2,323 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Albert V said:

So my visa is in issued state for 2 days now. Do they normally send you a tracking number or are you notified once the visa is ready for pickup?

What did the Embassy instruct you to do? It would have been the last thing you would have gotten information about just before you stepped out the door. Have you looked through the P3 letter. Have you asked others in your sub-forum. Don't want to be rude but couples here from Germany, Norway or Finland just might not know the answer as there Embassy does things differently and uses a different carrier.

Guide

https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ec/iv

Your Country's VJ Portal

http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Ecuador&cty=Guayaquil

K-1 Visa General Instructions

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#1

Your Embassy's website

https://ec.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiancee-visa/

Sub-forum for your Region

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/96-mexico-latin-south-america/

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, Greenbaum said:

What did the Embassy instruct you to do? It would have been the last thing you would have gotten information about just before you stepped out the door. Have you looked through the P3 letter. Have you asked others in your sub-forum. Don't want to be rude but couples here from Germany, Norway or Finland just might not know the answer as there Embassy does things differently and uses a different carrier.

Guide

https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ec/iv

Your Country's VJ Portal

http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Ecuador&cty=Guayaquil

K-1 Visa General Instructions

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#1

Your Embassy's website

https://ec.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiancee-visa/

Sub-forum for your Region

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/96-mexico-latin-south-america/

No worries. Long and behold I got the tracking information about an hour ago. DHL should have it by tomorrow or Friday at the latest. Thank you for continued support and advice.

10-23-2017 I-129F Sent

10-25-2017 NOA1

05-10-2018 NOA2 

05-29-2018 NVC Received

05-30-2018 NVC Case # Assigned

07-10-2018 Case In Transit

07-12-2018 Embassy received

10-03-2018 Interview (Approved!)

10-21-2018 POE 

11-28-2018 Wedding

01-11-2019 AOS/EAD filed (NOA1)

02-11-2019 Biometrics

03-25-2019 AOS Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

04-08-2019 Interview scheduled (for May 22nd)

05-22-2019 AOS Interview (no decision)

08-06-2019 EAD Approval

08-11-2022 RFE

10-24-2022 AOS Approval

3 minutes ago, andjen0519 said:

@Greenbaum or to anyone who can respond.  I need your hello with something please. So when you're already in the USA what do ton do next? 

First week in the USA get a Social Security Number. Get married. start to commingle your assets. Be added to the bank and all the utilities. Name on car. All these things will be proof you have a bonified marriage. File you AOS.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello all,

I have an interesting situation.  We went and applied for my wife's Social Security number.  They SS office sent a rejection letter that said the Dept of Homeland Security did not verify your status.  Called SS and they said i would have to go back in.  During the time we were waiting for the SS number we got married.  I told the SS office worker that and she said then she can't recieve a SS number.  So I am at a loss of what to do.  

Questions I have 

Did the Dept of Homeland security just not respond to SS or have they screwed up and lost my wife's paperwork?

How do I get her a SS number

I am preparing to file the I-485 form.  Do I have to wait on the SS number until she gets her green card?

Thanks,

Mark

12 minutes ago, Waiting2005 said:

Hello all,

I have an interesting situation.  We went and applied for my wife's Social Security number.  They SS office sent a rejection letter that said the Dept of Homeland Security did not verify your status.  Called SS and they said i would have to go back in.  During the time we were waiting for the SS number we got married.  I told the SS office worker that and she said then she can't recieve a SS number.  So I am at a loss of what to do.  

Only choice is to wait now.

Questions I have 

Did the Dept of Homeland security just not respond to SS or have they screwed up and lost my wife's paperwork? Hard to answer. It's a possibility that there is an error in her DHS file either from her K1 petition or from CBP inputting her info when she arrived at her POE so it does not match the info she gave the SSA on her application form. No way to tell unless you examine all of your documents from your I129F petition (all stages including the DS160 etc.) as that is what info DHS has and compare it to your I94 and SSN info on the application you submitted.

How do I get her a SS number You can apply for it on the I765 EAD when you file that alongside her I485 AOS.

I am preparing to file the I-485 form.  Do I have to wait on the SS number until she gets her green card? Like I stated above, if you apply for it on the I765, she will get it when that is approved. Currently the I765 EAD takes 4-6 months. The GC takes alot longer.

Thanks,

Mark

2 hours ago, Waiting2005 said:

Hello all,

Questions I have 

Did the Dept of Homeland security just not respond to SS or have they screwed up and lost my wife's paperwork?

How do I get her a SS number

I am preparing to file the I-485 form.  Do I have to wait on the SS number until she gets her green card?

