221G)

April 23 - Docs Recieved at NVC Via 2go

April 24 - email received from Embassy to complete Oath 

April 25 - Oath and Fingerprints - No appointment needed

April 25 CEAC Status update AP

May 3rd - CEAC Status Update Still AP

May 8 - CEAC Staus  Changed to Non Immigrant Status

May 9 - CEAC Status - ISSUED! ❤️👏😂😅

May 12 - VOH - Blessed be to God in the Highest!! 🙏😭

May 30 - POE ✈️

May 31st - Confirmed I94 and applied for SSN

June 4 - Married 🎉🙏🎂💑🍾👰🏻🤵🏻

June 5 - Received SSN! - Took only three business days 👏

July 12 - AOS EAD AP

Juy 21 - NOA1 

Aug 7 - Biometrics 

Aug 14 - Case Ready To Be Scheduled For Interview 

Sept 4 - Interview Was Scheduled 

Timeline

Just wanted to update anyone who was interested. We got super lucky and one my my fiancees old coworkers was able to pick up the letter and mail it priority to me and it will get here by end of day Monday. Cutting it close but it is the only thing I am missing so thanks for all the advice. You all helped us keep a cool head and fix the situation. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 hours ago, Draaier said:

Just wanted to update anyone who was interested. We got super lucky and one my my fiancees old coworkers was able to pick up the letter and mail it priority to me and it will get here by end of day Monday. Cutting it close but it is the only thing I am missing so thanks for all the advice. You all helped us keep a cool head and fix the situation. 

Awesome so happy to hear! Good luck and remember you have friends here in the same boat sharing your plight. Let us know how it goes!! Godspeed

August 1, 2017 - mailed K1 Application 

August 4 - Receievd TSC - NOA1

August 8 - Transfered to CSC

February 10 - NOA 2

March 1st - MCN# In Transit

March 2nd - AT NVC CEAC

March 12 - Completed D160

March 22 - Ready CEAC

March 27 - SLEC - Medical

March 28 received medical results 

April 2 - CFO Completed 

April 5 - Embassy Interview (Results 221G 😭)

April 20 - Submitted RFE requirements (221G)

April 23 - Docs Recieved at NVC Via 2go

April 24 - email received from Embassy to complete Oath 

April 25 - Oath and Fingerprints - No appointment needed

April 25 CEAC Status update AP

May 3rd - CEAC Status Update Still AP

May 8 - CEAC Staus  Changed to Non Immigrant Status

May 9 - CEAC Status - ISSUED! ❤️👏😂😅

May 12 - VOH - Blessed be to God in the Highest!! 🙏😭

May 30 - POE ✈️

May 31st - Confirmed I94 and applied for SSN

June 4 - Married 🎉🙏🎂💑🍾👰🏻🤵🏻

June 5 - Received SSN! - Took only three business days 👏

July 12 - AOS EAD AP

Juy 21 - NOA1 

Aug 7 - Biometrics 

Aug 14 - Case Ready To Be Scheduled For Interview 

Sept 4 - Interview Was Scheduled 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 5/9/2018 at 10:02 PM, Mark_712 said:

Yes the instructions specifically states “copies”. However even if you get an RFE (221G) the process in my experience was pretty fast for Manila so i can’t imagine it being that much slower or faster in Canada. Although each case is unique. At our interview we got a 221g for a divorce decree and we submitted 4/20 and by 5/9 visa issued. My advice go to the interview bring that copy and get that certified copy back or get some new ones as you’ll need it for the AOS. Breathe don’t  worry and be strong. 

Sending in additional documents in Canada will result in 6 to 8+ weeks before you hear back. 

Sadly it is probably better to get AP sending in the documents then trying to reschedule. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.