Boyd_M

Quickly Driving in the US

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Anyone have experience being able to drive when coming to the US.  In my state as long as you have valid Drivers lic and international permit, you can drive.  The problem is how can I obtain liability insurance for my fiancé?  My insurance company says I cannot add her until she has a valid driver's license, which maybe we can obtain the first day or two, but I am not sure.  Just wondering if anyone has been able to accomplish this.  I don't want her having to stay home all day while I am at work if it takes more than a few days to get the license.

She might has to wait for her EAD until she can get a US-license. I couldn't get my Georgia license until I got my EAD.

Go to your local DMV website to see the requirements for non US-citizens.

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

It might be difficult to find a company wiling to insure someone who does not have a valid license, but Google says it is possible....I would expect rates to be sky high.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I think CO allows 60 days for new Resident, Insurance was not a problem, was with State Farm.

See how long your State allows for new residents.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was able to get my license as soon as I got my social security card 

I showed them my social security card which you can get immediately (except have to wait for it in the mail)

I also had to give them my i94

And show them my Canadian license.

I only had to take the written exam (in illinois)

Some states require the driving depends on the state. 

I passed the exam and my drivers license came in the mail shortly after.

However it expired when my i94 expired.

So I have to wait on my ead now go extend it.

Every state is different with their expiry.

I got my drivers license here without EAD or GC. But DMV had to approve all my documents beforehand and I also had to have an SSN. This was my first ever license. I think its valid for 4 years.

Edited by Londonergirl

19 minutes ago, Marzena & Stephen said:

I was able to get my license as soon as I got my social security card 

I showed them my social security card which you can get immediately (except have to wait for it in the mail)

I also had to give them my i94

And show them my Canadian license.

I only had to take the written exam (in illinois)

Some states require the driving depends on the state. 

I passed the exam and my drivers license came in the mail shortly after.

However it expired when my i94 expired.

So I have to wait on my ead now go extend it.

Every state is different with their expiry.

7 minutes ago, Londonergirl said:

I got my drivers license here without EAD or GC. But DMV had to approve all my documents beforehand and I also had to have an SSN. This was my first ever license. I think its valid for 4 years.

I think it will be different for PH Driver's License Holder. Canada and UK have DL reciprocity agreement with US. 

In most states, DPS doesnt acknowledge a valid PH DL and doesn't automatically convert it without passing a road test. 

I got a PH DL when I first arrived here. I had to take both written and road test before I got my Driver's License. I got my Driver's License after getting my EAD

OP, I understand your concerns. Is your fiancee ready to drive here in U.S.? I am from PH too and even though I know how to drive in PH, I find it really different here and took a while for me to adjust. If this is her first time driving here in US, she may take a while to adjust. Probably, she'll have her EAD first before she can adjust to driving here. 

Pinoy Ako! ^_^

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 minutes ago, SB5130 said:

I think it will be different for PH Driver's License Holder. Canada and UK have DL reciprocity agreement with US. 

In most states, DPS doesnt acknowledge a valid PH DL and doesn't automatically convert it without passing a road test. 

I got a PH DL when I first arrived here. I had to take both written and road test before I got my Driver's License. I got my Driver's License after getting my EAD

OP, I understand your concerns. Is your fiancee ready to drive here in U.S.? I am from PH too and even though I know how to drive in PH, I find it really different here and took a while for me to adjust. If this is her first time driving here in US, she may take a while to adjust. Probably, she'll have her EAD first before she can adjust to driving here. 

I agree with having to take the driven exam. And adjusting :)

26 minutes ago, SB5130 said:

...Canada and UK have DL reciprocity agreement with US...

I think this is true only if you are visiting and using your existing DL to e.g. rent a car. If you are looking to obtain a State DL, then there is no reciprocity and you must pass whatever driving exam is required by your State. Here in Oregon, the DMV would not accept my UK DL (which I have had for over 44 years) and I had to pass both the written and practical exam before they would grant me one.

That said, my wife’s ex-husband was given an Arizona DL back in 2002 simply on the strength of his Egyptian one - don’t know if that still holds true, though, and given the state of his driving I most certainly hope not!

Timeline

Canadians often have advantages, depends on the State.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well i have verified that she can legally drive with a PH Drivers lic plus international permit.  It is the liability insurance that I am concerned about, until she can get her DL in my state.  She can take written and driving test with no wait, with the International permit.  I am wondering if a personal liability policy like on a travel insurance policy would be sufficient for that?

Timeline

She needs Auto Insurance.

We are in California and geico gave us car insurance even while we still had our foreign licenses. When we got our California licenses we just updated the insurance details. Not a problem at all.

I’m sure travel policies don’t cover you once you have become a resident.

Edited by SusieQQQ

18 minutes ago, OldBritAbroad said:

I think this is true only if you are visiting and using your existing DL to e.g. rent a car. If you are looking to obtain a State DL, then there is no reciprocity and you must pass whatever driving exam is required by your State. Here in Oregon, the DMV would not accept my UK DL (which I have had for over 44 years) and I had to pass both the written and practical exam before they would grant me one.

That said, my wife’s ex-husband was given an Arizona DL back in 2002 simply on the strength of his Egyptian one - don’t know if that still holds true, though, and given the state of his driving I most certainly hope not!

I said most. DPS requirements vary from state to state. Here in Texas, certain countries are waived from taking the driving test. 

"Applicants who have a valid, unexpired learner license from another U.S. state or U.S. territory, or Canada, France, South Korea, Germany or Taiwan and are applying for a Texas learner license, do not have to take the knowledge exam. If applying for a Texas driver license, these individuals must Complete the Impact Texas Driver course; and pass the skills exam.

Applicants who have a driver license from any country other than the U.S., Canada, France, South Korea, Germany or Taiwan must take and pass both the knowledge and skills exams. Select the following link for a complete list of requirements and more information on how to apply for a Texas driver license."

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/movingtotexas.htm

Pinoy Ako! ^_^

In general, insurance follows the car and not the driver. If the vehicle is insured, then any accidents had in the vehicle while she is driving and if she is at fault - falls on your insurance, regardless of if she has a personal plan or not. There may be some exceptions to the rule. The liability falls upon your plan, but how much liability is the question. You'll need to check the specifics of that plan and especially the exclusions. If she has obtained a US license and you have either given her permission to drive your vehicle (check with your insurer first) or you are required to add her to the insurance as a 'covered driver'. I'd think it'd be pretty difficult for her to obtain insurance until she has DMV documentation and not just her foreign license. Travel insurance won't cut it.

https://dcameragroup.com/does-automobile-insurance-follow-the-car-or-the-driver/

https://www.esurance.com/info/car/car-insurance-follows-the-driver-myth

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.