Thanks,

Mark

Here is the LONG answer but it will get you what you need.  I-94 is valid for 90 days from POE.  You need 14 days remaining on the I-94 to apply for your SSN, otherwise you have to wait until you have your EAD (Employment Authorization Document, I-765 when you file the I-485) or green card.

As a K-1 Visa Holder you are eligible to receive a SSN upon producing a valid I-94 (unexpired). Do not wait until you only have a few weeks left until your I-94 expires to file for a SSN. Many SSA (Social Security Administration) offices will not allow you to file for a SSN if your I-94 is about to expire (generally 14 days prior to the expiration on your I-94). On the other hand, you should also not file for a SSN too soon either.

You should wait 2 weeks after you arrived in the US before applying for a SSN. UPDATE: It's been reported recently that you no longer need to wait 2 weeks till you are in the SAVE database that you can go the next business day. If you go too soon your record of arrival will not be in the SAVE-ASVI system yet (what is SAVE), and it will require manual verification from the USCIS. As this will add weeks to the period it takes to process the SSN, it is advisable to attempt to wait the two weeks to be safe. If you have waited the 2 weeks and they tell you they cannot verify your arrival record via the SAVE database, then personally return on another day to have them search again -- thus eliminating the manual verification (you don't want to do the manual verification as it adds so much more time to the process).

To apply for a SSN you will need to go to your local SSA office and bring the documents below. These documents are proof of your eligibility to file for a SSN:

1. The SS-5 form  download and complete the application (they have some at the office if you forget).
  2. Your Passport (with the K-1 Visa attached)
  3. Your valid I-94
  4. Another form of valid ID (birth certificate will do nicely)
  5. You should also print and bring the document RM 10211.530 , in the event that the agent is not knowledgeable that K-1/K-2 are eligible to receive a SSN.  https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

Make sure to bring all the documents above because some offices have staff that are not aware that a K-1 Visa Holder is eligible to file for a SSN. A friendly reminder is a nice thing to have -- if not you could be turned away incorrectly

Once you have successfully applied for your SSN, the SSN card will come in the mail in about 2 weeks.

K2 visa holders must first have a work permit (EAD) to get a social security number.

After marriage

Carry your marriage certificate to the social security office to get the social security card in the new name. If you applied for a social security number before marriage, you can go back to the social security office after marriage and get your name changed on your social security card.

The social security card will be marked “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH USCIS AUTHORIZATION”.  That means, you need to get your EAD first before you can actually work.  Hopefully, when you submitted your AOS you included the EAD. If not you will now need to submit the paperwork for an EAD prior to working.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

21 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

After marriage

Carry your marriage certificate to the social security office to get the social security card in the new name. If you applied for a social security number before marriage, you can go back to the social security office after marriage and get your name changed on your social security card.

But this only applies if you received a SSN in your single name. 

But this only applies if you received an original SSN in your maiden name. The OP did not under no fault of his own, then married and now is unable to get one because the surnames dont match on the I94 and the new surname she wishes to take. 

They will have to wait for EAD.

3 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

But this only applies if you received an original SSN in your maiden name. The OP did not under no fault of his own, then married and now is unable to get one because the surnames dont match on the I94 and the new surname she wishes to take. 

They will have to wait for EAD.

My point was made under the assumption that they were successful on their first try prior to marriage. You make a good point with your observation.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Filed: Other Timeline

9 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

Here is the LONG answer but it will get you what you need.  I-94 is valid for 90 days from POE.  You need 14 days remaining on the I-94 to apply for your SSN, otherwise you have to wait until you have your EAD (Employment Authorization Document, I-765 when you file the I-485) or green card.

As a K-1 Visa Holder you are eligible to receive a SSN upon producing a valid I-94 (unexpired). Do not wait until you only have a few weeks left until your I-94 expires to file for a SSN. Many SSA (Social Security Administration) offices will not allow you to file for a SSN if your I-94 is about to expire (generally 14 days prior to the expiration on your I-94). On the other hand, you should also not file for a SSN too soon either.

You should wait 2 weeks after you arrived in the US before applying for a SSN. UPDATE: It's been reported recently that you no longer need to wait 2 weeks till you are in the SAVE database that you can go the next business day. If you go too soon your record of arrival will not be in the SAVE-ASVI system yet (what is SAVE), and it will require manual verification from the USCIS. As this will add weeks to the period it takes to process the SSN, it is advisable to attempt to wait the two weeks to be safe. If you have waited the 2 weeks and they tell you they cannot verify your arrival record via the SAVE database, then personally return on another day to have them search again -- thus eliminating the manual verification (you don't want to do the manual verification as it adds so much more time to the process).

To apply for a SSN you will need to go to your local SSA office and bring the documents below. These documents are proof of your eligibility to file for a SSN:

1. The SS-5 form  download and complete the application (they have some at the office if you forget).
  2. Your Passport (with the K-1 Visa attached)
  3. Your valid I-94
  4. Another form of valid ID (birth certificate will do nicely)
  5. You should also print and bring the document RM 10211.530 , in the event that the agent is not knowledgeable that K-1/K-2 are eligible to receive a SSN.  https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

Make sure to bring all the documents above because some offices have staff that are not aware that a K-1 Visa Holder is eligible to file for a SSN. A friendly reminder is a nice thing to have -- if not you could be turned away incorrectly

Once you have successfully applied for your SSN, the SSN card will come in the mail in about 2 weeks.

K2 visa holders must first have a work permit (EAD) to get a social security number.

After marriage

The social security card will be marked “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH USCIS AUTHORIZATION”.  That means, you need to get your EAD first before you can actually work.  Hopefully, when you submitted your AOS you included the EAD. If not you will now need to submit the paperwork for an EAD prior to working.

Thank you and K1hopefulVisa for the information, I am also having the similar issue that SSA did not find us in their system (as K1 Visa, already married). We have been told that Dept of Homeland Security needs to verify and approve us before we get our SSN (been waiting 5 days). I'm frightened this may be bad news or perhaps DHS does need to verify? I just find it odd that the i94 doesnt expire with at least 2 mo. from today.

Seeing your response above, I too wonder I'd the SS agent didn't think the K1 was approved for SSN and messed up something. Should I go back in to discuss with them, or call SSA to discuss (will they be able to see what the SS agent entered in?) , or wait for the approve or denied letter? Also if denied for whatever reason, are we able to reapply? Thank you in advance for reviewing. 

Edited by Stass

2 hours ago, Stass said:

Thank you and K1hopefulVisa for the information, I am also having the similar issue that SSA did not find us in their system (as K1 Visa, already married). We have been told that Dept of Homeland Security needs to verify and approve us before we get our SSN (been waiting 5 days). I'm frightened this may be bad news or perhaps DHS does need to verify? I just find it odd that the i94 doesnt expire with at least 2 mo. from today.

Seeing your response above, I too wonder I'd the SS agent didn't think the K1 was approved for SSN and messed up something. Should I go back in to discuss with them, or call SSA to discuss (will they be able to see what the SS agent entered in?) , or wait for the approve or denied letter? Also if denied for whatever reason, are we able to reapply? Thank you in advance for reviewing. 

You can only apply for the SSN within the 90 days if you are single. Once you marry and elect to take on your new surname your card will be denied even if you try to apply before the 90 days are up because the name you tried to apply for the SSN in doesnt match your I94 name. 

Edited by K1visaHopeful

4 hours ago, Stass said:

For this to work you need the documents that I outline in my post and avail yourself to the timing. So best practice is once the beneficiary is in the US then in the first two weeks go to SS with the listed documents and with the printed RM10211.530 page and then you will not have a problem.

That's been my experience and therefore the instructions that I posted.

Missing any of the information sets you up for failure and marriage sets you back for the reasons K1hopefulVisa states.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I added a consulate review for Guayaquil, Ecuador.

https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=24881

10-23-2017 I-129F Sent

10-25-2017 NOA1

05-10-2018 NOA2 

05-29-2018 NVC Received

05-30-2018 NVC Case # Assigned

07-10-2018 Case In Transit

07-12-2018 Embassy received

10-03-2018 Interview (Approved!)

10-21-2018 POE 

11-28-2018 Wedding

01-11-2019 AOS/EAD filed (NOA1)

02-11-2019 Biometrics

03-25-2019 AOS Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

04-08-2019 Interview scheduled (for May 22nd)

05-22-2019 AOS Interview (no decision)

08-06-2019 EAD Approval

08-11-2022 RFE

10-24-2022 AOS Approval

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 8/6/2018 at 5:18 PM, DaveAndAnastasia said:

No. It's still helpful to get an SSN quickly, but there's no special urgency to do it before getting married unless there's a name change involved. You still want to do so before two weeks prior to your 90 days run out, so he'll have one without waiting for EAD.

hello, so we applied for SSN and he was denied. I am confused

1 hour ago, saeric said:

hello, so we applied for SSN and he was denied. I am confused

When did he apply? How many days left on his I94?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.